Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: The Remy - 101 West 28th Street - by Costas Kondylis

London: You know I love it when you talk to me that way.

BTW: there´s n o t h i n g condesending in my post. I forgot the smiley faces at the end of each sentence. Anyway, I invited you for a drink and some some fun afterwards ...and this is the thanks I get.

About reading comprehension: I specifically state "the TENEMENTS of NYC are humble structures based on woodframes...". I never suggested that "New York, unlike London and Paris, is characterized by "humble" structures"." Give it a re-read.

And unlike Paris, London (or Rome for that matter)up until a very short time ago NYC was a city with industry in it´s very center. It was a city with whole manufacturing and wholesaler neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that were always scruffy. Neighborhoods that were blocks away from the swell areas.

And so NYC today is a city of million dollar apartments next to junky shops in areas that just 20 years ago housed light industry. It´s a different scene than Paris or London.... and that´s why it´s so interesting. Paris on the other hand is beautiful... but vapid... cold and brittle in comparison. Personally I l o v e posh...and I love Paris, but I think NYC will lose a lot the day Manhattan is completey spiffed up and all the funkiness is gone. I agree...it´s gonna happen...but in the meantime it would be great if we could at least preserve even some of it´s HUMBLE architecture ...as well it´s grand.

You write: "...non-descript buildings are routinely razed in London". But I don´t find the tenements in the photo above as being "non-descript". They´re beautiful.... and are characteristic of the city. (I DO agree with you when you talk about those one and two story aluminum-clad "crap" buildings though.... but I don´t think that´s the case here.)

As you mention: "New York's economics and rent control/stabilization laws often result in a scenario in which dilapidated, multi-unit dwellings, like the ones in the photo, are either torn down or remain in utter disrepair. In those circumstances, I prefer the former".

I think what we would BOTH like to see is these buildings restored and reused..... but if the choice is the one you´ve given above....I´d rather have them and their funky neighborhoods ....than the crushingly boring and sterile no-mans land of high-rises to come.

Manhattan has lot´s of great swanky luxurious areas....does it ALL have to be fabulous?

Again as I mentioned in my post above....ironically ( at least architecturally speaking) the low-rise, old structures that you want to flatten.... are closer in spirit to London and Paris than the glossy high-rises you would prefer.

Ask any Parisian.

As for: "Trust me: neither I, nor New Yorkers in general, need a guy from a small town in Tuscany (or from anywhere else for that matter) to lecture me/us." Uh... London .... reread the thread.... looks like YOU´RE the odd man out.

The offer of the drink still holds though.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; February 9th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117
    I don't mind a sliver building on a corner. It's the mid-block sliver buildings with blank walls on either side...they are all ugly.

I like this one, but now that I mentioned it, I wonder what the other side will look like, it may be a blank wall.

There is a sliver building going up down the street West about 150 feet from this site.

this is TINY TINY site, directly across the street from a garish McDonalds.

From the top of the Empire State Building. March 1, 2006:

From that angle ^ you can see what a winky little lot this is.

Not crazy about the cantilevered overhang that this new building will have over the building to the north.

Anybody know what kind of deal / rights transfer is necesssary to do a cantilever over a neighboring property?

Default you buy the airrights

not too complicated. thats how they could build such aa tall tower on a dinky lot

Anybody Got Prices On The 2 Bedrooms In This Building?

There is work going on in there...

March 24, 2006:

Hey, Krulltime, appreciate all the happy snaps...

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    There is work going on in there...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

krulltime, you construction site peeping tom, you!

anybody know when the units here are going on sale?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Sales doesn't appear to be opened yet, but you can visit the official website and get more info there.

May 18, 2006

This was my first time in the neighborhood. Damn, as they say, "visit New York for a week and you'll see most of what you planned. Visit for a month and you'll see quite a bit, but will leave out much as well. Live in New York, and you'll never ever see everything."

they just closed on their financing for this, should start going up quickly now.

Good news ^^ especially as this one will eventually hide (to some degree) the 23 story Gene Kaufman POS that is going up mid-block between 6th / 7th at 121 W. 28th (and which you can see in the last pciture above -- @ the UL).

Kaufman's partner in crime is Sam Chang of "McSam Hotel LLC" (McSam is everywhere around town these days) ...

http://www.bdcnetwork.com/index.asp?...mlId=396305494
    McSam Hotel LLC has more than a dozen budget hotels in various stages of development."This builder feels that the market is ripe for a few thousand more hotel rooms to add to the supply of affordable nightly rooms in a tight market than can surely use them," Mr. Miller said.Later this year,McSam will be opening a hotel at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 35th Street and begin construction on a boutique hotel at Union Square.
    http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/i...7_41nets3.html
    Queens hotel developer buys Downtown

By Jess Wisloski
    The Brooklyn Papers
    October 2004

A large development site on Duffield Street between Willoughby Street and the Fulton Mall was sold for $9 million on Oct. 11 to a prominent hotel developer based in Queens.

The properties at 216-228 Duffield St., which include a three-story building with a retail shop, leased until 2007, and a parking lot, leased until 2009, may bring the first tall luxury hotel into the area, which was recently rezoned under the Downtown Brooklyn Plan to allow for office and other skyscrapers.

Though broker Brian Leary, whose Massey Knakal agency has aggressively landed many clients in the Downtown Brooklyn area, says the property is well-suited for retail and office space, he had no idea what developer Sam Chang, of McSam Ltd. , a development company based in Rego Park, Queens, had planned.

“I think the potential is there for them,” he said. “They predominantly own hotels, but they also do office space, retail and residential.”

Leary himself has closed 12 deals downtown, selling nearly 2 million square feet to be developed.

“There’s been inquiries [about downtown] from several national hotel chains,” he said, but didn’t know of any moving in at the moment. He said he’d had inquiries for everything “from boutique hotels, or the several-hundred-unit corporate-style hotels.”

The sold land has 180,000 build-able square feet of space, leaving it limited to a smaller hotel, if in fact that is something Chang is considering.

Massey Knakal identified the buyer as Metro One Hotel, which is one of the independent hotels Chang started, and may be the name of the new development, when it arrives, if he doesn’t build an office building there.

“If Sam bought it, it’s going to be a hotel,” said broker Frank Profeta, from Metro-One Real Estate, in Medford, N.Y.

The hotels, he said, were named after his agency, which used to do business in the metropolitan area.

“He just liked that word, Metro,” said Profeta, who offered some insight to what potential projects may hold.

“What Sam typically will do is make a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn,” he said, or continue with his line of Metro One Hotels limited liability companies, which change in numbers. For example, a Metro Three is a Howard Johnson Express Inn on East Houston Street in Manhattan.

When Profeta learned of the new development company name, “McSam,” he laughed.

“That guy’s got an ego bigger than his buildings.”

Chang, who is McSam Hotel LLC’s founder and owner, also owns MikeSam Construction Corporation, and, based on Internet searches, also own the firm Sam Chang Architects Ltd., which has offices in Honolulu, Hawaii and Beijing, China.

In April, Chang was named “Developer of the Year” by Hilton Hotels Corporation for developing the first Hilton Garden Inn to make it to Manhattan.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast