Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping in New York

There are no stores at Broadway and 125th...only a McDonald's and I think some kind of deli.

Default looking for luggage

I'm looking for a roller bag that is either bootleg burberry, gucci, LV or something like that. Can anyone help me find the right street vendor, or shop?

e-mail me at joseph.ober@us.army.mil
    thanx

The Dude Abides

Try Little Korea - Broadway in the mid 20's. Lots of street vendors and small shops with discount bags, perfume, etc.

For bootleg, Canal Street might be a better choice...

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    There are no stores at Broadway and 125th...only a McDonald's and I think some kind of deli.
    Try going there and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab
    For bootleg, Canal Street ...
    Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC.

What do they contribute? Aside from crowding the sidewalks?

Basically they are thieves and all who buy from them are accomplices.

(I have a particular dislike as they are pervasive in my neighborhood -- and those seeking a "deal" flock to them like flies to sh!t. A good shoulder block seems to be the best way to pass through the throngs that fill the side WALK -- notice it is not called a side SHOP )

+++

Quote Originally Posted by capoeta cypher
    Parking lots, apartments in a park, a few shops. What are the great shops?

The shops on 125 all sell the exact same type of clothes, most of it deliriously oversized or of a very low quality. To tell people to go shopping there shows you have a very narrow sense of what's in style. Nike,Sean John, and Akademiks aren't most people's idea of great shopping. I suppose it's good if you're a teenybopper or something.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC.

What do they contribute? Aside from crowding the sidewalks?

(I have a particular dislike as they are pervasive in my neighborhood -- and those seeking a "deal" flock to them like flies to sh!t. A good shoulder block seems to be the best way to pass through the throngs that fill the side WALK -- notice it is not called a side SHOP )

+++
    The government overlooks the activity in Chinatown and allows bootleging to go on there.. It is like they are exempt from the laws all New Yorkers have to abide by.. It is different world on Canal Street that's for sure.

There are bootleg taxis too, you know.. I wouldn't mind if ALL bootleging stopped in NYC..

Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC
    You might hate me for this, but....Horsepucky, Lofter! They're part of the scene. People come here looking for them. If you choose to live in Soho, you gotta take the good with the bad. It's like living in Midtown and complaining about all those swarming, bothersome office workers in their French blue shirts. Gosh, they're always in my way.

The bigger thieves are found in the "legitimate" corporate stores. Actually, it's the genuine brand names that disgust me. Costs 10 cents to make something and sell it for 150 bucks. Soho has become a giant shopping mall of thievery. The real thieves are the ones selling ripped jeans for $ 252.

The people selling on the sidewalk are trying to scratch out a living, and not all the stuff is counterfeit, many are selling things they created themselves. To the people perched above in their 5 million dollar lofts, or on their way to buy a 6 dollar latté at some poo-poo-la-la café, cry me a river!
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; June 17th, 2006 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    If you choose to live in Soho, you gotta take the good with the bad.
    When I moved in down here they were nowhere around

But to the point: I've no problem with legit vendors -- but please keep them to their allotted 30" of space and away from doorways -- and don't be taking up half the sidewalk.

The bigger thieves are found in the "legitimate" corporate stores.
    Gotta agree with you there -- but I'm not buying much of that stuff.

The people selling on the sidewalk are trying to scratch out a living, and not all the stuff is counterfeit, many are selling things they created themselves.
    I specifically referred to bootleg / counterfeit / bogus items --

Not fair to accuse me of going after the other vendors when they weren't part of my post.

To the people perched above in their 5 million dollar lofts, or on their way to buy a 6 dollar latté at some poo-poo-la-la café, cry me a river!
    Clearly this doesn't describe me --

Maybe we should send some of the gang with their bogus CDs, fake Gucci bags, knock-off Rolex watches over to your building so they can spread out their counterfeit "wares" in front of your door

I might be mistaken, but it just seems like most of the vendors in Soho aren't selling bootleg stuff. There's so many selling beaded necklaces, graffitti caps, silver rings, hats, artwork, etc. etc. that the crowded condition of the sidewalks in Soho isn't mainly from knockoffs. I associate that more with Canal Street. For example, when I used to go down to Soho for the Apple Store(we midtowners have our own now, thank goodness), Prince Street was so crowded, I admit annoyingly so, but it was mostly with people selling offbeat things.

Didn't mean to go after you personally on the anti-bourgeois tip, but I see how you may have gotten that impression- sorry.

I really do despise what has happened to Soho. When I moved to New York, dewy-faced and headed to art school the following September, the vintage clothing dept. at Canal Jean Co. was my first job. I loved Soho at the time, and remember it well. Of course, Canal Jean Co. is now a Bloomingdales, and all of the characters like me that worked there have been replaced by fancy-pants label whores. The stores have all morphed into chains. A good portion of the street vendors, and longtime residents like yourself are the only ones still keeping it real I think.

aybe we should send some of the gang with their bogus CDs, fake Gucci bags, knock-off Rolex watches over to your building so they can spread out their counterfeit "wares" in front of your door
    Too late, I live above a busy stretch of Lexington, and exactly in front of my building there are guys like you describe. In fact, midtown is the fake Gucci and LV bag Capital aside from Chinatown. Between my door and Bloomingdales there must be a zillion. They don't bother me much. In fact, one of them is a great guy from West Africa with whom I often converse. He's lived everywhere! and what stories he has to tell.

Overall, I have more philosophical qualms with the real Gucci than with the guys selling fakes on the streets. When the street vendors-artists and bag hawkers alike- are booted from Soho and the corporate behemoths rule the neighborhood even more completely, it'll suck bad.

The shops on 125 all sell the exact same type of clothes, most of it deliriously oversized or of a very low quality. To tell people to go shopping there shows you have a very narrow sense of what's in style. Nike,Sean John, and Akademiks aren't most people's idea of great shopping. I suppose it's good if you're a teenybopper or something.
    What do you expect, I'm black.

... when I used to go down to Soho for the Apple Store(we midtowners have our own now, thank goodness), Prince Street was so crowded, I admit annoyingly so, but it was mostly with people selling offbeat things.
    When I first moved down here you could play football on Prince St. on a Saturday afternoon!! No cars parked on the streets (as almost all of the few businesses down this way back then were strictly M-F, with a few open on Sunday) and barely a car passing through ...

Canal Jean Co. is now a Bloomingdales, and all of the characters like me that worked there have been replaced by fancy-pants label whores.
    But that horrid Bloomingdales is always EMPTY of shoppers (salespeople invariably outnumber customers 3 - 1)...

Revenge !!

When the street vendors-artists and bag hawkers alike- are booted from Soho and the corporate behemoths rule the neighborhood even more completely, it'll suck bad.
    Seems that the craftsmen / bona fide vendors / artists have won that war via the courts ... but it does seem that to allow them shoulder-to-shoulder table-to-table along an entire block could be viewed as detrimental to the public interest. If you can't walk down the sidewalk to do needed personal business (post office, bank, food shopping, etc.) in the neighborhood then something's gotta give.

My answer to that problem: Do all local business before 11 AM.

(And don't go west of Broadway into SoHo if at all possible on either Saturday or Sunday ... walk around it )

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast