Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 225 West 57th Street - Extell - Hotel / Condo

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

To me, 58 is just the service street for 57 & 59.

Quote Originally Posted by oquatanginwan View Post
    Nerdstorm Tower.
    Perfect

You should copyright that.

Yeah, West 58th doesn't get much love. Even the rear entrance to 157 West 57 on 58th seems like an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I wonder how the base on 58th st will interact with the ground. I feel like it's the loser street in all of this. Even the museum of art and design gives it the coldest of shoulders. One57 is not more kind, and nor is the renovated plaza. It's like the redheaded step street.

The transformer, via YIMBY http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/09/new-...th-street.html

ny yimby

That is rather tall. And this still might come out looking ok too, surprisingly.

A Tower Will Rise Next to, and Over, a Paint-Spattered Landmark

By ARIEL KAMINER

Students have painted the scaffolding in front of the Art Students League on West 57th Street.
    Andrew Renneisen/The New York Times

Planned to be the tallest residential structure in the hemisphere, the tower belongs to a new class of buildings — most clustered in the area directly south of Central Park — so extravagantly vertical that a new term has been coined for them: not just tall but hypertall. Its top story will be higher than the top floor of 1 World Trade Center (but lower than its needle).

In 2005, the Extell Development Corporation paid the league $23.1 million for 136,000 square feet of air rights, part of the more than one million square feet it assembled from buildings in the area. Last year, the idea emerged to push the tower slightly off the edge of its pedestal; the shift allowed for a better floor plan for Nordstrom, the tower’s main retail tenant, and better views of the park for the tower’s residential tenants, as well as bigger and presumably more expensive apartments for them to live in.

For 6,000 additional square feet of air rights for the cantilever, Extell paid the league an additional $31.8 million. “They kind of got me back for the good deal I got years ago,” said Gary Barnett, Extell’s founder and president.

For 139 years, the Art Students League has opened its doors to all comers, from empty-nesters looking for a new hobby to celebrated painters, sculptors, printmakers and the like. The list of its most famous alumni reads like the index of an art history textbook, including Louise Bourgeois, Jackson Pollock, Georgia O’Keeffe and Ai Weiwei, an honoree at its coming gala.

Most classes meet five times a week, for three and a half hours a day, and cost just $230 a month, which works out to about $3 an hour. More than 2,500 students are currently enrolled.

Designed by Henry Hardenburg, the architect of the Plaza and the Dakota, the league’s building is a time capsule. Classrooms look as they might have 50 or 100 years ago, with paint-spattered folding chairs that Lee Krasner might have sat on, arranged in a semicircle from which Norman Rockwell might have sketched a nude model.

Late-20th-century technology is not present, to say nothing of early 21st-century gadgets. As for phones, there are a couple of old wooden booths in the lobby, but they are used for storing human skeletons, a prop for anatomy studies.

It is all undeniably charming, but charm has its limits. “We need everything,” a teaching assistant told a visitor, unprompted. Not just equipment and supplies, she said. “Space. Air!”
    For those who have pursued the deal with Extell, the giant next door represents a once-in-a-lifetime chance to multiply the league’s funds, to enrich its programs, to expand its classrooms, to renovate its home and to welcome more students than ever before.

“I want people to come in,” said Ira Goldberg, the league’s executive director, “and feel like it’s Jerusalem, walking into the past and feeling connected with history.”

But to a portion of the league’s members, the deal is a rip-off of skyscraping proportions. Last fall, a group that called themselves ASL Unite rallied opposition to the cantilever, arguing that the league’s leadership had fallen for a weak offer and unverified promises about the safety of the construction process, much of which would take place right over their heads.

“Do you really want to be under that?” asked Richard Caraballo, who has taken courses at the league since 2007. At One 57, another hypertall project by the same developer on another block of the same street, a crane came close to toppling over during Hurricane Sandy, snarling traffic and displacing neighbors.

In a members’ referendum last February, the majority of votes supported the sale, in part, Mr. Caraballo alleged, because the league had suppressed voter turnout. But the ensuing lawsuit went nowhere, and the deal went through.

Behind the discord is the implication that a powerful real estate player effortlessly outmaneuvered a dowdy old nonprofit. Mr. Barnett says the two organizations are not so different. “We share an ambition for great art and, in our case, great architecture, and we aspire to create beautiful buildings the same way their artists aspire to create beautiful objects,” he said.

In search of that beauty, the Extell construction workers have spent most of a year slamming heavy machinery into solid bedrock for the tower’s foundation. The hole is now about 80 feet deep at its deepest, and the drilling continues.

As Hardenburg’s building hides its elegant face behind scaffolds, art students have started to decorate the area in front of it. An Art Nouveau portrait, a bold geometric composition: “You want to get a sense of the league,” Mr. Goldberg said, “just walk down the street and see all these very different approaches to art-making.”

The building’s scaffolds will come down when the tower has gone up around it. “You know we’re an art school,” Mr. Goldberg said, enjoying the sight of the outdoor paintings. “Now, we’re a caged art school.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/ny...l?ref=nyregion

That render really speaks wonders for supertalls. Or should I say, hypertalls.

Forum Veteran

It's the T-1000 Terminator upgrade

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Hypertall? For a barely 1500 ft building in 2014? Please.

People are easily building 1600, 1800, and well over 2000 feet in many parts of the world as we speak.

Talk about being out of touch.

Forum Veteran

you make a good point

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Hypertall? For a barely 1500 ft building in 2014? Please.

People are easily building 1600, 1800, and well over 2000 feet in many parts of the world as we speak.

Talk about being out of touch.
    They are? Where?

The only place where there are any such buildings planned or u/c are the Arabian peninsula and China. And there aren't many at that height.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

This is a long article so I'm only posting a link. Essentially it says there is a slowdown in buying at One57.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ales-slow.html

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

These are the tallest towers under construction right now: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=202

These are currently the tallest towers in the world: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=200

And these are the tallest towers in a few years when the ones planned and under construction will join those that are already built: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=201

Like I said, 1500 feet is really nothing special anymore.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    This is a long article so I'm only posting a link. Essentially it says there is a slowdown in buying at One57.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ales-slow.html
    Have you seen how disgustingly hideous One57 is? If I'm a billionaire I feel nauseous walking in there and I gravitate to 432 Park that dominates the skyline. 432 is eating their lunch

I was walking on 58th street by this site and I asked the foreman when both towers would reach ground level. He said late May or early June.