Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 225 West 57th Street - Extell - Hotel / Condo

The HS: Nothing.

Thanks, Lofter. Isn't demolition proceeding at the Old Hardrock (i.e., 221 W 57th)? A demolition permit was renewed last week, and I saw some work going on there.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Have you permanently moved back to the city?

No. I'm coming back in the winter, but I return periodically for business.

Is the architect for this tower really Costas Kondylis? If so, is there any reason why there is no info about the tower on his website? Also, I hope that he can come up with a design that's not as unsightly as a few of his other towers that have gone up in New York over the past few years...

He is not.

That's a relief!! Perhaps someone could change the title of the thread?

One lost its netting...not sexy.

Piano store will be gone soon.

The brownstone is gone.

School still looks empty.

I can't wait for the former Landmark HS to come down. It's a real dump. The empty crap on the north side of this block is terrible too. Has any progress been made on the demolition of 220 CPS?

Does anyone know why Extell removed the netting from the old Hard Rock building at 221? It's empty, boarded up and looks bad.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 7th, 2010 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The Hardrock is a decent building, although its base was ruined with that tacked-on, white stone.

The shorter portion of that building at 217 West 57th was previously the site of a Riding Academy designed 1900 by York & Sawyer for Frank Gould, son of "Robber Baron" Jay Gould. York & Sawyer also did a project for Frank's sister, the Helen Miller Gould Stable building (1903), a Landmarked property at 213 W 58th. The Riding Academy is mentioned in the Helen Miller Gould Stable LPC Designation Report (Page 2).

The stable subsequently became a Tenth Church Christ Scientist property. By 1929, befitting the automobile businesses that had moved into the area, it was leased to the American Car and Foundry Company.

The building at 217 W 57th in 1929:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	217W57_1929_1.jpg 
Views:	1291 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	10948

That building was demolished in 1950.

By 1951 the old riding academy building had been replaced by a bank:

Name:	217W57_1951_1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	10949

Apparently it was in 1951 when the white stone facade was extended across the front of both of the buildings now coming down.

Thanks for the info, Lofter. That little building was quite nice.

Has demolition resumed on 221 W 57th? It is such a POS in its current state. I want to see this whole site razed ASAP. It's a real eyesore, especially on the 58th Street side.

It seems that this Gould Riding Academy building still partially exists, and can be found on West 58th just to the east of the mid-century high school building. I think it's now part of the private Saint Thomas Choir School at 202 West 58th. The school site used to be home to the Elysee Theater, which became a movie theater (the Filmarte) and then ABC Studio TV-15. From a commenter at the above Elysee link:

The game show "The Name's The Same" originated from this theatre from 1952-55. The front of this theatre can be seen in at least 2 episodes of the classic TV series "The Odd Couple".

In the 1970's game shows like The Big Showdown and the $25,000 Pyramid were shot there; it's also where The Dick Cavett Show was taped. The theater building was demolished around 1985, and the new school building was erected.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

... that building at 217 West 57th was previously the site of a Riding Academy designed 1900 by York & Sawyer for Frank Gould, son of "Robber Baron" Jay Gould. York & Sawyer also did a project for Frank's sister, the Helen Miller Gould Stable building (1903), a Landmarked property at 213 W 58th. The Riding Academy is mentioned in the Helen Miller Gould Stable LPC Designation Report (Page 2).
    Here's how the 58th Street facade looked last week (I wouldn't be surprised if this houses the Choir School gym):

Name:	100922_GouldAcadRearW58_1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	11048

Name:	100922_GouldAcadRearW58_2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	11050

Name:	100922_GouldAcadRearW58_3.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	11049

Looks to be a good fit with the old facade that originally was the Gould Riding Academy at 217 West 57th:

Yeah most of of the schools in NYC are old run down eye soars. they should build all the schools over in statan isle and bus the kids there

Yeah, that way they could go to school in the suburbs, where schools are good ... right?

Default Art Students League?

The windowless building in the photo below is the back of the Art Students League.

The high school building was constructed as an office building, not a school; before Landmark and Coalition high schools moved in, it was occupied by H.I.P.

The choir school has its own gym.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It seems that this Gould Riding Academy building still partially exists, and can be found on West 58th just to the east of the mid-century high school building. I think it's now part of the private Saint Thomas Choir School at 202 West 58th. The school site used to be home to the Elysee Theater, which became a movie theater (the Filmarte) and then ABC Studio TV-15. From a commenter at the above Elysee link:
    Here's how the 58th Street facade looked last week (I wouldn't be surprised if this houses the Choir School gym):

Name:	100922_GouldAcadRearW58_1.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	11048