Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tribeca - worth a visit? a stay?

Yes is Megu! Thanks! I did some Google after you mention it...

Here is the website!

http://www.megunyc.com/

It did look very expensive though when I check that day.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Oh ok thanks! It is very expensive.

A not very expensive restaurant, by Tribeca standards, is Ivy's Bistro on Greenwich & N Moore Sts. Good, friendly service, and consistently good.

The pre-Tribeca Washington Market was full of great saloons and taverns. The best surviving neighborhood bar is Reade St Pub & Kitchen (near Hudson St), formerly McGovern's. Friendly atmosphere, and bar food that is a cut above. The change in the neighborhood is evident by the recent construction of a townhouse across the street, its style something you would not expect in landmarked Tribeca, on the site of the old Cream-O-Land butter warehouse. Asking price somewhere around $10 million. I'll snap a photo next time I stop in for a pint.

Capsouto Freres, good food in a fantastic Tribeca building (see it before they build some big new towers across the street):

http://www.capsoutofreres.com/

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=4765

http://cityguide.aol.com/newyork/din....adp?vid=62640

I thought that with the scaffolding erected around the building recently, a long-standing aspect of this building that has annoyed me for years would finally be rectified.

But the scaffolding came down, the completely inappropriate 60s era aluminum awning was still there. And Capsouto is on the community board.

The Kobe beef at Megu is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    the completely inappropriate 60s era aluminum awning was still there.
    It's probably "grand-fathered", as it was there prior to Landmarks District designation.

Although you would think they'd want to do something nicer (but that could easily cost $100K).

Grandfathered items are usually allowed to remain if replacing them would be an undue burden. But this is not rooftop HVAC; it's a cheap awning. You'd think LPC would have requested a replacement.

I think it's a case of rusty purse hinges.

cool building though...
    I love that 'eclectic' US turn-of-the-century stone cladding style. Not as elegant as classicism/beaux artes but definitely adds interest to the cityscape.

Keep the ideas coming fellas. It looks like when I get to NYC I'll have to stand a round of NY Wired beers.

Belushi's more downscale hangout was the Raccoon Lodge, on Warren St off W Broadway (still there). Their only concession to food was a microwave behind the bar. Belushi would drop in for pool up front, coke in the rear.

It may have been a rumor, but I had heard that Belushi and Dan Ackroyd owned some property in a line of mostly abandoned low buildings on Greenwich off Warren (across from site 5B). The only visible tenant was a hot dog vending company that stored carts in one of the storefronts, so at night there were rats everywhere. One night I was crossing a deserted Murray St, when I heard a sound like the wind blowing debris along the ground. A scene right out of Willard, dozens of rats running herdlike in my general direction. Could they be that hungry? Then I saw the cat that was chasing them, seeming to be confused by the multiple choices, but he pounced on one, and carried it off. No one at work believed me.

If the rumor was true, Belushi and Ackroyd planned to open a club on the site, but then Belushi OD'd, and the site was eventually assembled into a residential development.

I never actually saw Belushi in The Odeon, but at the time I was more interested in a bartender. She was a double for Grace Kelly before she became a princess, black skirt, white shirt - you just had to order a martini.

The Odeon and a French restaurant midblock on Duane St, Le Zinc, pioneered dining in Tribeca. At the time there was no resident density to support upscale restaurants; taxis and limos would shuttle uptown adventurers to these downtown outposts. Le Zinc was especially surreal. The street was mostly wholesale stores, and deserted at night, except for floodlights over sidewalk diners and limos waiting along the curb.

The site is now a German-Austrian restaurant, Blaue Gans. I haven't been inside, but the decor seems to be Le Zinc, the ceiling anyway.

Nice reminiscences, Zippy. I won't tell you mine.

They sound more interesting than mine.

Fantastic, Zippy. You're making me feel like an infant for missing out on the good old days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast