Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lucida - 151 East 85th Street - Condo (UES) - by Cook + Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    I would like to see a Crown Fried Chicken take its place. jk.

If Im not mistaken isnt there a Whole Foods at 2nd Avenue and 86th?
    There is no Whole Foods on 2nd and 86th that I know of and I'm in that neighborhood fairly often.

I wish we would see a Crown Fried Chicken but I'm afraid they might just be too cool for 86th street.

I'd bet on a Kennedy Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    There is no Whole Foods on 2nd and 86th that I know of and I'm in that neighborhood fairly often.

I wish we would see a Crown Fried Chicken but I'm afraid they might just be too cool for 86th street.

I'd bet on a Kennedy Fried Chicken
    There's some gourmet supermarket at 86th and 2nd. I live in the neighborhood. Even if its not a Whole Foods another supermarket along those lines is not necessary. Then again another third large book store isn't needed within a couple block radius.

I'm glad that not all of the old buildings there are being torn down. According to the rendering, three nice old ones between this new building and the filthy high rise on the southwest corner of 86th and Third will remain.

By the way, it appears that all of the storefronts of the filthy high rise are being renovated too, including the sunken retail plaza.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; February 2nd, 2006 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    By the way, it appears that all of the storefronts of the filthy high rise are being renovated too, including the sunken retail plaza.
    I'm glad to see some work being done there. I remember the sunken plaza was closed several years ago when Blade's, one of the last tenants in that court, left. The sunken plaza is truly awful -- I hope the renovations will rid us of that blight.

I've been in the building once, I know someone who lives there, it's truly a gigantic apartment complex with dual elevator banks.

The lobby is very strange with a circular doorway entrance.

It will be a Barnes and Noble! Thankfully they will be closing atleast one, and hopefully they will be closing the other, to allow for one B+N superstore.

NYPOST:

NEXT LEX COMPLEX

By STEVE CUOZZO

April 4, 2006 -- THE corner of Lexington Avenue and East 86th Street can finally say goodbye to fast-food joints and junk stores.

Barnes & Noble booksellers and fashion sportswear giant H&M have signed leases for a total 85,000 square feet in Gary Barnett's planned new apartment/retail project at the intersection's long-shabby southeast corner.

The two deals are a milestone in the upscaling of East 86th Street, which has been searching for a clear retail identity ever since the disappearance of its once numerous German-American restaurants and food shops.

H&M and Barnes & Noble are gobbling up most of the 100,000 square feet of retail in the 400,000-square-foot project to be built by Barnett's Extell Development Co., which will demolish eight old buildings on the site.

The Extell project and another apartment/retail development planned by the Related Cos. one block east at Third Avenue will at last rid 86th Street of consecutive southeast corners with schlocky shops that seemed out of place on the Upper East Side.

Few Manhattan streets have had so choppy a retail legacy as East 86th, once the main drag of "Germantown" with eateries such as Kleine Konditorei and food halls including Bremen House.

The stretch never quite got over the failure of Gimbel's East, which opened at the northwest corner of Lexington in the 1970s and was converted to condos a few years later. While many New Yorkers still miss Gimbel's Herald Square flagship, about the only memory of the uptown offshoot survives in the opening pages of William Goldman's thriller novel, "Marathon Man."

Despite the arrival in recent years of national chains such as Banana Republic and Victoria's Secret, East 86th's retail potential was hampered by the stubborn presence of bargain shops and fast-food outlets that clung to their tenement building homes.

The particularly unappealing southeast corners of Third and Lexington avenues, the latter on top of a subway station, will soon give way to new 20-story, mostly condo apartment buildings.

Extell still has a few tenants to clear out, but it's plowing ahead with the new store leases. CB Richard Ellis's Jedd Nero and Robert Gibson represented H&M, which took 30,000 square feet. Nero said that for H&M, which has eight other Manhattan locations, "This is a market that we wanted to penetrate due to the area's residential density and heavy pedestrian traffic. It's a seven-day market."

Nero said the recent coming of national retailers had drawn more upscale shoppers to East 86th Street and made it a "proven area. H&M doesn't look to recreate the wheel."

Extell was represented by CBRE's Gary Trock, who concurred, "We're creating the environment for a very strong shopping district." He said Extell was asking "in excess of $300 a square foot" for sidewalk-level space. H&M will have 4,000 feet on the ground and the rest on the second floor.

The giant new Barnes & Noble, with 55,000 square feet, will have space on the sidewalk and concourse levels. The chain was repped by Robert K. Futterman, who was traveling yesterday and could not be reached.

Barnes & Noble Chief Operating Officer Mitchell Klipper said, "We've been looking for a really big store in this area a long time. It's a great residential market, and we wanted a superstore" similar in size to the chain's jumbos at Lincoln Center and Union Square.

Klipper said it would close a 12,000 square-foot B&N across from the development site when the new building opens. But it's keeping its options open for its 25,000-foot store a block and a half east at 240 E. 86th St., which it might keep open or put up for sublease. "We have almost three years to make that decision," he said.

Meanwhile, Related Cos. honcho David Wine said his company "should start construction by the end of the year" on its condo project at Third and 86th, which will have only 25,000 square feet of stores.

Supposedly, the original design that was released a few months ago has been scrapped. One of the nice old buildings on 86th had been saved. I guarantee that Gershon is now tearing that one down too. I am not a fan of this guy.

It's incredible that it's taken this long for a developer to take advantage of the express station at 86th St and Lex. Talk about a no-brainer.

I walked by the site today and can confirm that the stooge, Gershon Barnett, is tearing down the one nice old building that initially was to be saved. It's BS.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I've been in the building once, I know someone who lives there, it's truly a gigantic apartment complex with dual elevator banks.

The lobby is very strange with a circular doorway entrance.
    This was the building used in the credits for "The Jeffersons"

Quote Originally Posted by shua22
    This was the building used in the credits for "The Jeffersons"
    True. I asked the doorman about a year ago, if in fact it was. He confirmed it and said that he gets asked it all the time.

I took a short walk today and took some pictures of the buildings that are/are going to be taken down.

First here are the buildings that are already midway through being demolished. They are on the NE corner of 85th and Lex.

The front of the buldings:

Here is the SE corner of 86th and Lex, these buildings are to the immediate left of the buildings in the previous picture. All of the buildings in sight are being taken down (except the tall grey one on the left, the "Jeffersons building"). Some of them were pretty ugly to begin with, especially the grey one in the middle that the Rite Aid was in, but I think the brick one on the far left was a very pleasant looking building.

And now, here is the SE corner of 86th and 3rd. Construction has not begun yet but all retail shops are vacated and I don't think there is anyone living in these buildings. The Yellow buildings and the tiny one story shops on the far left are the buildings to be replaced. All of the yellow buldings are very run down but the exterior designs in the brick are very nice. I imagine they are quite old too.

Here are the yellow buildings from another angle across the street on the west side of 3rd between 86th and 85th streets. I will miss the buildings, but I admit I will not miss most of these stores. (could that cingular store be any uglier?)

Here's a highlight using Google Earth to show a bird's eye view of whats going down.

Well there's my part of archiving New York city's architectural history, hope you all enjoyed.
    Last edited by King of Yorkville; June 10th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Those buildings look so sad but then you notice the effort gone into their decoration and the nice proportions of those widows, the iron work...you imagine them restored with cornices and window boxes and awnings... creating a relief from those excruciatingly bland, faceless condos nearby. Look at that thing across the street...your eyes just glaze over.

Anyway, what ever goes here...letīs hope itīs something nice.

Now I know why I'm never drawn up to visit that part of the City ...

As I look at the pictures again, it looks like the yellow building on 3rd with the nice ironwork has some people living in it, there is definitly some stuff in the windows. Perhaps thats why they haven't started building there yet.

"Now I know why I'm never drawn up to visit that part of the City ... "

Thatīs what some would like to turn the Upper West side (97th to 110th street) into.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast