Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 memorials, museums?

Default 9/11 Memorials

I am an outsider commenting on a very painful subject & please forgive me if I step on toes. It's not my intention. Whatever his motivation at least this man has built something to remember 9/11 while the politicians dicker & deal & so far seem to have accomplished nothing. Maybe the best way to judge the man is to visit his 'workshop'. I fully agree with the decision not to let the man post any more rants but shouldn't we stop taking shots at someone who can't defend himself here even if it's his own fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian
    shouldn't we stop taking shots at someone who can't defend himself here even if it's his own fault?
    I think so (what's the point in continuing to diss a borderline-personality megalomaniac anyhow?) Besides, there were/are genuine and well-done 9-11 photo documentaries. I'm thinking especially of Here is NewYork: a Democracy of Photographs (http://hereisnewyork.org/index2.asp). Although that physical show has closed and the origanization that sponsored it appears to be inactive, the book is still in print.

^^ Uhhhhh, nope.

I have visited Suson's "workshop" on-line; I agree that there are very powerful images to be seen.

As someone who lives close to the site of the September Horror Show I don't really need reminders of that day. As a citizen of NYC I don't need objects to tell me how incredible most NYers were in the days that followed.

But that is not the question. The question is one of Suson's integrity, honesty and purpose.

If Suson is so altruistic then he could simply post his photos on-line and make arrangements for people to view or acquire what they want -- all with very little overhead.

Instead Suson accepts money from people, saying that it all goes to charity.

But his own postings show that a big chunk of the funds he has received for "charity" have actually gone to pay HIMSELF (reimbursement for work he describes as "UNSALARIED").

Meanwhile he has failed to fulfill the necessary criteria to achieve charitable status. Therefore, he himself is NOT a charity. So he should NOT be using funds that people give to charity to pay himself.

In this day and age Suson could be distributing his photographs quite effectively and simply via the internet, but rather he has chosen to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an attempt to build a bricks-and-mortar museum. So why is he is not being very open or clear about what / where / how that museum is going to come to pass?

Perhaps Suson's intentions are pure -- but his actions and statements show that he shouldn't necessarily be trusted with funds that are supposed to go to those in need.

On the other hand Suson could just set up this whole thing as a purely commercial venture -- this would go a long way towards removing the "scam" label that follows him around. (But that wouldn't necessarily clear him fully -- it could leave him open to being branded as an "opportunist".)

If Suson wants to clear up any confusion he doesn't need to post anything here -- he could simply up-date his website, show that he has been certified as a charitable institution, and lay out the concrete plans he has for building and operating his new museum.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight
    ... what's the point in continuing to diss a borderline-personality megalomaniac anyhow?
    To let people know that the money he receives isn't being used for what he claims it is to be used for.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNUTHOUSEfd
    Hi - this is one of NY's Bravest Checking In...
    Maybe you are maybe you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNUTHOUSEfd
    This is my first and last posting on this site.
    All I can say to you guys is do the right thing.
    God Bless..

The Nuthouse
    Naturally you now have ZERO credibility. I guess you figure that none of your claptrap would hold up to scrutiny, so best not come back and face any questions.

Your whole childish argument on what is "official" and what isn't is incredibly idiotic. George Bush is not the "official" President of the United States. His TITLE is President of the United States of America. It is his "official title," but "official" is no part of the title. Your cheeseburger was not an "official" McDonald's Cheeseburger. It was a McDonald's Cheeseburger.

Suson was not the "official" anything for the FDNY. If he was an "official" anything he would simply have a title. If he was the photographer for the FDNY, he would be the FDNY Photographer and it would be his "official" title. Official is a word that con-artists often employ to give them credibility where they have none.

You even repeat the quote that Suson was "officially sanctioned". Let's just parse that quote and understand what the statement means. Officially sanctioned would mean that the person who gave Suson permssion to photograph on the site was an "Official" of some sort. It does not mean that Suson was an "official" anything. The FACT is that NO ONE currently EMPLOYED by the FDNY has offered any statement supporting his claim - which would be OFFICIAL.

Should you be checking back every half hour to see if forum members have cowered in the face of your ridiculous assertions, you might want to take a moment to address Lofter's post above. Seems Mr. Suson's biggest charity is the one that employs him. Of course, it isn't an actual registered "non-profit" its just him "donating his time" to his own cause - self-promotion and screwing unknowing visitors out of money with the assertion that it will go to charities. I'm guessing everyone who donated thought it would go to an "OFFICIAL" charity.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; March 26th, 2006 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    To let people know that the money he receives isn't being used for what he claims it is to be used for.
    I doubt that anyone needing a warning is likely to be reading this thread.

Banned Member

I am an outsider commenting on a very painful subject & please forgive me if I step on toes. It's not my intention. Whatever his motivation at least this man has built something to remember 9/11 while the politicians dicker & deal & so far seem to have accomplished nothing. Maybe the best way to judge the man is to visit his 'workshop'. I fully agree with the decision not to let the man post any more rants but shouldn't we stop taking shots at someone who can't defend himself here even if it's his own fault?
    There's no stepping on toes here. Someone posts and responses follow.

I think your endorsement of this guy simply because he "has built something to remember 9/11 while the politicians dicker & deal & so far seem to have accomplished nothing" is misguided. Brooklyn has built a 9/11 memorial as has Staten Island and other communities. Politicians aren't the only ones "dickering" with the memorial at the WTC Site. The biggest obstructionists to the construction of the memorial are the obnoxious self-centered and hateful "Coalition of 9/11 Families." A name they created and adopted rather than being anything OFFICIAL.

As for taking shots at him, reread this thread. A statement was made by Shadenfrau and there was certainly enough dicumentation and questions to make that statement feasible. It was Suson himself who came charging onto this board offering flimsy support in the way of pages from his own website. He asked us to read it and look at it and we did.

TheNuthousefd wrote:

I see you took alot of time to cut and paste some very bad things written about him by the Post. You didn't cut and paste anything else but the Post & another article that quotes the Post. . Get my point?
    The articles that we scrutinized were the ones he gave us and they did not offer the proof he said they would. The additional articles pulled from other publications would represent the folks on this board taking the subject seriously and BACKING UP their arguments with some documented proof. It was something that Suson couldn't do. His answer was not to engage, but rather to threaten. Also, it is worth stating here that Shadenfrau has a substantial body of posting on these boards and has proven to be intelligent, thoughtful and knowledgeable. We have Suson - or someone saying they are "Suson" - coming on here with no prior postings and behaving like a raving lunatic. Then, as "back-up" we have another first time poster "TheNuthousefd" swooping in with a post that to me REEKS of SUSON and includes little chestnuts like:

This is my first and last post on this website. To the man or woman who wrote that he is a liar and a scam artist -- sounds like he may have done something to you personally. He isn't a scam artist. He isn't a liar to us.
    It was important that this person let us know TWICE that this was his first and last post to this site. He offered NOTHING to support his argument and then has the gall to insinuate that he is speaking on behalf of a much larger group in the last sentence of the above quote.

This subject and the slothlike advancement of the OFFICIAL WTC 9/11 Memorial are unrelated. There's a thread in the "Skyscapers and Architecture" forum where you'll find a lot of other forum members equally frustrated by the pace of development at the WTC Site.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight
    I doubt that anyone needing a warning is likely to be reading this thread.
    Actually, people from all over the world find there way into these forums seeking information. They are precisely the people who do need the warning because from all appearances the museum is claiming to be a registered non-profit (which it isn't) and the museum solicits contributions for 9/11 related charities. As Lofter has shown us through official documentation, a shockingly small percentage of funds received by the museum have actually been distributed to registered 9/11 charities.

People post a thread and you can never predict where it will go. I know. I've posted some threads that caught fire in ways I never expected (and at times regretted). Everything in here is on topic.

The thread title is about 9/11 Memorials and Museums. Info was posted on Suson's "museum". That he is not here to defend himself is entirely of his own doing. No one needs to feel bad that he can't defend himself because he got himself banned FOR THREATENING THE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR AND MODERATORS.

For a simple opening question, this thread has staying power.

Lofter and BR: There are lawsuits with your names on them.

Gary: That's Zippy, with two P's.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Lofter and BR: There are lawsuits with your names on them.
    In the words of GWB: Bring it On!

I'm all lawyered up ...

Sunday's NY Post carried a report that St Vincent's has removed the 'missing' posters temporarily.
    I walked by there yesterday (7th Ave. / Greenwich) and the fence is still covered with postings.

Default 9/11 Memorials

The article was refering to the long display case hanging on the wall outside emergency. Can you tell me more about the fence. Do you mean the one with all the little schoolchildren angels?

Default 911 Memorials

I'm all lawyered up ...
    In my opinon Gary Marion Suson is nothing but an opportunist: a liar and a scam artist. Please feel free to add my name to the pending law suit. (LoL)

From American Oxford Dictionary - OPPORTUNIST |ˌäpərˈt(y)oōnist| noun a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans : most burglaries are committed by casual opportunists.
    Last edited by infoshare; March 29th, 2006 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Can you tell me more about the fence.
    It's a "cyclone" metal fence around an empty lot across the street from St. Vincents. Postings cover pretty much the entire fence.

Default Bring It On

I'm all lawyered up ...

Glad to see a man that quotes the Great George W. Bush.
    You have some good sense I see.

Good man.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast