Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avery - 100 Riverside Blvd - Condo - Upper West Side - by Costas Kondylis

Default Riverside South Park meeting

Unfortunately, I will be out of town for Extell's Riverside South Park meeting. Could someone please post an overview of the discussion? Thanks a ton.

Default Garage

I went into the garage and inquired about the cost, they want $500 a month which is the highest in the area. When we bought in the building they told us the cost would be $300 to $400, I was actually told by Icon the cost would be about the same as the garage we are in now, I think they're taking advantage of us and we should not park there, so they lower the rate.

I think that the $500 per month is a complete rip-off. For comparison, a five-minute walk will get you to a Central Parking location on 60th and West End, where parking is $250 per month.

Default Averyriverside.com is Back!

The gods at Extell/Corcoran heard our collective prayers and restored the website. Nice to have it back, don't ya think?

Default http://www.averyriverside.com/

Yes - They need to take a look at their rendering (on thier website) and build out the park, instead of the graffiti plastered whole we have now. Or just paint over the graffiti, when a potential buyer walks in the park and takes look at the building its what you notice.

Default Upcoming elections for the board

I was overall impressed with the caliber of the candidates. Assuming the CVs are representative of the general population, we do have a bunch of smart and well-educated residents. I feel privileged to be part of the group.

At the same time, a couple of potential representatives depressed me. I would like to be very specific on one of them - the resident of 5A. We had already so many issues requiring intervention from the management co (cooking with entry door opened all the time, leaving stuff and mess by the door for days, smelly trash not properly disposed) I can't believe the resident has the nerve to be a candidate...

Wish we had a system to vote AGAINST candidates :-)

Any thoughts on who would be good / who would not?

Disclaimer: I am not a candidate and currently do not support any.

Default sailaway

Does anyone have any concerns about all the dog poo left on the street opposite our building? I cannot believe how much stuff is not picked up.

Today I saw someone whose dog went to the bathroom and the "owner" could not get their bag opened, so they started to walk away. I happened to be outside and just starred at them until they went back to the droppings and finally opened their bag and scooped up the remains - and brought them back into the building! There are so many garbage cans on the street. This is absolutely appalling. Where do we live, in the slums? What is wrong with people who cannot clean up after their dogs? We should be responsible for our animals. It is not anyone else's job to clean up after our dogs.

Sorry for sounding so angry, but there is no excuse for this.

It is a disgusting practice to put dog crap in garbage bags which have been tied up and placed at curbside for pick-up by Sanitation Workers. Chances are if anyone tries to stick a dog bag into a closed garbage bag the poop will end up (1) on the sidealk or (2) on the guy who picks up the bag.

Crap is crap and it should be disposed of in a proper and sanitary way -- not just stashed someplace for someone else to deal with. It's part of the responsibility of having a dog in the City. If somebody can't handle that then they either should leave town or get rid of the pet.

It is normal practice in NYC (where there are no alleys in which to hide our refuse) that garbage bags go onto the sidewalk at the end of the business day and are not picked up until midnight-4 AM. Not necessarily a pretty sight, but back in the day when NYC was a gritty town where things were made and the street were populated by something other than folks with buds in their ears it was a practice which somehow made sense.

Default Dog Poop

Sailaway I aplaud you for your comment and actions. I too am appalled at the inconsiderate PIGS that don't clean up after their dogs. I am a dog owner and make sure to have a sufficient amount of bags and disapose of my dogs excretions properly. I also try to have my dog go at the curb or fence edge of the cobble stones rather than in the middle of the sidewalk . A casual walk recently is turning into an obstacle course.

I called 311 and filed a complaint yesterday to the department of sanitation. They said they would look into it and possibly send an enforcement agent . If more of you call maybe we will get some action. The DOT certinly has no hesitation about ticketing for any minor parking irnfaction as the agents swoop down our block like vultures on many mornings.

I also can't understand the lazy residents that allow their dogs to urinate on the fire hydrant and planters in front of our building. This is not only disgusting but unsanitary as people are loading and unloading cars here. How difficult is it to simply cross the street.

Default Nasty

I agree with all the comments about the gross habit that many dog owners are it. I very much appreciate for those considerate enough to curb your dog and not let it go all over the middle of the sidewalk. It is also much appreciated when your dogs are well trained enough to not attack others when in common areas...THANK YOU!

Default Endorsement of Candidates for Avery Board

We just received an updated list of candidates, and I was glad to see that there were numerous qualified candidates who expressed their desire to serve on our board. Unfortunately, I will be away during the annual meeting but also thought that this forum could be used to vet the candidates based on our interaction with some of them this past year. Of the candidates, I support Slava Hazin because he has demonstrated a strong interest in our building, and Lisa Booker for her leadership on the efforts to attempt to stop the rezoning of P.S. 199. While most of the candidates have impressive backgrounds, I think that it is important for us to vote for individuals who have showed a long-term interest in our building and the surrounding community. I am curious for other residents' views.

Quote Originally Posted by webplm View Post
    I was overall impressed with the caliber of the candidates. Assuming the CVs are representative of the general population, we do have a bunch of smart and well-educated residents. I feel privileged to be part of the group.

At the same time, a couple of potential representatives depressed me. I would like to be very specific on one of them - the resident of 5A. We had already so many issues requiring intervention from the management co (cooking with entry door opened all the time, leaving stuff and mess by the door for days, smelly trash not properly disposed) I can't believe the resident has the nerve to be a candidate...

Wish we had a system to vote AGAINST candidates :-)

Any thoughts on who would be good / who would not?

Disclaimer: I am not a candidate and currently do not support any.

Default Friends of Riverside Park South (FORPS)

Avery neighbors,

You may have recently received a letter from Riverside Park Fund introducing Friends of Riverside Park South (FORPS), a new group of community residents established under the umbrella of Riverside Park Fund. I would like to invite you to the first FORPS meeting of 2009, and I reserved the Avery Conference Room at (SC1) on January 7, 2008, at 8pm to discuss:
    • How Extell's plans for Riverside Center will impact Riverside Park South
    • The current status of and immediate plans for the next phase(s) of Riverside Park South
    • What you can do now to ensure that future plans for the remainder of Riverside South preserve the original civic vision for Riverside Park South
    I urge you to attend this important information session. You can also find more information and learn how you can help FORPS support Riverside Park South and eventually sink the elevated portion of the West Side Highway by visiting us at www.riversideparksouthnyc.org.

To RSVP, please contact me at geneboxer@gmail.com.

Regards,

UniversalNY
    aka Gene Boxer (6N)

Default Candidates

I am very pleased to see so much interest in people running for our board. It is great to know that we will have an active board and a large community of residents who care about our home. Serving on the board means having to deal with everybody's issues and complaints, and no matter what, you can never make everyone happy. Thankfully there are people who are willing to give back to our community by working for us and making sure that our best interests are represented. As far as the candidates go, I know Slava Hazin personally. I met him through this blog. He has been the primary contributor of information on this blog (just click on his username, Slavman1, and read more than 100 of his postings). He is always in contact with Extell, Penmark and Corcoran on building issues and developments. I was one of the first to move in here over 1 year ago, and in that period I have become friends with him and his family. He has two kids attending a local school. I know that he is passionate about our issues, and is open enough to listen to different opinions. I won't always agree with him, but I know he listens and cares. I strongly encourage everyone to support Slava.

Default Dog Poop

Over the past couple of months, the sidewalks around the Avery have become increasingly covered in dog feces. It was not like this when I first moved in and it is a very disturbing trend. As a dog owner, I will tell you that I don't take pleasure in picking up my dog's poop, but I view it as my duty to clean up after my dog - at all times - even if it's raining, snowing or freezing cold outside. It is becoming very unpleasant to walk around the neighborhood, not to mention the fact that it has become a challenge to walk my dog since I have to worry about him stepping in it as well. I will say that it is a bit annoying that there aren't any trash cans that are closer to the building, but it is what it is - it's a matter of one block! Those people who don't clean up after their dogs - and they know who they are - are making it difficult for those of us who are responsible dog owners.

Default Dog Poop

I can't understand how an Avery resident would allow their dog to poop anywhere, especially in the vicinity of their new building and not clean it up.
    And yet, I also witnessed a resident allowing their dog to poop right in front of the building and then try to slip away without cleaning it up.
    While we can't impact others who walk dogs in our neighborhood, we should set a good example for ourselves. I suggest someone put some polite but stern notices at the front desk. And maybe some more $1,000 fine signs on the west fencing.
    Last edited by CatchTheWind; January 11th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.