Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Brigid Church - Tompkins Square

Default St Brigid Church - Tompkins Square

I am sickened by the loss of the YMCA building, The Drake, the buildings on 56th between 5th and 6th, the buildings on Lex and 86th, McHales, the building on 72nd and B'Way, etc.

Nonetheless, the loss of this church is truly naseating. Have we learned nothing subsequent to Penn Station's rape?

The following sad news appeared in the Feb. 11, 2006 edition of the NY Post:

"WRECKER'S BALL DUE AT ST. BRIGID"

By DAREH GREGORIAN

February 11, 2006 -- A Manhattan judge has paved the way for the demolition of one of the city's oldest Roman Catholic churches.
    In a decision made public yesterday, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Barbara Kapnick denied a bid to block the Archdiocese of New York's plans to raze the 157-year-old Church of St. Brigid.

A group of former parishioners — operating under the name of the Committee to Save St. Brigid — had sued the archdiocese, arguing that it had an obligation to keep the church operating.

"We are disappointed," said the parishioners' lawyer, Harry Kresky, who is considering an appeal to save the sacred site at East Eighth Street and Avenue B.

"The attorney for the archdiocese described this as an abandoned building. It wasn't abandoned. It's the community that was abandoned."

The archdiocese maintained that it had no choice but to shutter the house of worship because cracks in the back wall had left the structure in imminent danger of collapsing.

The last Mass there was said on Sept. 12, 2004 — but the committee continued fighting to save the church, including raising $103,000 for repairs. They put the total price tag of saving the church at $500,000, but the archdiocese said the actual cost would be much higher — $6.9 million.

St. Brigid's was designed by famed architect Patrick Keely and built by Irish shipwrights who'd fled the Great Famine in 1848. Edward Cardinal Egan ordered the church closed in 2001.

dareh.gregorian@nypost.com

Thanks for posting that Lofter, but I think that it's a lost cause since the judge gave the Diocese permission to raze the Church. That really stinks.

I know

Besides the RC Church gonna need the $$$ ...

The Outing of Cardinal Egan

A priest's lawsuit alleges the Catholic Church is hiding pedophile clergy —
    and offers a stunning reason why

by Kristen Lombardi
    The Village Voice
    February 7, 2006

Who knows whether Cardinal Edward Egan is sleeping soundly these days. But as head of the New York archdio-cese—as the top Roman Catholic prelate in the state—he'd have every reason to be restless after the recent ad-vent of a little-noticed lawsuit.

The suit, now pending in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, was filed on December 13 by Bob Hoatson—a 53-year-old New Jersey priest considered a stalwart ally among survi-vors of sexual abuse by clergy. Hoatson, the now-sus-pended chaplain for Catholic Charities in Newark, is suing Egan and nine other Catholic officials and institutions, claiming a pattern of "retaliation and harassment" that began after Hoatson alleged a cover-up of clergy abuse in New York and started helping victims.

photo: Jay Muhlin
    "It's time the church confronts this dysfunction,"
    says Father Bob Hoatson.

But that's not all his lawsuit claims. Halfway through the 44-page complaint, the priest-turned-advocate drops a bomb on the cardinal: He alleges that Egan is "actively homosexual," and that he has "personal knowledge of this." His suit names two other top Catholic clerics in the region as actively gay—Albany bishop Howard Hubbard and Newark archbishop John Myers.

CONTINUE OFFSITE

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default This church looks very ordinary to me.

Nothing special. And if no one goes there, do we really need a 'church museum' to remind us that Christianity used to be popular?

I'm not especially impressed by this church.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    I'm not especially impressed by this church.
    Oh, I don't know; it's survival of folksy buildings like this that gives the East Village character. Do you suppose its replacement will? I think I'm with londonlawyer on this one.

Fix it and use it as a gay and lesbian center.

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    Nothing special. And if no one goes there, do we really need a 'church museum' to remind us that Christianity used to be popular?
    Nonetheless, it is a historic structure and should be preserved in my opinion.

Should be saved.... but we gotta admit it´s rather homely.

I don't think that it's homely. It's not as impressive as other churches of that period which tend to be Gothic in design (e.g., James Renwick's Grace Church), but it's a nice building.

I don´t know... scroll up to that interior shot.... looks like a four-eyed monster with Jesus in it´s mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    that interior shot.... looks like a four-eyed monster with Jesus in it´s mouth.
    Lol! It does!!

Folk architecture, but worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Nonetheless, it is a historic structure and should be preserved in my opinion.
    Just because a building is historic does not mean it should be preserved. Why don't you donate the millions to repair this place...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by djf17
    Just because a building is historic does not mean it should be preserved.
    That's what they said when they tore down Penn Station.

Just because a building is historic does not mean it should be preserved.
    What alternative criterion do you propose?

Why don't you donate the millions to repair this place...
    What exactly is your point? Maybe you should tell us what criterion you propose for saving a building. Is it just the one you've already advanced, which is finding someone to "donate millions"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast