Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SANTORINI, Greece- a different sort of skyscrapers

Default SANTORINI, Greece- a different sort of skyscrapers

These pictures from my last visit to Santorini show what might be a different kind of skyscrapers- as the entire villages are built on the lip of a volcano towering over an encircled sea.

Absolutely spectacular, but no longer a real place, right? More like a resort hotel functioning in the manner of a colonial animal, yes?

Fantastic pics of one of my favorite places. MidtownGuy, we seem to have the same tastes in travel intineraries.

How could you build this place and meet the wheelchair code?

bsolutely spectacular, but no longer a real place, right? More like a resort hotel functioning in the manner of a colonial animal, yes?

Not really, ablarc. Most of the properties are small and owned by Greeks, thousands of whom live year round there and/or are natives of Santorini. Although, as with every European place of great interest, the summer months see the population increase by several times, and every yiayia(grandma) becomes an enterpreneur. Unlike in a pure resort, many Greeks here are still growers of the vine or fishermen, more evident when you explore areas outside of Fira, the main town. You will see the island children playing in the streets, oblivious to the tourists, and plenty of little scenes like the one above.
    Greece has laws about keeping the traditional style of architecture here, which is the most functional anyway, and menus are required to have a preponderance of Greek dishes. This prevents streets lined with fish-n-chips joints or chain restaurants. The Greek Islands, thankfully, will always be Greek.

some more...

MidtownGuy, we seem to have the same tastes in travel intineraries.
    I really love that part of the world!

Often, the roof of one unit provides the terrace of the one above. There must be horizontal property lines as well as vertical ones. Like condos with all units entered from outside.

Glad to see it's still a real place, MidtownGuy. Did you fly there or did you have to take a boat?

Is the nightlife as, shall we say...lively as it is in Mykonos?

How was the heat?

Is it fairly reasonably-priced? When is high season, and do places stay open when it's not?

I took the ferry to Santorini because I like the drama of entering the caldera on a ship. The ride was comfortable and i had my laptop with me so plenty to keep busy with. I wasn't really worried about time but for those with less time ( for me it was the beginning of one month in Greece) maybe the plane is better.
    To get from Crete to Rhodes, a longer distance, I took Aegean Airlines which I like very much and is usually around 100 euros for a quick flight.

The nightlife is very lively, but for gay people there are not the venues that
    Mykonos presents. Still, it is a very open and welcoming scene to all. While in Santorini I tended to focus more on getting up early to photograph and sight-see, saving the partying for my next island stop, Mykonos.

The weather was sunny and hot but not oppressive heat. In the shade, which is throughout the winding alleyways, the temperature was always pleasant. Plus there is always a breeze.

It's more expensive than the other islands. High season is June to September 1, but some places are open year round and Spring and fall are quite warm and sunny. Spring may be the best time to go. It starts warming there very early.

How long ago was there an eruption? Was it in historic or geological times? Are the folks there living on the edge of oblivion, like San Franciscans?

The eruption took place 3,500 years ago, or about 1500 BC.
    Smoke still rises from the central island and the rocks are hot so who knows!The last eruption was in 1950 and a devastating earthquake hit in 1956.

Livin' on the edge.

The Dude Abides

Thanks for those wonderful pictures, MidtownGuy. You've really done some incredible travelling; I can only hope I get the chance to do it someday, too.

I've had a chance to visit a lot of Italy, mainly the usual suspects (Amalfi Coast, Capri, etc.) but Greece looks even more stunning. I don't know, there's just something about those whitewashed walls and the color of the water. I've got to get over there at some point. Got any suggestions for a trip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast