Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 76 Madison

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    You can project your own prejudices onto these people, dehumanize them and think of them only in terms of their affect on your investment, or you can look at this building in your neighborhood as one more source of interesting and diverse people. You've offered nothing to support your apprehension other than deep-rooted fear of poor people.

The upper east side or a gated exurb community seems much more apropos given the glimpse into your priorities.
    Bonnemazou,
    Watch the credibility gap here. BR has previously extolled the virtues of his "private house" in one of the "nicest neighborhoods in the City". Tis easy to lecture from a roomy residence on the UES or, for that matter, in Park Slope.

Enjoy your priorities. Many share them, albeit some with the requisite amount of guilt.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by bonnemazou
    ...But the fact is that your average real estate in Manhattan is now so expensive that for me at least it means a big mortgage and so on. And yes the perspective of this kind financial burden makes me tense and warry of falling into a financial trap.

I think the developer gave me the usual runaround about the building and kind of sidestepped the issue when they should be open about it. Other new developement in that area maybe more appropriate for me.
    Sounds like your answer as to whether this building is right or not can be found in your statement. There are so many other buildings that don't pose this particular problem.

Banned Member

Bonnemazou-

You asked for "thoughts" on your post and I gave you an honest opinion, perhaps stated strongly because I volunteer as a "buddy" for a Prince George resident. Take what you will from my post. Your concerns are not uncommon, but similar posts have been posted (such as in the Orion thread) about low income residences. The negative portayl of these people bothers me. I walk by that building daily and I go into that building weekly. "Rough" is not a word that describes that neighborhood. It might just be a poor choice of words as opposed to any kind of prejudice. That aside....

Quote Originally Posted by GLNY
    Bonnemazou,
    Watch the credibility gap here. BR has previously extolled the virtues of his "private house" in one of the "nicest neighborhoods in the City". Tis easy to lecture from a roomy residence on the UES or, for that matter, in Park Slope.

Enjoy your priorities. Many share them, albeit some with the requisite amount of guilt.
    Well, this thread was about Bonnemazou's impression of 76 Madison Avenue and the surrounding neighborhood and the request for our thoughts. You instead have chosen to offer a post about me.

I've got no problem being challenged on my posts or opinions, but let's see these quotes backed up with some supporting evidence. Don't put words in my mouth or take previous posts out of context. You'll be hard pressed to find any posts anywhere to support your your obnoxious and off-topic retort. In short, you are a liar with some pathological need to make particularly obnoxious posts.

Perhaps you forgot this exchange after Zippy had to delete one of your previous presonal attacks on another poster:

Zippy,
    No need to apologize for addressing difficult topics. However, you might explain why you deleted my post last night that provided context to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    The information was in context, but the post was worded as a personal remark directed at another person.

I was going to edit it, but it would not have made sense. I deleted it, and intended to PM you to rephrase your post, but I was distracted, and forgot the PM. I apologize for that.
    No problem, Zippy. Thanks for the clarification. Keep up the good work.
    GL
    Apparently, you need that clarification again. If you are going to quote me, then quote me in full and insert the link. But, you can't because you won't find me posting anything along the lines of what you are attributing to me. You seem intent to assume the guise of some all-knowing forum member, with your 53 posts, having the nerve to talk about my credibility after I've offered thousands of posts here over the years. My views on some subjects differ from others, in some cases clash with others, and at times can aggravate some. But I am honest in my responses and, if the subject stokes it, emotionally charged.

But if you are spoiling for confrontation, here it is.

You are attributing quotes to me that aren't true.

That's YOUR credibility gap AND you have once again violated the rules of posting after having them explained to you.

'nuf said.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; February 24th, 2006 at 02:49 PM.

Default 76 Madison

What do people think of 76 Madison from an investment perspective?

The neighborhood definitely has a fair amount of new development but there are several things about that area that could hold it back (eg, still seems to be a major hub for prostitution late at night, 24 hour McDonalds at 28th & Park creates a lot of late night noise, the hecticness of broadway in the high 20s/low 30s, and the existence of several homeless shelters in the area). On the plus side there is the aforementioned rush of new developments, the proximity to many subway lines and madison park, and the Carlton hotel seems pretty cool.

Thoughts?

The strip of Broadway between 32nd and 25th is ripe for renovation / redevelopment. If things continue in the current vein I'd guess that this strip will go through major changes over the next 5 years.

Banned Member

I think it is a great area. The only real drawback is grocery shopping. But, it is rapidly changing and the area's retail will follow. Madison Park has really turned out to be a wonderful park that has been restored and is offering some of the best public art installments as well as great entertainment programs. It's also not particularly noisy, because of the park and because Madison only starts at 23rd Street. Great transportation uptown east & west and downtown. With the large number of buildings coming online in the next two years it will be a very different neighborhood. I think that Broadway will remain a boundary for the neighborhood, but I suspect the wholesalers in that area will be pushed out of the area. It is a central transportation corridor and the seep of development can't be too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    The strip of Broadway between 32nd and 25th is ripe for renovation / redevelopment. If things continue in the current vein I'd guess that this strip will go through major changes over the next 5 years.
    Not so fast..........that little slice of the third world known as Bway between 32nd and 25th sts commands some of highest prices psf anywhere......add greedy landlords to the mix and you got Calcutta/Nairobi in for the long hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Peakrate212
    that little slice of the third world known as Bway between 32nd and 25th sts commands some of highest prices psf anywhere.
    What's the going rate along B'way there?

Not sure what the retail goes for, but even the upstairs spaces go for alot.

They are very small, so the price psf is astrinomical if any of the tenants actually figured it out. But.......they want to be there - Now the question is: What exactly do they do?

import/export?
    counterfeit goods distribution?
    Sleeper Cells?
    retail to new immigrants?

money laundering?

Banned Member

All feeding our economy in one way or another.

Unhappy Good for families?

After having read all the above posts, I am now re-thinking my purchase at 76 Madison. Do you think it is suitable for a family? I actually walked into Prince George today and im not saying its bad to live near people with low incomes etc, but the lobby does have wierd people walking in, there is also a club right next door the the hotel and the cafe's have a lot of loiterers hanging around? In terms of investment value - I think it would take a few years for things to kick in after all the new development take place right?

The apts are very nice - however after walking there at night, I would be concerned about who was walking behing me at night, its very quiet? Am I being silly here? I agree with the orginal poster that you do have to think abou these things when investing so much money?

Go with your gut ...

If it feels wrong for you then it probaby is.

Default thanks

I just did some homework on SOR and I think its a great idea for all the people who live there and that they can help out homlessness in the city, however I don't think it will help the developers sell the property as there is alot to think about if you have a choice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12