Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the spread of midtown...

Default the spread of midtown...

it is fairly obvious to see that midtowns skyline is spreading out. all of the projects on the upper west side, around the esb and 42nd street, as well as the westside development and the javits centre mean that midtown is growing into its surrounding areas. it is obvious that once an area of a small island is full, it will grow outwards, this folks, is what we are experiencing.

i have always thought that in the future, both the downtown and midtown skylines will grow so much, they will seem as one. - its well on its way.

what are your opinions on midtowns 'expanding' area?

The valley of low buildings between Midtown and Downtown is probably perpetual, held in place by zoning. It's likely there will never be skyscrapers in say, the West Village.

This may be conjecture. But I've always heard downtown and midtown sit on large slabs of granite which can support high density high rise buildings. That the Gramercy to Village area is made of different rock which cannot support such weight.

That's true. The area between Midtown and Downtown is a valley of rubble gouged out by the ice-sheet. The same bedrock is there, but it's deeper.

Historically Midtown and Downtown were always far easier, and more economical, to build skyscrapers on because of how high bedrock came up in those areas.

While today we could probably build skyscrapers in the middle, and developers probably would because of the price of real estate nowadays, zoning has locked those areas into low-density development.

This isn't necessarily bad, I mean the Village would lose its character in my opinion if it turned into a carbon copy of 6th Avenue between 23rd and 34th street.

If the skyline is expanding anywhere, it's the opposite bank of the East River.

To follow up on Zippy's recent post, here, check out the One Bryant Park thread if you really want to dig up some dirt on the Ice Age!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If you look at this aerial of Midtown, you will see how the title of this thread is really based out of misperception. Notice how the highrise section of Midtown is really only concentrated in a limited area of Manhattan while the lowrise areas are more dominant.

Wow, that photo just shows what the West side stadium could've done for the area. Big loss IMO.

That's a good picture. It's interesting how 42nd St. has some of the only highrises on the West side of Manhattan.

It is weird how Midtown just suddenly stops at 9th Avenue.

Hopefully the new zoning and the 7 line extension will change all this...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    It is weird how Midtown just suddenly stops at 9th Avenue.
    Actually, that's 8th Ave. where the "drop-off" occurs.

im well aware that there is more lowrise than highrise, but the skyline is spreading out you have to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by hella good
    im well aware that there is more lowrise than highrise, but the skyline is spreading out you have to admit.
    Walking across 42nd street I'd have to agree but we have a ways to go and I wish someone would cover up those rail yards...

I was just on the East Side near 3rd avenue (midtown) and one thing caught my attension....

It seems like the building of high-rise condos and offices follow the subway line down the island. As soon as you get a block or two away, you really do not have many huge buildings shooting up....

Is it just me, or does there seem to be that invisible development line?
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; February 24th, 2006 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast