Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 225 West 57th Street - Extell - Hotel / Condo

Extell's proposal is eminently reasonable.

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/11/0...s_judgment.php

By the way, does anyone know if netting or anything is draping the POS that used to house Landmark HS on W 58th? I hate that eyesore.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 9th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.

No netting on 58th.

Thanks. Presumably, Extell is waiting to see what transpires with the LPC on Nov. 10th. If they kill this project, why bother demolishing the former school.

Planned Extell Skyscaper Faces Landmarks Test Over B.F. Goodrich Buildings

By Eliot Brown

November 9, 2009

BF Goodrich Building on Broadway and 57th.

Extell Development's skyscraper planned for 57th Street and Broadway will face a big test Tuesday, as the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission is set to decide the fate of two connected buildings built by the B.F. Goodrich Company in 1909.

Just what that fate will be is unclear to many involved, a rare twist with a commission where decisions almost always seem predetermined.

Tuesday morning, the LPC is slated to vote on whether to landmark the two buildings, a move that Extell says would force it to scrap the giant mixed-use tower it has planned for the site. In recent months, the company has mounted an aggressive defense against the commission--which typically designates every building it votes to consider--enlisting unions and four powerful elected officials to push back at the designations. (Much more on this in a feature from a few weeks back.)

The result was a compromise to designate one of the two buildings--the main headquarters of B.F. Goodrich, located on Broadway--allowing it to destroy the other, located on 57th Street. Preservationists contend this is not enough, saying that if one of the buildings is landmark quality so is the other, and the commission should not bend to political pressure. Extell counters that landmarking both buildings would ruin its prime development site, and force the cancellation of what it says is a $1.5 billion tower.

Extell has told others involved in the discussions that the company believes the commission's chair, Robert Tierney, is leaning in support of the compromise. [Clarified]. Preservationists involved in the process also claim they have some of the votes on the 11-member commission.

Should the commission landmark both buildings, Extell would still have another at bat as the City Council has the power to veto any landmark designation (though it's incredibly rare for the Council to take such a vote). Giant skyscrapers don't usually play well with the populist crowd, and Council members could easily be painted as ignoring preservation concerns at the request of a developer.

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...rich-buildings

More insanity in NYC.

Where were these a_holes when the following was demolished and replaced either with nothing or with sh..it:

The 56th Street townhouses;

The Drake;

A Federalist-era building in SoHo;

The beautiful building on 72nd and B'Way which was replaced by Handel's POS;

the Newsweek building which Moinian the scumbag destroyed; and

the magnificent pre-War building on 57th that will be razed for a crap hotel by Cetra Ruddy.

I am irate just thinking about these losses.

Moreover, I am convinced that de Portzamparc has a 900+ foot masterpiece planned for this site. To kill this project in order to save the lame 225 W 57th will be a TRAVESTY.

Today will demonstrate just how f..ked up NY is.

Those were all loses for sure, as would this. I am happy to see that it will be redeveloped with the existing facades, whenever that is. There is no reason to believe that the proposal will be magnificent outside of speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    More insanity in NYC.

Where were these a_holes when the following was demolished and replaced either with nothing or with sh..it:
    LL, don't forget this atrocity -- destruction of the "original WTC" down on Pearl St. with a pile of pre-fab outskirts-of-Ankara garbage.

Or destruction of the YWCA in Midtown for the parking lot -- I mean, Shangri-La Hotel, if it ever gets built (unlikely now, it seems).

I didn't mention the Y on Lex because I thought that I was in the minority for lamenting its loss.

Does anyone know what happened at the LPC today?

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

... I am convinced that de Portzamparc has a 900+ foot masterpiece planned for this site. To kill this project in order to save the lame 225 W 57th will be a TRAVESTY.

Today will demonstrate just how f..ked up NY is.
    Even more so is how you're mixing up building sites. Too much Extell

de Portzamparc is not doing this site at 225 W 57th.

The deP project is the Extell site one block east, opposite Carnegie Hall, at 157 W 57th.

I think he's doing both sites. His website shows two sites on W 57th Street.

Below is what I found on the C de P website.

Is this what you mean? And do you take that as referring to TWO separate sites (225 & 157/ Carnegie)?

Although the description states "Two different towers" it seems it describes the overall project for the Carnegie site, rather than two different sites (since all of the other C de P NYC projects are listed by site).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extell DeP_W 57 58_01b1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	7853  

That's what I was referring to. I take that to mean two separate sites.

Anyway, even if de Portzamparc is not designing 225 W 57th, Extell must have something great planned. They invested an enormous amount of money in this site.

If Gershon cares enough to build a 1,000 foot tower by de Portzamparc at 155 W 57th, it can't imagine that he will build a Kondylis-style box here.

Not to mention, Gershon described it as a $1.5 billion project. I don't think that a Kondylis special would cost that much to build.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 10th, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

http://curbed.com/

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Landmarks Commission Backs Down on 57th Street Fight
    What was shaping up to be a nasty little preservation scrap has ended with a bit of a whimper. This morning the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted 6-3 to designate 1780 Broadway, one of two old BF Goodrich buildings on "Automobile Row," a protected landmark. Its sister building, 225 West 57th Street, which preservationists argued was also of importance, was de-calendared from similar consideration. The LPC had fast-tracked the landmarking process on both buildings in the wake of megadeveloper Extell's plans to develop a large mixed-use tower on the site. Extell's strategy was to support the 1780 Broadway designation and recruit numerous politicians and others to lobby against the landmarking of 225 West 57th Street, arguing it would jeopardize the project. It was a rare all-out anti-landmarking blitz, and it paid off. Yesterday the Observer's Eliot Brown reported that LPC boss Bob Tierney was leaning towards the compromise. Developer/LPC battles have been few and far between in recent years. We were hoping for a good one!
    · 1780 Broadway coverage [Curbed]

P.S.: It appears that de Portzamparc is not necessarily the architect for this one.

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...57th-st?page=1

After Push by Extell, Landmarks Backs Down Over West 57th Street Building

Eliot Brown
    November 10, 2009 |

The city's Landmarks Preservation Commission backed off its effort to landmark a B.F. Goodrich Company building on West 57th Street, a rare retreat by the commission and one that follows aggressive pushback from development giant Extell, which plans a mixed-use skyscraper on the property.

The LPC on Tuesday voted 6-3 to remove the building, 225 West 57th Street, from consideration as a landmark, just four months after the same board voted to consider it....

Extell, however, seemed relieved, and Raizy Haas, a senior vice president at the company, started to talk about the next steps. "We're talking to a couple of architects," she said. "We were very focused on this phase of the project, so now we're going to start planning the real building. Obviously, the design will be slightly modified due to the preservation of 1780."

Another little slice of Manhattan slips away...what a shame.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast