Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: The Remy - 101 West 28th Street - by Costas Kondylis

Default making good use of my tax money it seems

I think there is a smear campaign out against this guy by labor union supporters on this thread. Given that the building on 42nd street is for low income seniors, it looks pretty good to me. The fact is that no reasonable person could believe a better LOOKING building could be made for the same money by using labor union workers for the very simple reason that its more expensive.

One argument would be not to build any low income housing and end up with pretty buildings and the cost required to make that happen. But if you're going to do it, I'd rather not pay higher taxes to subsidize it than is actually necessary just to hire union. Competition is always good.

Default hmmm, perhaps I misunderstood

Actually, I think I'm confused. Is the 42nd street building also non-union, or is that union. Perhaps if it was union they could have built something prettier if they had saved on wages, but I may misunderstand the thread.

Of course, if Chang is violating laws rather than just seeking competitive labor than that is an issue - I'm just suspicious he's been targeted by the unions and they'll do anything to stop him even if that means leaving unoccupied buildings sprinkled in the neighborhood.

The Dude Abides

In any case, that building's not Kaufman's. It's O'Hara.

Banned Member

There's no smear campaign going on against the developer. Look at the building. It offends every sense. It would not have been difficult nor more expensive to make it even remotely pleasing to the eye. To say that it is "okay" because it is low income housing is saying maybe more than you meant to. Poor folks don't deserve to live in buildings that necessarily look like poor houses.

It is horrendous and, given the stuff going up on West 42nd Street, this this is a rotten lemon.

Default offend the senses?

Hi there.

It's not clear to me that a pretty exterior doesn't cost money. The building is ordinary, but I just don't see it "offending the senses." There's no broken glass, its not covered in soot. it's not rusting. It's just a building that isn't that exciting. There are building all over New York that are far worse.

If I was to make a political statement about housing poor, it would probably be that poor people deserve the decency of housing built by the private sector with fewer government regulations or price controls, since any other form of housing is going to be awful and raise real estate prices by creating artificial shortages, corruption, and less private sector investment enthusiasm.

But compared to other New York government funded low income housing, I don't see this building as particularly bad - most public housing in New York looks worse to me. If we can't get rid of government interference in real estate, I think this building is as good as you can reasonably expect.

Default clarification

On my previous comment - I remarked about government subsidized housing. I did some research and can't confirm there was any government subsidy here, so maybe the whole thread on poor people or poor houses is irrelevant - this looks like it might be a nursing care facility for affluent elderly folks that want to be in Manhattan.

If that's the case, I guess the question is do seniors mind ugly buildings for senior living? My guess is that when families choose a senior living facility, the look of the building will make a difference in how much they'll pay for care, since 1 thing you're trying to assess is whether they'll do a good job or not.

I don't know for sure whether this is inclusionary housing or subsidized housing or just private sector housing. If its pure private sector housing, my guess is the company running it is impeding its own profitability and the free market will adjust by having someone buy the building and make it nicer as the government remains on the sidelines and allows that to happen.

The concrete perimeter foundation for The Remy is complete.

Meanwhile halway down the block the Gene Kaufman / McSam Hotel has topped out.

The McSam is presenting a blank east-facing wall to the Remy

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Construction seemed to have either slowed down or stalled on this one as nothing have come up above ground on this one yet.

It seems any number of projects around town have stalled after the construction of the foundation -- which possibly gets them around any number of challenges to the design, but still leaves them in limbo ...

2 months later and the Remy remains a hole in the ground ...

Some shots of that {loverly} corner, with the Kaufman / McSam Special looming in the background (and a closer shot showing that wonderful addition to the neighborhood) ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remy_01a.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	3028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McSam 28_01a.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	3029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McSam 28_01c.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	3030  

Of course the poorly designed one rises out of nowhere, and the nice one can't get out of the ground.

How about the two new ones on 6th....one should be nearing completion and another should be rising about about 24th st.

chelsea landmark is still missing some glass. 101 w 24th is now on floor 7, with thirty left to go. the latter is slimmer than i would have expected from the rendering. more interestingly, beginning with floor seven, it appears to wrap over the top of its older 6-story neighbor to the west. not sure what's up with that. i work around the corner from there, so i'll try to take a few pics later.

Here's one pic of 101 W. 24th from yesterday ...

Name:	101 W 24_01.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	3034  

And the newly formed 6th Avenue Canyon, taken from the intersection where the Remy should rise ...

Name:	6th Ave Canyon.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	3035  

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

... the Kaufman / McSam Special
    Facade (for better or worse) at 119-121 W. 28th is almost complete ...

Almost directly across 28th a couple of buildings have come down (a guy looking at the lot today said this site will soon be another Hotel, similar height to Kaufman's POS -- but NOT a McSam) ...

A few doors west at 129 W. 28th some more buildings are coming down ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast