Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping in New York

^ ^ And the vendors / tables are a real pain for many of us who live down here -- as if the sidewalks weren't crowded enough ... get a gang of buyers in front of a table and 3/4 of the sidewalk is gone ... and line up the tables end to end down the full length of the block ... plus the fights at 8AM when one vendor feels his sacred spot has been infringed upon -- you can't imagine the yelling and screaming that ensue ...

Sometimes the thought of just shoving the whole tableful of knock-offs and cheapies into the street passes through my brain. But I get over it ...

Rant complete.

thx a lot for all your replies

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Lofter I agree. Broadway in SoHo on weekends is a nightmare.

I feel like walking over all the burnt copies of the movies and crap feeling them crunch under my shoes.

The RIAA has enough time and money to sue schoolgirls and grandmothers, but does very little to persue the ones that are not only copying their stuff, but SELLING it out on the street.

As for the knock-off dealers. If people were not so stupidly infatuated with ugly-as-sin Luis Vuitton(sp) handbags JUST BECAUSE LV designed them, maybe we would not have so many knockoffs.

And maybe China would not be so much of a threat to our national economy... (J/K)

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Ablarc, did your post change?
    When you change a post a little italicized notice appears at the bottom.

Default Shopping Madness

What's up with the insanity being displayed by X-Mas shoppers this season?

"Digital Rage" in Queens ( http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-314071c.html ) :
    Cops had to calm furious shoppers at Circuit City stores around town yesterday as bargain hunters discovered that laptops advertised at $200 were in short supply.

"They bum-rushed the store and we couldn't control the crowds," said a shaken manager at the Rego Park, Queens, store, where cops had to quell an angry throng of more than 500...

"They make us wait here for three to four hours and we leave with nothing. They played us," said Zeshan Haider, 33, of Jersey City, who got in line at 3:30 a.m. outside the Circuit City on E. 14th St. in Manhattan only to walk out empty-handed.
    Pepper Spray at Texas WalMart ( http://www.kbtv4.tv/news/default.asp...ownews&id=9901 ) :
    Early morning shoppers at Beaumontís Wal-Mart say they were pepper sprayed by an off-duty police officer working security as a large crowd gathered in the electronics department of the store.
    Fights in Orlando ( http://www.local6.com/news/5401142/detail.html ) :
    Orlando police officers were called to break up some fights between shoppers early Friday as Central Floridians flocked to stores for one of the busiest shopping days of the year, according to Local 6 News.
    Elderly lady trampled in S. Florida ( http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...home-headlines ) :
    The crowd of shoppers outside BrandsMart USA in Sawgrass Mills, angry at being forced to wait by security personnel, pushed their way under the security gate and down a hallway into the store, forcing dozens of people against the walls and trampling the woman.
    Mobs in Michigan ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051126/...ping&printer=1 ) :
    The bargains were so good at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. that things got out of hand.

In Cascade Township, east of Grand Rapids, Mich., a woman fell as dozens of people rushed into a store for the 5 a.m. opening. Several stepped on her, and a few became entangled as a man pushed them to the ground to keep them away.

When the rush ended, the woman and a 13-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.

I seriously think that many people believe this is the way you're expected to behave at the Black Friday sales. Why else would people get so worked up over saving some pittance on a sub-standard piece of electronic equipment?

I don't think that people realize that much of the sale items for Black Friday, are specifically made for the event. It's not like they are getting a $700 laptop for $200. They are getting a cheap laptop worth $200 FOR $200. They have saved NOTHING- especially their dignity, after acting like animals! It's sad & pathetic- I stay away from the stores the day after Thanksgiving.

But if you're not throwing a punch with one hand and securing your wig with the other, all the while grabbing for a $300 laptop, how are you going to make it onto the local news' weekly round-up of wacky clips?

Default Shopping in New York

I'm visiting New York for 5 days over Easter, and would like to do some serious shopping...Where are the best places to buy jeans - specifically brands that are ludicrously expensive in the UK such as 7 for All Mankind?
    I'm planning on visiting the big department stores, but wondered if anyone knew of any good little boutiques?

Thanks in advance.

Check out stores along lower Broadway between Houston & Grand in SoHo -- and side streets in that area ...

Make sure you include Century 21 on your list. Ridiculously good deals on jeans and everything else. But, get there early before it becomes a madhouse.

Well the Manhattan Mall is a good bet really for a mall type. If you are looking for the New York area in general try the Pallasades Center which is in Rockland County off the thruway, its exit 12ish I believe.

Default Selective Shopping

If you are looking for a concentration of shops,walk West along 34th Street from the Empire State.First,you get to pass through the gauntlet of sidewalk vendors along Broadway,and Macy's and the Manhattan Mall are right there in front of you at the starting line.
    34th is lined with retailers of all types,and as you cross Seventh you enter a cheap clothes zone.The manufacturers in the adjacent Garment District must use the stores in this area as an outlet for overstocked goods.

There are a dozen places selling things at unreal prices--leather stores,jeans shops,women's clothing,kid's stuff and men's clothing stores all line the block--and they have things like $12 jeans,$50 suede jackets and $3 dress shirts piled in huge mounds on display tables.Their inventory is amazing,and their service is crummy.You will always stand in long lines to cash out.

Once,I was on my way to meet someone Important and I had sweated through my dark shirt,making me look like I'd fallen in the pool.I stopped at one of these 34th St shops and bought a very nice dress shirt for $5 and made my meeting in a crisp,fresh,cotton button-down Emergency Shirt.

Also,don't forget Canal St,especially on weekends.You can find ANYTHING there,from eels to MP-3s,usually cheaper than you would believe.One time,a friend wanted to buy a t-shirt with "something about New York" on it,and the stuff he was looking at was like ten,fifteen dollars a shirt in The Village.Then we went to Canal,where we saw a million NY-themed shirts,3 for $10.Later,we saw a 4-for-ten vendor.

Century 21 is an amazing place to shop.It reminds me of a souk or a Mideast bazzar,and Chelsea Market is cool as well.SOHO has a few square blocks of retail,although a lot of the SOHO stuff is pricey,like The Village is around Bleeker or 4th.

Harlem has the best shopping, especially around Broadway and W 125th St.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast