Page 1 of 84 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump SoHo - 246 Spring Street - Hotel and Condo - by Handel Architects

Default Trump SoHo - 246 Spring Street - Hotel and Condo - by Handel Architects

Downtown for Donald

February 11, 2006

Donald Trump is bringing his renowned brand of high living to the lower West Village.

“We are in the final stages of negotiations on a site in that region,” says Donald Trump Jr. “And we’ll have more information as we finalize our plans.”

While Trump Jr. wouldn’t elaborate on such plans, sources say they will likely include a hotel/residential complex of approximately 50 stories, located a short distance from the Holland Tunnel.

“It will be an incredible project,” says an insider. “It will bring a real pulse to the area.”

The project is expected to have services similar to those at the Trump International Hotel & Tower on Central Park West.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.

The Post article on-line says that it will be near the Holland Tunnel. I wouldn't have thought that anything there was zoned for 50 stories.

Hmmm ... Where will this be??

Recent Re-Zoning in north Tribeca just below of Canal S. allows for 160' Maximum Height (see below).

There is a potential big site on Hudson, next to 255 Hudson.

And another across Spring St. from Urban Glass Houses.

And the big lot on West St. on the north side of Spring, catty-corner from Urban Glass Houses...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NTRZ_03.JPG 
Views:	942 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	1464  

Forget any place south of Canal St.

Given the resistance to Johnson's earlier design for the Urban Glass House site, I don't think it would fly there.

There is a parking lot on Varick St, between Spring and Dominick Sts, about 1/2 block in size. Good spot for a hotel.

It's nice to see that The Donald is developing one of the best buildings in Chicago and yet will produce a mundane 50 story tower in his home town. Although I find him amusing, I am losing respect for him. I guarantee that this will be a lame box. Have you guys seen the renderings for his new towers in Philly and JC? The Donald has been completely proselytized by Kostas, the king of mundane architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    There is a parking lot on Varick St, between Spring and Dominick Sts, about 1/2 block in size. Good spot for a hotel.
    You're right, those are the more likely sites ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trump_New Hotel_03.JPG 
Views:	741 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	1469  

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Seems like there would be a lot of kicking and screaming about this from the SOHO crowd. Remember the fuss about the SOHO Grand?

This is on the other side of 6th Ave.

Not SoHo, Hudson Square ..

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    It's nice to see that The Donald is developing one of the best buildings in Chicago and yet will produce a mundane 50 story tower in his home town. Although I find him amusing, I am losing respect for him. I guarantee that this will be a lame box. Have you guys seen the renderings for his new towers in Philly and JC? The Donald has been completely proselytized by Kostas, the king of mundane architecture.
    Yeah the one in Chicago I really like alot... but his latest plans for these two cities are not that impressive at all.

Philadelphia:

Jersey City:

don't forget trump plaza new rochelle
    http://www.trumpplazanewrochelle.com/
    At 420ft it'll dominate the new rochelle skyline
    I think its a fairly decent design as well.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's nice to see that The Donald is developing one of the best buildings in Chicago and yet will produce a mundane 50 story tower in his home town. Although I find him amusing, I am losing respect for him. I guarantee that this will be a lame box.
    One part of me hates him and all these other developers that do this city an injustice by continuing a terrible trend of building the most plain, vapid, as-cheap-as-you-can-build-them buildings. Whenever they come out a with rendering of a box, I get so frustrated, angry and depressed. I feel really bad that the city will once again get shortchanged.
    The other part of me though, realizes that it's not all their fault. I try my best to understand their circumstances: financial return, profit, shareholders, community boards, zoning, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yes hate them but also try to imagine being in their shoes. In this op-ed piece, Trump himself explains at least some of the reasons why we get the poor architecture we get:

New York Times Op-Ed
    June 12, 2005
    How New York Can Get Its Groove Back

O.K., Let's Give Up
    By DONALD J. TRUMP

IT is much easier to defeat something in New York City than to build something. With that in mind, we should consider whether we want the easy way out or if we can accept a challenge. New Yorkers have been known for their energy, their strength and, especially in the past few years, for their courage. Maybe we're just worn out after pulling together so well after Sept. 11, 2001. It's been a haul. So maybe we just want to sit back and let things take care of themselves - elsewhere.

The process in New York is very tough, and that's why I am building major projects in cities like Chicago, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Have you heard the term "contextual zoning" yet? It's a biggie in New York. So are the community boards, which like to make things close to impossible.

I win many battles with community boards, but the project that is completed is never as good as what I started with. It gets beaten and battered by people who are often more interested in hearing themselves talk than in what is best for the city. The originality of the architecture gets taken away from me as a developer and artist, and from the city. I don't want to build buildings that have the same height and look as the buildings next door. Take the spires off the great old New York buildings and see what our skyline would look like - not much!

So, should we forget about being on the cutting edge? We can shrug our shoulders and say "C'est la vie" and maybe sip some cappuccino at an outdoor café. We can let the work be done elsewhere, and by other people, and for a change we can be the audience instead of the performers. Let's give other cities a chance; let's keep thinking small. Or, if we want to think big, let's just start thinking. Believe me, the answers for New York are not very complicated.

Donald J. Trump is a real-estate developer.
    Last edited by antinimby; February 11th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Yeah... Usually these buildings are presented to community groups before they are release to the public and these NYC community groups are the toughest than any other city. They will cry and make noise until a developer just gives up or make alterations in size, color or materials to please that crowd. It is unfair to our skyline.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It's nice to see that The Donald is developing one of the best buildings in Chicago and yet will produce a mundane 50 story tower in his home town.
    One more thing . . . what if he did proposed the Chicago Trump Tower here instead? What kind of reaction would he have gotten? Certainly not the kind of reception he got in Chicago (I remember reading that Chicago Mayor Daley actually wanted him to build higher than what he had proposed!). Now, can you blame him?

Trump:

"The process in New York is very tough, and that's why I am building major projects in cities like Chicago, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Have you heard the term "contextual zoning" yet? It's a biggie in New York. So are the community boards, which like to make things close to impossible".

"The originality of the architecture gets taken away from me as a developer and artist,..."

Bull$hit. Laughable really.

Yes, he´s doing something beautiful in Chicago. But show us his other beautiful buildings around the country.... his other architectural wonders... the other great architects he works with? His other works of "art"? Just look at the renderings above.

He can do nice things...Trump World Tower is nice... and I think over-all the quality of his stuff is a cut above... but who expects g r e a t architecture from Donald Trump?

Recently NYC has gotten the Hearst, the NYTimes, the Bloomburg, 15 CPW, Bryant Park and so on ...as well as beautiful small developments especially through Soho and Tribeca.... someone´s able to do nice stuff.
    Last edited by Fabrizio; February 12th, 2006 at 05:00 AM.

i would be really exited about this potential 50 story building if it was not trump who is bulding it. exept for trump in chicago, his buildings are terrible. He will pobably give us another black box to our collection of big black boxes. hopefully i will be proven wrong and it will be as beautifull as his earlier proposal for telivision city.

Page 1 of 84 123451151 ... LastLast