Thread: New Jersey Picks a Slogan

Default New Jersey Picks a Slogan

January 13, 2006

New Jersey Picks a Slogan: Come Read It for Yourself

By RICHARD LEZIN JONES

TRENTON, Jan. 12 - When Gov. Richard J. Codey asked for suggestions for a new state slogan, more than 8,000 poured into his office.

"Most of Our Elected Officials Have Not Been Indicted" was eliminated early. "Love at First Sight" was a strong contender.

After inviting residents to vote on five finalists, Mr. Codey announced the winner on Thursday: "New Jersey: Come See for Yourself."

He made the announcement roughly 100 feet from where about a dozen exotic dancers were protesting some unrelated legislation on the State House steps.

"I can't bear it," Mr. Codey said when asked about the coincidence, drawing groans from reporters who had gathered to hear the state's new catchphrase.

Mr. Codey was not nearly so happy with the slogan, "We'll Win You Over," which the state paid an ad agency about $250,000 to develop last fall. He said he believed it was too negative and prone to ridicule. Besides, Mr. Codey said, it reminded him of his own self-deprecating pitch when he asked girls out for dates.

So in October, Mr. Codey scrapped the agency's proposal and asked New Jerseyans to come up with a slogan. Five finalists were selected from the 8,000 entries. More than 11,000 state residents then cast their votes by fax, e-mail and phone.

The new slogan was the brainchild of Jeffrey Antman, 50, of Passaic. One of his duties as an employee of New Jersey Transit is to come up with ad slogans. (He wore a button on his lapel with another of his creations: "The Tunnel - Dig It.")

"It was an epiphany," Mr. Antman said, referring to the new state slogan, which edged out the second-place "New Jersey: The Best Kept Secret" by a few more than 100 votes.

With tourism accounting for 500,000 jobs and $4 billion in tax revenue, Mr. Codey said there were significant stakes behind the new slogan.

"I think that embodies the pride that we have in our state," Mr. Codey said. "We know it's a great state. We're more than just the Turnpike, that's for sure. There's a lot of beauty out there."

He probably meant for tourists to look beyond sights like the demonstrators outside, who were protesting the new ban on smoking in indoor public places that was passed this week by the New Jersey Legislature and which he said he plans to sign into law on Sunday.

Billed as the "100 Stripper March" by a local radio station that promoted it, the protest actually drew about a dozen dancers - clad in nothing more revealing than miniskirts or halter tops - and about 500 mostly male onlookers.

The governor said that he hoped the ban would protect employees like nightclub dancers from second-hand smoke. He also deflected concerns that the ban might mean lost business.

"Where are these quote-unquote gentlemen going to go? New York City?" Mr. Codey said, referring to New York's ban. "It's just a matter of time before you can't go anywhere in a public place and smoke. And I think that's good for all of us."

* Copyright 2006The New York Times Company

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

"New Jersey: Come See for Yourself" . . . the stereotypes and preconceptions you may have of it are actually quite true.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    "New Jersey: Come See for Yourself" . . . the stereotypes and preconceptions you may have of it are actually quite true.
    Not really. Be nice or you will get JC in here yellin at ya...

Better Slogan:

"New Jersey: We're not ALL like Newark"

Anywho. The part of NJ that everyone gets to see is Newark/Raritan and the refineries. One of THE worst areas in all of NJ.

Most people I have brought out to the reserves (liek the Ramapo Reserves) cannot believe that we are still in NJ.

Hell, NJ is not the best state, but I am so sick of people (New Yorkers, mainly) treating it as if it were the gum stuck on the bottom of their shoe.

Maybe that is the only reason that most NYers can justify paying such outrageous rents and property costs: "At least it ain't Jersey!!!"

Bleh.

Double Bleh.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You have to admit that with slogans, the jokes were inevitable.
    BTW, why is NJ the butt of so many jokes but no one seems to poke fun of CT?

If you go away from the northeast, the whole state of New York gets pretty much the same bum rap. Though NY has its share of over-industrialized, downtrodden, crime-ridden, and polluted places, people living in most areas of the state certainly don't enjoy knowing that people think their state is a smelly wasteland. Trust me, they do, I spent a decade living out there and defending it to no avail.

I think Connecticut deserves it as much as anywhere, they have their really bad areas, but that's not the stereotype. They're known for their wealth and cozy communities, attributes that both NY and NJ share. Stereotypes are what they are: oversimplified and hard to shake.

Smile

Ok your right I just got back from Miami and I'm all over this Ninja. Number one, the refineries and factories along the turnpike, people gotta understand that if you are the most densely populated state in the union (NJ:1,536 people psqmi--National Average: 80 people psqmi) wedgeded between two major cities (NYC and PHILA) and you have big crowded cities and burbs of your own (JC, NWK,ELBTH, etc..), a major North an South corridor for comapnies and industry you are gonna be tapped for resources from all sides. Take any state in the union our size or slighlty and put it where we are, lets see how pretty your main drag looks after all those factors are put into play.

Also the pollution jokes are getting old, we have one the most strigent water tresting rules in the country, we just voted on reducuing all emissions by 10% and it passed, and all those polluted sites are mostly on the properties of the factories that you see on the turnpike, not in peoples homes and streets, so for all the Jersey haters grow up and get new material!!!

Most def NYKnight. Jersey is the richest state in the union, with many celebrities calling it their home, so we can't be all that bad. Do we got our bad parts yes Camden and Newark being most prolific, but as does every state Connecticut and NY state being the closest. We lead the nations in manufacturing, patents, medical research, etc.. We are one of the best states in the US and anyone who doubts it better check the facts. We have great museums, awesome state parks, deverse ecosystems, awesome beaches!!!!!etc.. New Jersey: Expect the Unexpected (my state slogan pick)

Also don't forget New Jersey started in Jersey City!!!! First european settlement in the state 1660!!!!! Gotta defend my state!!!! Thank the good Lord for making me a New Jerseyean!!!!!!

Cool Ideas for new slogans

New ideas for slogans given #15 in the nation Rutgers football help raising the profile of the state.

Another one I saw on a T-shirt from Solid Threads in Hoboken.

( I like that one personally, just give the middle finger to all the haters.)

Heres another slogan....

Also here is the link for my Jersey friends who love giving the middle finger to all other states, especially New York, check out the New Jersey F* You catagory. http://www.solidthreads.com/servlet/...ategory=jsMens

All time fav; "New Jersey, Only The Strong Survive"

Banned Member

I like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ismellnj.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4828  

Default Take this..

Hey Brooklynrider take this..
    Last edited by JCMAN320; September 11th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I like this...
    lmao!!