Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 West 72nd Street - (a.k.a. 2075 Broadway) - UWS - Condo - by Handel Architects

According to "Curbed" this is what is going up on the SW corner ...

http://www.curbed.com/:
    There will be l be 19 stories of lux condos and lower-level retail. Possession in early '08.
    Here's the pdf for the brochure: http://www.rkf.com/pdf/2005_Exclusiv...5_Broadway.pdf

That is a shame that is only 19 floors... they could have gone about 30 stories in that area.

Is this really better than the Alexandria?

^ You're setting a pretty low bar with the Alexandria, but this one doesn't reach it.

Unfortunate that this it what wil go up there.

It´s 72nd street and B´way... I think of literary-intellectual....and the solidity of those timeless brownstones and big old apartment houses in the area... a place that´s homey and neighborly... a bit of the Left Bank of Paris. What does THIS glass thing have anything to do with that?. OF COURSE the web-site and brochure will show those timeless brownstones and big old apartment houses in the area... a place that´s homey and neighborly... a bit of the Left Bank of Paris.

The dog bites it´s tail ....and ´round and ´round slowly down the drain...

What a ... crime! The developer should be hung, drawn and quartered. I hope that he goes bankrupt.
    Last edited by Edward; February 10th, 2006 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language

Default I hope this is a rough rendering

I hope this is just a rough rendering of what a 19 story cube looks like (from some cheap software) as opposed to the actual design. I will have the misfortune of looking at this from my place at the Alexandria (which, contrary to some posters here, I believe is a pretty nice design compared to many of the boxes in the neighborhood). I will miss looking into the Yoga studio. Doesn't this still have to go through various approval processes? I don't think plans have been filed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYrkrOne
    ...the Alexandria (which, contrary to some posters here, I believe is a pretty nice design compared to many of the boxes in the neighborhood).
    Agreed, but that makes us a minority on this forum.

Which building, exactly, is the Alexandria?

Anyway, the UWS is hardly the province of flashy glass facades. Something a bit more reverent would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Which building, exactly, is the Alexandria?
    Post #9 this thread, second picture.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Anyway, the UWS is hardly the province of flashy glass facades.
    Even worse: attached to clunky massing and atrocious proportions.

Ugh.

Ah yes...well the Alexandria is shitty as architecture but certainly less offensive as a nondescript UWS building than this.

Default The Alexandria from The Upper West Side Book

The Alexandria

201 West 72nd Street

The Alexandria, left, and the Ansonia, right
    By Carter B. Horsley
    The most attractive new building on the Upper West Side in decades, this 25-story, 202-unit condominium building abounds in nice architectural touches.
    Its location on the northwest corner of Broadway at 72nd Street (in the lee of the taller Ansonia one block north) makes it highly visible from the south and its distinctive watertank enclosure is a wonderful Post-Modern concoction of Egyptian motifs.

Handsome watertank enclosure
    The façade of the building is richly colored in reds, whites and greens and sports very handsome white grill balcony railings.
    The apartment layouts are quite spacious and many of the units have very tall ceilings.
    While most other new buildings of the period have tried to be contextual (with strong urging from the city's zoning), this building, which was developed by Peter L. Malkin, Arthur G. Cohen and William Zeckendorf Jr. and partners and designed by Frank Williams & Associates and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill has gone the extra distance and been original.
    The building was completed in 1991 and is one of the best new buildings in the city in a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYrkrOne
    I hope this is just a rough rendering of what a 19 story cube looks like (from some cheap software) as opposed to the actual design. I will have the misfortune of looking at this from my place at the Alexandria (which, contrary to some posters here, I believe is a pretty nice design compared to many of the boxes in the neighborhood). I will miss looking into the Yoga studio. Doesn't this still have to go through various approval processes? I don't think plans have been filed yet.

I am ok with the Alexandria... But the only thing I have against it is the top. I just don't care too much for it. Take the top off or change it and the building will look better. But even so, I don't think the building is a 'wow' kind of building. It is just another ok looking building.

I have a question NewYrkrOne... those windows that front broadway... they are huge... are they like 2 floors of an apartment or I am wrong about that.
    Last edited by krulltime; November 10th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.

I also like the Alexandria. I think it's playful and distinctive.

The Alexandria is certainly no more gauche than the overwrought prewars lining Riverside Drive from the West 70's through Washington Heights.

The new building looks fine. I think we need to see more detail before drawing final conclusions. Simple background modernism is good for this crossroads.

I didn't know that the Alexandria was built in 1991.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast