Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump SoHo - 246 Spring Street - Hotel and Condo - by Handel Architects

Forum Veteran

I think all the anti-Trump, anti-Ratner, anti-Silverstein sentiment is really misdirected, especially here. Trump is a self-promotional nut and an easy target but his company is the largest private employer in the NY area.

He is clearly out to make a profit, as anyone in business is. Is his architecture daring and ground-breaking? No, but its not cheap and unless you can back that up with actual costs-per-foot and architectural/engineering invoices don't make those claims.

Hudson Square (bound by Canal / West / Houston / 6th Ave.) -- the area where Trump is apparently planning this building -- was rezoned in 2002: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/pub/hudsonsqrep.pdf

The new FAR for the available sites does not seem to allow for a 50 story building, but variances can be granted.

There seem to be 3 viable sites: The 2 parking lots previously mentioned on Varick south of Spring and a 3rd at the site currently occupied by a one story building just north of 255 Hudson: ACE Gallery at 275 hudson. In fact the website for ACE states "New Location coming Soon": http://www.acegallery.net/contact/contactny.htm.

Below are some maps, charts, info from the City Planning / Hudson Square Rezoning Report ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HudSq_Zon_01.JPG 
Views:	457 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	1473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HudSq_Zon_03a.JPG 
Views:	506 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	1474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HudSq_Zon_04.JPG 
Views:	510 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	1475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HudSq_Zon_05.JPG 
Views:	470 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	1476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HudSq_Zon_07.JPG 
Views:	457 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	1477  

Default Possible Trump Site

Perhaps I dreamt this, but I seem to recall a post a while back somewhere on this forum about a plan (since abandoned?) for an office tower on or near Trinity owned land around Varick Street near Spring. This was just north of the Holland Tunnel approach along Varick, IIRC. Does anyone recall this? There was even a rendering, and someone suggested Goldman Sachs should consider it. Anyway, might Trump be looking at this site with the intention of seeking a use variance for residential from the BSA?

Find what building Tamir Sapir owns near there and you'll probably find the Trump project.

Real Deal:
    During an interview, Sapir is a talkative man who likes to recount his rise to the top from humble beginnings. His loquaciousness caused his advisor to step in more than once to prevent him from talking about business plans that aren’t ready to be announced yet, including plans to work with Donald Trump on a residential project downtown that will involve one of Sapir’s buildings. "Everything I have inside, it’s always on the tip of my tongue," said Sapir, who said he couldn’t say anymore on the Trump project. Trump did not return calls as of press time.

The Building at 275 Hudson is owned by "Ponte Equities" (per DOB Application filed 10/05: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...6BD08866A7430E )

The parking lot at Varick / Spring is owned by 246 Spring St., LLC out of Miami (per DOB Application filed 12/05: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...6BD08866A7430E )

The parking lot on Varick on the block to the south between Dominick / Broome is owned by VARICK STREET PARKING LLC 211 EAST 38TH (per DOB Application filed 2/05: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...6BD08866A7430E )

It looks like the larger of the two parking lots on Varick (the one between Spring & Domick) could be problematic -- as far as a site for a tall building -- as the Holland Tunnel entrance tubes runs directly beneath ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holland Tunnel Map.gif 
Views:	558 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	1483  

Another site in that area that has recently been cleared is 76-78 Varick (aka 3-9 Grand St.) a half-block on Grand St, just west of 6th Avenue -- the full front of that block between 6th / Varick is now vacant.

A 7 story building that had been there since at least 1928 was demolished in 2003.

That property is owned by Trinity Properties 74 Trinity Place New York NY 10006 (per DOB application filed at 5/05: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...37B0629BEFFC69 )
    Last edited by lofter1; February 12th, 2006 at 10:26 PM.

Default Ah, found it!

This is the project that I was talking about above. Might Trump be eyeing this site for 50 story residential (would need use change, obviously)? It's near the tunnel:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=20

Thoughts?

That site ^^ is catty-corner NE to the parking lot on Varick / Spring; it currently has a number of buildings on it.

Onwership of this site, known as "4 Hudson Square": OWNER Parish of Trinity Church:

I'm counting about 40 stories on the rendering (website says 35: http://www.trinityrealestate.org/dev...e_4/index.html ).

The building as shown is pretty dull. The open space plaza would be welcomed in the area, as there is very little open space once you get away from the river (unless you count the rocky planted areas around Watts St. leading into the Holland Tunnel).

Hoping they come up with a better building / plan if they're going to clear this block for new development.
    Last edited by lofter1; February 12th, 2006 at 11:38 PM.

The thing that blows about this project is that Trump the Chump probably will build a boring box like he is planning in Philly and in JC. I used to really like him, but I have lost respect for him since he's building his best building in a second rate city (i.e., Chicago) and is building a boring 50 story box in NY. He should be building a 1,000 foot, magnificent tower here. He's not even getting a $1,000 per square foot in Chicago. If he keeps building lame towers in NY, I hope that Melania dumps him, as he does not deserve such a hot chick.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    I hope that Melania dumps him, as he does not deserve such a hot chick.
    Melania: Oh no I will never dump him... I need my jewels!

Trump: londonlawyer, you are Fired!

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    The thing that blows about this project is that Trump the Chump probably will build a boring box like he is planning in Philly and in JC. I used to really like him, but I have lost respect for him since he's building his best building in a second rate city (i.e., Chicago) and is building a boring 50 story box in NY. He should be building a 1,000 foot, magnificent tower here.

You seem to forget that Trump has been trying to build towers much taller than the Trump Chicago in New York for decades. You can't blame Trump because Chicago was more open to building taller highrises.

Anyway, Trump's building a 50-story tower now doesn't mean he can't build a taller tower in Manhattan. He's already got a taller project going on just accross the river in Jersey City.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    It looks like the larger of the two parking lots on Varick (the one between Spring & Domick) could be problematic -- as far as a site for a tall building -- as the Holland Tunnel entrance tubes runs directly beneath ...
    The lots are on the east side of Varick. The tunnel is between Varick and Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    You seem to forget that Trump has been trying to build towers much taller than the Trump Chicago in New York for decades. You can't blame Trump because Chicago was more open to building taller highrises...
    That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Melania: Oh no I will never dump him... I need my jewels!

Damn! She is HOT!!!

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast