Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 West 72nd Street - (a.k.a. 2075 Broadway) - UWS - Condo - by Handel Architects

Here is the bigger rendering....

I mean are they serious with those trees... and what is with that top? You know maybe I could be wrong but maybe they can only built 20 floor maximum on that corner... I am just not too sure.
    Last edited by krulltime; November 10th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.

At least we didn't get saddled with an exposed floorplate "brick luxury" tower.

However, the proportions of this building are truly abysmal.

I've never understood why community groups think having a thin and tall building with nice proportions is somehow worse than a fat and medium sized building that will surely block out all light.

Crude.

Primitive.

Unworthy.

Default Alexandria duplexes

You are correct. Those apartments facing Broadway are one bedroom duplexes, with double floor windows.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I've never understood why community groups think having a thin and tall building with nice proportions is somehow worse than a fat and medium sized building that will surely block out all light.
    It's plausible that building tall will make a building out of scale in delicately-scaled surroundings, but that's not really the factor that counts; it's really footprint. A twenty-story building on the footprint of a townhouse is unlikely to shatter the scale of most prized streetscapes, but a single-story building sprawled across half a block sure as hell would. Most folks don't have much analytical power when it comes to such matters, which is why they reach for glib theories. Education would help.

A glass walled building on that corner ...in that sea of brick cannot... and will not be a "background building".

If you squint your eyes the Alexandria is great... and Krulltimes photo shows how it´s wedding-cake style is right for the area. But from a street-side view the details look extra cheap to me. The white painted metal is especially gruesome. But it´s eccentric... and better for that corner than a glass box or balconied slab would´ve been.

The UWS did get a few nice buildings along b´way. This one does no damage:

http://thecityreview.com/uws/bway/coronado.html

Note the entrance... and they even handled those airconditiong ducts pretty nicely. This will age well.

19-story condo building planned for Broadway and 72nd Street

10-FEB-06

A 19-story residential condominium building is planned for 2075 Broadway on the southwest corner at 72nd Street.

Robert K. Futterman & Associates is marketing retail space in the development which will have 115 feet of frontage on Broadway and 119 feet on West 72nd Street.

A rendering of the project indicates that the building will have two small setbacks on its main facades, which will be all glass. Possession is estimated for early 2008.

The retail space being marketing totals 49,478 square feet with 10,880 square feet on the ground floor, 12,486 square feet on the second floor and 26,112 square feet on two lower levels.

The site is currently occupied by a six-story building with a rounded corner at 72nd Street. It is directly across Broadway from the 72nd Street IRT subway station and across 72nd Street from the handsome Alexandria apartment building.

Attempts to reach the developer and Mr. Futterman by CityRealty.Com were unsuccessful.

Details about the developer, the number of units and the architect were unavailable.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY

Haha "handsome" Alexandria? What tremendous journalism.

Can someone give me a little insight into how this process works? Is there any oversight over what gets built in a neighborhood. I've heard of community boards, but I'm not really sure of how they work or the extent of influence that they have.

And with crap like this going up in such a great neighborhood it is at least obvious to me that they don't have any influence!

What a shame.

Unless the area is a Landmarked district or a Historic designated area there are no design guidelines beyond zoning regulations.

Pity.

This building is nouveau riche to the extreme. It screams, "look at me ... see how up-to-date I am!".

Horrendous for the neighborhood.

It reminds me of the cheap glass towers thrown up across Central/Eastern Europe circa 1993 to proclaim "we have flashy free market capitalism now, and to prove it we copied the marvelous architecture of the US sunbelt!"

Maybe wirednewyork posters can shame this developer into rethinking this POC.

Angry Historic 1888 Colonial Club on UWS Doesn't Deserve Demolition!!!

***Please write letters &/or e-mails ASAP to the Landmarks Preservation Commission, urging landmark designation of the 1888 Colonial Club building on the SW corner of Bway & W 72nd St. It was once one of the most popular clubs on the UWS & essential to the history of W 72nd St, being its most significant structure. Now, 118 years later, it deserves restoration & adaptive re-use. The 72nd St/UWS Historic District needs to be expanded to include all the townhouses & former clubs between Bway & Amsterdam. The stark modern high-rise is out of scale in that vicinity! Please encourage other people to write letters as well!!! Councilmember Gale Brewer and Landmarks West tried contacting the Landmarks Commission, & Chairman Tierney turned his back. We the people, & the commission, a city agency, should be serving us!!!

Mr. Robert Tierney, Chairman
    c/o NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission
    1 Centre St, 9th Floor
    New York, N.Y. 10007
    rtierney@lpc.nyc.gov & CC MBetts@lpc.nyc.gov
    Follow up with phone calls: (212) 669-7700 (Dial "1" & then dial "Tierney")
    Carbon copy unlockthevault@hotmail.com since it would be helpful to our cause. Thanks!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Can we see what this 1888 building looks like that we are asking to save?

I don't think I mind a new building where this 1888 building is really... It is not much to look at anyway... But I will like to see a better looking bulding than what is been proposed.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast