Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avery - 100 Riverside Blvd - Condo - Upper West Side - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by Peakrate212
    You can thank your elected official Jerry Nadler for this. There were federal funds granted to put the highway at level (or underground), however Nadler traded them in for mass transit funds (dont know if NYC ever got them - and you now the Feds are more than happy to take back any money for New York) thinking that that would stop Trump from building Riverside South...NOPE, that didnt work.....so now we have a beautiful park that is lies underneath an ugly elevated highway instead of on top of a hidden highway...Yet another lost opportunity to remove the highways blocking access to the Riverfront (Westway was another). I always think of Boston where everybody complained about the "Big Dig" but now it is done and the highways are underneath the street and its awesome. While we in New York are so scared from the past and what Robert Moses did to destroy neighborhoods, that we don't fight for good projects like this would have been. And by the way.....did this move by Nadler have any affect on his political career? Of course not, the knee jerk liberals of the west side would never vote anyway but Democratic, so he remains in office. Thanks Jerry.

I totally agree you. I mean if we are getting any money to bury either elevated highway... on the East elevated or the west elevated no matter if it blocks the views of a few floors, we should take that money. In the long run it will be good for the city. The park will have great sunlight and anyone will get to use the park and no more of that highway noise.

It's easy to dismiss the problem, Lofter, if it's on other folks' turf. It's not my territory either-- I don't even live in New York-- but I care a lot about the city as an environment, and I know that this elevated highway is a frightful blight. An abomination, in fact.

i do not understand why did TRUMP stand for that

Because the Donald wouldn't PAY for it -- he wanted the taxpayers to cough up the cash.

Clearly the elevated road way has not posed any problem as the new residences that have gone up here seem to be selling / renting like gangbusters -- and I'm sure the prices aren't cheap.

Public money can be used for a far better purpose than pulling down this road and building a new one in a tunnel just to make life a bit more pleasant for the new inhabitants of this newly built area.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    I know that this elevated highway is a frightful blight. An abomination, in fact.
    I like it -- I like the shaded areas it offers to the park -- I like the way it creates a zone along the river that is completely distinct from the newly built area above -- I like the arches where it meets Riverside Drive -- I just like it.

^ You might have liked the one that wound its way through Boston.

I'll be honest with you: I don't think there's an elevated highway anywhere anytime that's been acceptable. I certainly have never seen one. Anywhere. Anytime.

It's just a bad thing, like wife-beating or bank robbery or parking lots (never saw one of those I liked either). We should just stop doing it.

Then again, I can't say I like graffiti much either.
    Last edited by ablarc; February 27th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Because the Donald wouldn't PAY for it -- he wanted the taxpayers to cough up the cash.

Clearly the elevated road way has not posed any problem as the new residences that have gone up here seem to be selling / renting like gangbusters -- and I'm sure the prices aren't cheap.

Public money can be used for a far better purpose than pulling down this road and building a new one in a tunnel just to make life a bit more pleasant for the new inhabitants of this newly built area.

I though the plan was that Trump will pay for half the cost to bury it and the feds will pay for the other half. I honestly don't like it. What about that noise? Its very unappealing looking... just like all of those elevated Highways that are all over the city for that matter. The Feds should bury all of them whenever they can.

It's just a bad thing, like wife-beating or bank robbery or parking lots (never saw one of those I liked either).
    I was sure you'd be a fan of ALL those
    We should just stop doing it.
    I'm not in favor of building new elevated hiways. But I'm also not a fan of spending millions to move a road that has proven not to be in the way of anything -- especially when millions were recently spent to rebuild it.

Now, it YOU want to finance the tear down / tunnel re-build that could be a different story ...

You might have liked the one that wound its way through Boston.
    Nope -- but it's a whole diffent story when a road like that actually cuts a city in half. and glad to hear they worked out the problems. That new greenbelt will be a huge boon to Boston.

Another one I hated was the Embarcadero Freeway in SF -- but serendipity struck -- an earthquake came along and took care of that one

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    I was sure you'd be a fan of ALL those
    Oh, and I forgot: farting in elevators.

The Avery:

Last edited by krulltime; January 5th, 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Extell launches the Avery on Riverside Boulevard

03-MAR-06

Extell Development held a tent party last night at its construction site for The Avery, a residential condominium building at 65th Street and Riverside Boulevard on the Upper West Side.

Entertainment was provided by Seal, the singer.

Extell and the Carlyle Group paid about $1.8 billion recently to acquire 20 acres between 59th and 65th Streets from Donald Trump and a consortium of investors from Hong Kong who have been developing properties to the north along Riverside Boulevard that ends at 72nd Street.

The Avery has been designed by Costas Kondylis and will be 30 stories high and have 274 apartments.

One-bedroom units are expected to start at about $750,000 and penthouses are priced about $3.9 million. It is expected to be completed next year.

Gary Barnett, the head of Extell, was quoted by Motoko Rich in a February 23, 2006 article in the New York Times as stating that the “launch” party was about “signaling that there’s new ownership and we’re doing things a bit differently.”

Extell and Carlyle are expected to erect six buildings on their property that overlooks the West Side Highway and the Hudson River.

The Avery will have a residents’ theater, a gaming room, a 24-hour library with wireless Internet access, an entertaining room, a children’s playroom “outfitted with toys, books and soft mats,” a fitness center, a garage and “Abigail Michaels’ hotel-style concierge service.” The building will have a two-story-high lobby and kitchens will have “ribbed aluminum upper cabinets, and Sub-Zero and Miele appliances.

Extell has recently become one of the city’s most active developers. Some of its other projects include the Orion on West 42nd Street, the Ariel East and West on Broadway at 99th Street, Altair 18 and Altair 20 in Chelsea, the W. Hotel in Times Square, and the Inter-Continental Hotel in Boston.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY

A little hard to tell from the angle in that rendering, but could it be that Extell is upping the design bar with this one?

The placement of the windows brings to mind The Majestic on CPW -- although I doubt that it will have the refinement of that old beauty ... and of course it lacks the classic double tower ( http://www.cityrealty.com/condos/bui...e.php?lid=5020 ) :

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    I though the plan was that Trump will pay for half the cost to bury it and the feds will pay for the other half. I honestly don't like it. What about that noise? Its very unappealing looking... just like all of those elevated Highways that are all over the city for that matter. The Feds should bury all of them whenever they can.

The Feds would never give the money to New York to bury the highway - They gave it once and we didnt use it.

does anyone by chance know if foundation work began in 2005 or 2006???

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast