Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: The Remy - 101 West 28th Street - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Is this thing "as of right" or will this be another one of those that will languish for a few years and never be heard of again?

Well if it is been advertise on the New york Times I think is a go... I think, but I could be wrong, but in New york city, Developers have to get a building permit for the site before they start advertising and selling. So in a sense, they are ready to built.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    I don't mind a sliver building on a corner. It's the mid-block sliver buildings with blank walls on either side...they are all ugly.
    Those blank walls anticipate equally tall adjacent buildings that often don't materialize. A clever architect can arrange his plan so that these walls can contain windows that may be later blocked without loss of code compliance.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com:

Interesting new tower planned for Flower District 30-JAN-06

Adellco LLC has begun excavation work for a residential condominium tower of about 32 stories at 101 West 28th Street on the northwest corner of the Avenue of the Americas.

The project is named Remy and has been designed by Costas Kondylis.

The site, which extends about half way to 29th Street, was vacant.

The design calls for a very slender, glass-clad tower that almost seems to shimmy-and-shake vertically. The building has a five-story base and a setback tower that alternates rectilinear and curved corners with setbacks and cantilevered sections.

It promises to be the most attractive new building in the former Flower District along the avenue that has been sprouting with new towers since a rezoning a few years ago. Adellco developed the 37-story Capitol at 55 West 26th Street in 2001 and the 36-story Ashton at 800 Sixth Avenue in 2004.

The building will have one- and two-bedroom apartments, some full-floor apartments, a duplex unit and a penthouse with terraces.

Ceiling heights in the apartments will range from 9 to 13 feet.

The location is convenient not only to Chelsea and the Flatiron districts but also to midtown.

Here is the site...

February 6, 2006:

I think that it's a shame that the sh.it on the rest of this block on 6th Ave. wasn't included in this project. Those buildings are so run down.

^ How 'bout the McDonald's across the street?

It's not nice, but at least it's clean and well kept. Look at how filthy and run down the buildings just north of the new condo are. Only in NY can you sell $1.5m 2 bedrooms in a building that's immediately adjacent to rat filled, rent controlled tenements.

Banned Member

That McDonald's used to be a Child's restaurant, like the one in Coney Island. They always built nice buildings, though the McDonaldfication of this one hardly helps.

I'm actually more offended by one-story buildings than by run-down tenements. You can always clean up an old building like that and make it nice, but there's nothing you can do to take the curse off a one-story building; in the city, it's always a blight and a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    It's not nice, but at least it's clean and well kept. Look at how filthy and run down the buildings just north of the new condo are. Only in NY can you sell $1.5m 2 bedrooms in a building that's immediately adjacent to rat filled, rent controlled tenements.
    I really think you're making too big a deal about this. You've been ranting and raving for months now. I for one do not want a white-washed, computer rendered city.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    I really think you're making too big a deal about this. You've been ranting and raving for months now. I for one do not want a white-washed, computer rendered city.
    I disagree. London and Paris are pristine, and yet, they are not white-washed, computer redered cities. U.S. cities experienced serious declines in the 60's, 70's and early 80's, and certain buildings and areas became neglected. Revitalizing neglected structures and areas does not "sanitize" the city.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    London and Paris are pristine
    I think not.

The widespread revitalization you call for is reminiscent of 1960’s urban renewal when block and block of "filthy and run down" buildings were replaced with modern structures. We all know where that got us...The diversity of buildings and styles makes NYC great, none of these buildings are falling apart, the grit and the prisitine, side by side, create a rich urban fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    I think not.

The widespread revitalization you call for is reminiscent of 1960’s urban renewal when block and block of "filthy and run down" buildings were replaced with modern structures. We all know where that got us...The diversity of buildings and styles makes NYC great, none of these buildings are falling apart, the grit and the prisitine, side by side, create a rich urban fabric.
    London and Paris are pristine. I lived in London for several years, and I have been to Paris many, many times. I know them well.

Moreover, you have missed many of my posts. I utterly lament the loss of great old buildings and would rather see a nice (but dilapidated) building refurbished than torn down. Cases in point: The YMCA Building on Lex, the building that houses McHales pub on 8th, the buildings on Lex and 86th, The Drake, etc.

Nevertheless, I favor tearing down filthy buildings that have been completely stripped of their ornamentation and house cheap stores likes bodegas. I am elated that all of the crap between 42nd and 43rd on Sixth was razed to make way for the B of A Tower. I am elated that the blighted flea market on 5th and 42nd was razed and replaced by the CIT Tower. I will be elated when that mierda bazaar on 42nd will be destroyed to make way for the Bush Tower Addition.

With respect to my earlier statement regarding the buildings in the photo just north of the new condo on 6th, I think that it would be fantastic if all of them were rehabilitated and had their cornices and mouldings replaced. I know, however, that that will not happen. These buildings will either be torn down or they will remain blighted. I'd prefer the former.

When one walks the streets of Paris, one sees one utterly magnificent building after another. NY should (and will) be like that one day too. (In fact, some areas already are that way.) Nonetheless, such beauty will not sanitize NY any more than it has London or Paris.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; February 8th, 2006 at 01:16 AM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I really like this building's name.

Q: So, where do you live?
    A: I live at the Remy.

It looks like part of the building is cantilevering over one of the tenements. I hate when buildings do that.

With regard to fixing up the old tenements, you'd be surprised how many I've seen refurbished, I'm thinking of a group of them on 10th around 46th with a restaurant on the bottom floor....they look as good as new.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast