Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Lucida - 151 East 85th Street - Condo (UES) - by Cook + Fox

I just walked by last night, and it looked to me that pretty much everything but the building on the NE corner, the one right by the subway station, had been knocked down.

I think they're going around the corner. They've got everythen from the corner of 85th to the building on the corner of 86th. They'll take that down, and the two buildings to the east of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I just walked by last night, and it looked to me that pretty much everything but the building on the NE corner, the one right by the subway station, had been knocked down.

Excavation is underway at both sites- still no (new) renderings?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You're in luck.

There's a rendering for the E. 86th St. / Third Ave. building here.

This morning, I noticed that they were taking down another building on the 85th St side of the Lexington Ave site. They had been done with the demo a few weeks ago, I'm wondering if they somehow recently folded that now deceased building into the project.

I found a link that gives a brief history of one of the buildings that stood on the corner of 86th and 3rd, the one that used to have the photo developers. Apparently it used to be a hotel.

http://velvet-sea.blogspot.com/2006/...ls-old-ad.html

It feels so weird walking down 86th street and seeing those empty spaces. :-/

EDIT: Here's another article that gives some history, the building was almost 150 years old.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/06/0...te/04scap.html (halfway through)
    Last edited by King of Yorkville; December 5th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.

In case anyone cares, they're deep into foundation excavation. They're down at least two storeys. They're hoe-ramming through solid schist (carefully to avoid collapsing the Lexington Avenue IRT).

It's going to be a big basement. I'm guessing they're going to try to rent first basement level as a selling basement (a la the Best Buy cattie corner)

I was there the other day and everything is down besides 3 buildings on 85th Street 155, 157, & 159 East 85th Street,
    But there is a possibility that Gary will demolish 155 East 85th Street, because he has the land lease from the Goldman's on this property.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The Lucida.

Default random thoughts on the neighborhood

I live many blocks and several avenues away, but a lot of times when my wife and I are bored, we walk up to this area for food, movies, bookstore, windowshopping, etc. There's plenty of restaurants on 2nd ave, so in terms of neighborhood, this is sadly where you go on the UES (and are not a Madison/5th ave shopper). So I think UES residents will be anxiously awaiting the retail coming in.

The express stop should also make it nice for residents during rush hour. This thing is going to be massive though, i remember walking by all the closed down buildings...

This and 2nd avenue subway coming in as I'm leaving, heh
    Last edited by spaceboy; March 23rd, 2007 at 01:38 AM.

One of my least favorite parts about these buildings is that they are going to block out the sun on 86th. I've always thought that 86th st was a great walk during the spring and summer because it's for the most part surrounded by short buildings that let in sunlight to the street level. I think that if too many buildings are built here in the future, it will kill some of the retail appeal of the area. Compare 86th between York and 1st with 86th between 1st and 2nd to see what I mean. York and 1st is dark and gloomy because there is rarely any sunlight reaching the sidewalk, due to the fact that it is almost entirely made up of highrises. The few retail spots between york and 1st rarely look like they have good business.

I suppose the high traffic due to the express stop will keep the place crowded though.

The Dude Abides

What do you mean? 86th is a very wide east-west street. There's almost always some direct sunlight, save for the few weeks during the winter when the days are too short and the sun is low. These are not highrises going up.

June 8, 2007:

The Dude Abides

6/23: This one's almost up to street level.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast