Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubai

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I guess I should rephrase. Things do eventually get done but usually not without some kind of drama. Look at Ground Zero, Atlantic Yards, Con Ed site, the Westside railyards, Brooklyn Bridge Park and others. Sure, we have many residentials going up but even they might come to a screeching halt once the bubble bursts.
    Last edited by antinimby; March 3rd, 2006 at 02:10 AM.

One thing dubai cant just build is the density of scrapers new york has and also its skyscraper history

That a city is friendly to pedestrians may be important to us, as New Yorkers, but not really to people who live in other types of cities, oh, like say Los Angeles. Or Las Vegas. Or Orlando. People love their cars, and love the driving lifestyle. I am not one of them, and neither are most Manhattanites, but they are out there and they choose to live in cities like...Dubai.
    It's sort of silly, like New York criticising Venice because it has so many canals. Duh.
    They don't and won't have the density that New York has, Ok. So what. They don't need it because they have so much empty land to build on. People in cities such as Dubai like the landscaping that goes between their spaced apart buildings, like palm trees and flowers. We don't have a lot of palm trees in New York, or downtown beaches to stroll along, oh well, does that make us not as good somehow? It's just different strokes for different folks.

As for the "can do" attitude, antinimby is totally right on. They have it, and New York doesn't anymore. Burj Dubai, Freedom Tower. Enough said.
    New York's greatest treasures were all built decades ago! I love them all, but come on people, to remain the world capital we have to continue to strive, not rest back on our laurels. Here, unfortunately, any project with real balls gets snipped.

Instead of looking down our noses at Dubai, we should admire their ambition.

Hi.. I'm from Dubai and came across this page as I was Googling some of this ports news.

Thanks for posting some of those articles.. it's funny what that guy from the sheikh's office said about it being cool to get the publicity, even if it's bad. That is so Dubai.. they love advertising their name. They do it so much that even its own citizens pick it up and behave as travel agents or tourist guides when they encounter visitors. In the English as a second language classes at public schools, they didn't focus much on how to order a meal at a restaurant if you're travelling..etc but they taught how to give directions to tourists, how to help them.

I was wondering what you think of this ports uproar.. also I agree with Midtown Guy that Dubai isn't really a suitable place for density of buildings because no one would walk anyway.. not to do daily chores at least. They need air conditioning, and for leisure walks they have beaches where a sea breeze would make it more tolerable, and boulevards.. etc for when the weather is good. The Dubai Marina has a very nice walking area surrounding by these supertalls, and cafes and restaurants lining them. Also, Sheikh Zayed Rd which you see in a lot of photos of Dubai is really a 5 lane on each side highway with tall buildings on either side.. doesn't seem very pedestrian friendly at all, but it has a small side service road and very wide pavements, and a lot of people actually walk there, and there are great views.. and lovely restaurants.

I used to post on SkyscraperCity UAE section (before I got banned! ) .. so I know a good bit about Dubai's projects and planning.

Thank you for posting your information about Dubai. I was imagining also the walk around Dubai Marina when I posted. I will be visiting Dubai for sure, as soon as some of the big current projects are completed

Is it a Dubai's "Can Do" attitude that they are building a massive, modern city overnight or the fact that they are awash in money (mainly from trafficing the world's most important strategic resource).

Anyone seen a composite photoshop of renderings to show what the city will look like in 2010 when most of the current projects are completed?
    Last edited by RandySavage; March 3rd, 2006 at 11:57 AM.

I was in Dubai for a couple of weeks about a week ago.. seemed a bit dusty with all the construction.. I would recommend waiting for a year or two, by that time at least one palm island should be ready, Dubai Mall and the Marina at least. I always told friends to wait till around early 2007 or 2008, but Dubai keeps proposing new projects and the dates for finishing them climb up to 2012 +. The ones projected to finish within the next couple of years are still on track, but it's annoying having other major ones still under construction because it messes the place up and you feel you've missed out on it.

Someone here mentioned something about Dubai destroying its historic buildings to make way for new ones. Dubai really has no historic buildings. Their old houses were either tents or made of palm leaves They have a few mud or brick houses, such as the Bastakiyya quarters with windtowers (of Iranian emigrants) which date back to the 1920's or 1930's. Those are conserved, plus a small fort which houses the museum, and an old small palace which is a museum also. Other than that, the only "historic" buildings of Dubai would be the Clocktower roundabout which dates from the 1960's and the Dubai World Trade Centre from 1970's. When Dubai destroys "old" buildings they're really only destroying crappy residentials from the 70's or 80's which were probably built with an expected high turnover rate in mind.

One thing Dubai is guilty of abusing is the environment. They have very little environmental awareness, both the government and the citizens. They're also used to zero bureaucracy when planning things.. which is how they're mushrooming like they are, but finally the American congress gave them some bureaucracy
    Last edited by cerelac; March 3rd, 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage
    Is it a Dubai's "Can Do" attitude that they are building a massive, modern city overnight or the fact that they are awash in money (mainly from trafficing the world's most important strategic resource).

Anyone seen a composite photoshop of renderings to show what the city will look like in 2010 when most of the current projects are completed?
    There's an interesting book by the London Business School called "From Sand to Silicon" about Dubai's progress and how it's run like a private company, with the sheikh as its CEO. It looks at the way Dubai runs itself and how it's expanding fast. The sheikh (Mohammed al-Maktoum) is quoted in the book, saying his father was laughed at when he asked for the Rashid or Jebel Ali ports to be expanded in the 1970's.. since Dubai was pretty small at the time and nobody expected it would need that big of a port, but he went ahead and did it anyway despite people's criticism, and it turned out that he was right in his decision, and they even expanded the port more later on because of a high demand. I think Sheikh Mohammed wants to propose new projects until people call him crazy like they did to his dad, and then he'll be extra satisfied when they're proven wrong He's very inspired by his father's port expansion story.. I've heard him tell it several times whenever people question the need for all of this. I think that Dubai also does this because it can and because it's working, for now at least. Dubai isn't really that rich in terms of oil wealth. Their plans are to bring in money by spending money. A lot of the investment in their projects have come from neighbouring countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Great to hear from you, cerelac ...

The info in this article about large number of non-natives residing in Dubai poses some interesting (and possibly difficult) questions for Dubai.

Could you fill us in from your perspective?
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times
    Emirate Wakes Up Famous.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, March 1 —

...Many here readily admit that as Dubai emerges as a power on the global economic stage, it has much to learn about the "soft" aspects of business, from politics to public relations.

With native Emirati citizens accounting for only about 15 percent of the population...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Great to hear from you, cerelac ...

The info in this article about large number of non-natives residing in Dubai poses some interesting (and possibly difficult) questions for Dubai.

Could you fill us in from your perspective?
    I think native Emiratis are even less than 15% in Dubai. I think they might be 15% in the UAE as a whole but specifically in Dubai probably around 8%. I am in fact one of these "rare" Emiratis. But that's just the way Dubai is.. it's a mix of people from many countries. It's like living in an airport.

The thing is that Dubai was a trade town even before oil was discovered. There were pearl merchants and textile and gold traders from Iran, India and other places going through. Some of them settled in the area. A British census of Dubai done in the 1940's estimated a population of 3000 Indians, 10,000 Arabs and 25,000 Iranians. The Iranian merchants adopted the Arabic language and dress code and became integrated with the local population, and eventually were handed full Dubai citizenship followed by UAE citizenship when the union was formed in 1971 after the withdrawal of Britain. A few non-Emirati Arabs from Syria or Jordan were also in the area at that time and received citizenship.

After that, many foreigners and Arabs of other nationalities came into the country to help with their skills, and to help those newcomers settle, more foreigners came to offer services for this increase in population, and so they increased suddenly and held on to their languages and customs. They didn't integrate, and they weren't given citizenship. Expatriates to this day don't attempt to integrate, and since there were no official laws for handing out citizenship in the past and the locals receive a lot of perks which the government can't afford to provide were everyone to be a citizen, at this point it's hard to Emiratize anyone, and the Emirati citizenship remains exclusive to the children of Emirati parent(s).

The government started handing out Emirati passports to "influential" expatriates who hold important positions, and some of them were even instructed on wearing local Arab clothes after being given the passport, but I believe in most cases it remains only a "passport" and not full citizenship. A passport allows for travel as an Emirati, and for free healthcare and education, but not for purchasing land or a college scholarship for example.

Emirati women used to have a fertility rate of around 6 up til the late 80's, but now it's down to 4. The government encourages locals to have more children to try to balance the demographics (some men gladly practice polygamy with the excuse of patriotism ), but I doubt they can achieve any sort of balance the way things are going. A big factor in the imbalance is the presence of foreign construction workers (which is also why 67% of the population of the UAE are male), so when they're done with this boom, there will be a sharp decrease in the number of expatriate construction workers, only to be replaced by an even greater number of expatriates who'll move into these new homes and apartments. The only solution is to set criteria for applying for citizenship, such as was done in Saudi Arabia. The UAE's police and military personnel are mostly from Yemen or Sudan, and they have been handed a UAE passport.

Local Emiratis feel threatened by this foreign presence because the majority of expatriates are not native Arabic speakers, do not understand local customs, do not care to understand local customs, and may not be Muslim. They would also take up a large portion of the budget for healthcare and education, which would mean the "original" Emiratis would have to start paying for these services like everyone else. And currently many Asian employees are given a lower salary than Emiratis because they take into account the fact that they wire the money to a 3rd world country which makes it enough for them (discriminatory on the government's part), when they live in the UAE permanently and their family are brought to the UAE then they need a pay rise. Emiratis also feel they're looked down upon by employers since they're stereotyped as being lazy and lacking skills. Opening the gates for emigration would make finding jobs very difficult for them (because that's how it's like now anyway), and I think ethnic tensions would ensue.

"dubai will never have something we have- a safe, reliable, and most of all comfortable subway system!"

I'm not so sure about that:

Dubai Metro:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11108-metro.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	1569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12762-metro.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	1570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	specials_1132.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-platform-doors.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	1572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dubai-Metro-map.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1573  

Planning a transit system in a city with one main thoroughfare must have been a challenge.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

dubai will never have something we have- a safe, reliable, and most of all comfortable subway system!
    As illustrated above, arrogant comments will always come back to haunt you. Believe it or not New Yorkers, at one time Londoners and Parisians looked down on NYC as some of you have towards other upcoming cities. Tables can turn very quickly in this world. Many cities' train systems already make New York's old, dingy and creaky subway system look laughable. Lesson: don't look down at others, just use them as inspiration and motivation for yourself.

Actually I posted that as sarcasm. If you go back to my post you will see a photo of a crowded subway car. lol, the MTA system isn't reliable, safe, or comfortable.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast