Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 West 72nd Street - (a.k.a. 2075 Broadway) - UWS - Condo - by Handel Architects

Exclamation Municipal Arts Society

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    So again I ask... you or anyone else here:

"if it wasnt for them WHO would have pushed for the historic districts that the area does boast? The developers? The city government? "
    This is just one - of many similar organizations.

p.s. thers is a good book I just read on the history of the organization: The title is "Shaping the City" by Gregory F. Gilmartin.
    Last edited by infoshare; January 30th, 2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo

That is a wonderful example and makes my point:

The organizations founding:

"Meeting in a West 57th Street studio, a group of NEW YORK ARTISTS, architects and INTERESTED LAYMEN organize the Municipal Art Society to provide New York City parks and public buildings with the finest murals and sculptures, financed by Society dues. “To make us love our city,” they declare, “we must make our city lovely.”

A bit more about the history of the organization:

1987 The MAS forces the city and a developer to scale back a proposal for a massive tower at the southwest corner of Central Park, on the former site of the New York Coliseum."

When massive development threatens the Times Square district, the MAS campaigns successfully to landmark the area’s theaters, helping preserve the unique neighborhood character.

In a decision that draws worldwide attention, the Supreme Court of the United States upholds the constitutionality of New York City’s Landmarks Law, overturning a lower court decision and in effect preserving Grand Central Terminal, one of New York’s great Beaux Arts structures. The MAS takes the lead in the case, ORGANIZING PUBLIC RALLIES, launching a publicity campaign, and hiring a legal team to defend the Landmarks Law.

The MAS and LIKE_MINDED GROUPS succeed in getting city to create the Landmarks Preservation Commission, but this victory comes too late to save many important buildings, including the Brokaw Mansion and Pennsylvania Station. PUBLIC OUTRAGE over their destruction convinces politicians that a landmarks commission is needed.

----

In fact: the shortcomings of the present Landmarks Commision will ONLY be changed by an outraged public. And that means organizing community groups.

The Historic Districts Council

It was founded by MAS in 1971, and became an independent organization in 1986. They work directly with community groups in seeking historic designation by the LPC.

A classic example of the politics involved in neighborhood designation is Park Slope in Brooklyn.

Historic district Map and Proposed Extension

The extended district closely resembles what was originally proposed to the LPC: The area from 6th Ave to PPW, Park Pl to 10th St.

From the HDC webpage:
    However, in designating the Park Slope Historic District, the Commission chose an overly strict interpretation of the “Park Slope” neighborhood. The Commission designated a jagged, L-shaped district that primarily protected the blocks between Prospect Park West and Eighth Avenue. The almost-entire omission of Seventh Avenue, Park Slope’s commercial strip, was a reflection of the Commission’s reluctance in its early years to designate and regulate commercial buildings within residential districts. The architecture of the many un-designated blocks in Park Slope is similar in integrity, style and period of development of the blocks that have been protected for over thirty years.
    A walk down 7th Ave and the blocks to 6th Ave should convince anyone how absurd the omission is.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Getting back to the topic on hand, which is, why there hasn't been more resistance on the part of the Community to prevent 2075 from getting made over.

Again, my point about UWS NIMBYs are reinforced once more.

While they had a hand in pushing for a historic district (which Fabrizio would like us all to revel in), there is absolutely no doubt and even they will admit, their motive for which is not so much in the interest of preservation but to stymie large new developments.

If the apathy in saving this building isn't enough prove, then the case of 245 W. 60th St. is further proof of this.

That very same UWS Community devoted more effort to prevent the developer from building a potentially tall tower on this site:

...then they have for 2075.

What does that say about their interest at heart, preservation or obstruction?

You tell me.

And while we're all in the mood of heaping praise onto groups that pushed for landmarking districts, why don't go a bit further and really give credit where credit is due: the original developers of these landmarked buildings, without whom there'd be no buildings for the Community to preserve?

Many of the "developers" of buildings in SoHo & Tribeca (100 - 150 years ago) were individual businessmen building for their own use. Many of them have their names emblazoned atop their buildings.

Charles Broadway Rouss is one.

Next time you're down that way look up and you'll see that they are remembered -- by those who take an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Getting back to the topic on hand, which is, why there hasn't been more resistance on the part of the Community to prevent 2075 from getting made over....

That very same UWS Community devoted more effort to prevent the developer from building a potentially tall tower on this site:

...then they have for 2075.

What does that say about their interest at heart, preservation or obstruction?

You tell me.
    They are retarded and obstructionist. In addition to the loss of this building, consider the beautiful townhouse that will be razed on the midblock in the 70's and replaced with a 20 story tower! Also, I am next to certain that Gershon the Philistine is razing a MAGNIFICENT Victorian townhouse on WEA just south of 86th St. The schmucks on the UWS don't protest these horrific losses. Instead, they bitch and moan about projects in crappy areas that you alluded to and about a very nice project on West 72nd that will replace crap. They're retarded schmucks.

Default What will be built there?

Two of the four buildings have been demolished so far. I am hearing different things regarding what will be built there. Brochure from RKF says 19 story condo building with 4 floors of retail. I also heard it may be a rental. Anyone have reliable info?

Quote Originally Posted by NewYrkrOne View Post
    Two of the four buildings have been demolished so far. I am hearing different things regarding what will be built there. Brochure from RKF says 19 story condo building with 4 floors of retail. I also heard it may be a rental. Anyone have reliable info?
    The only info we have is on this thread.. and it aint pretty.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8264

who is the DEVELOPER of this new condo development.?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffpark View Post
    who is the DEVELOPER of this new condo development.?

I hear it will probably be a rental building. Don't know who the developer is.

The last of the former Colonial Club Building from the end of March ...

Thumbs down

Oh God no...

RFK

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Oh God no...

RFK
    This is a crime. The building that was there was beautiful. This building is fine but does not even remotely fit into the area. Also, the real kick in the nads is that the two filthy buildings just south of this site remain in all of their decrepit "glory".

This reminds me of Plantation Place in London with the odd stone fins protruding from the glass structure.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:00 PM.

Where is this rendering is coming from? Is there a community approval process that this needs to go through?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast