Thread: Electricity - Straighteners etc

Thumbs up Electricity - Straighteners etc

I will be needing to use straightening irons and a hair dryer on my trip, i have read on various sites that my straighteners may not work or may not get as hot as here in the UK. Is that true? As i dont want to bring them with me if they dont work, i would rather just buy some when i get to New York.

I read in my guide book that "Forgein visitors will need a transformer and an adapter plug". When i have travelled to Spain in the past i have just taken an adapter plug and have found a slight difference in the temperature with them but will it be really different in NY?

Hopefully someone can help me with this, i suppose its more of a girly question so apologies!

Please help

anybody, please?

You'll definitely need an adapter.

Many hotel rooms have hair driers in the bathroom -- check with your hotel.

Or leave your appliances at home and go to a Duane Reade when you get here -- you can get the things you mentioned for not much -- and will save you the packing problem.

thanks Lofter, i had more or less decided i was going to just buy some when i get there. Duane Reed, there one near the Salisbury hotel on W57th st do you know by any chance?

I know that there is a very big one on 57th + Broadway, just a couple of blocks to the west of the Salisbury (past Carnegie Hall).

But not to worry -- D/Rs are found every couple of blocks in Manhattan. Many are open 24 hours

Brilliant. Thanks very much!

i have just bought a pair of travel ceramic straighteners with a US and European travel adaptor with them, they fold up as well. only 15, saves buying a pair in NY that then won't work in the uk! hadn't realised they might not get as hot though!

There is always a hat ...

Ah, but wearing the had wouldnt be the same would it Piglet? ive got some ceramic fold ups' but the plates are really small so id be there for vertially the whole holiday trying to straighten my hair i reckon ( theyre good for touch ups though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble06
    Ah, but wearing the had wouldnt be the same would it Piglet? ive got some ceramic fold ups' but the plates are really small so id be there for vertially the whole holiday trying to straighten my hair i reckon ( theyre good for touch ups though!
    hehe, you will probably need a hat anyway if you are going this time of year!!!