Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avery - 100 Riverside Blvd - Condo - Upper West Side - by Costas Kondylis

Default Glass Half Full

Optimism is good. But it's not about optimism or pessimism.
    It's about realism.
    Let's go beyond the NY Times story which was really just an advertisement for concierge services.
    While it's nice to put a positive spin on things, all of the optimism and free wine will not build a park in front of our building. And that's really my point. Many of us were led to believe that the park would be built once the Rushmore was finished. That is obviously not the case.
    This is not a time for cheerleaders. What we need at the Avery are advocates who will go head to head with Extell (not in an antagonizing way but in a firm way) and get them to lead the charge for building the park and helping with the school district situation.
    That being said, I applaud your passion for the building. And I'd be happy to share a half empty glass of wine with you one day.
    Last edited by CatchTheWind; January 11th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

Default A Park would be Nice, but let's Start with the Dog S#@!

I love dogs. They make the world a better place. But most dogs can not pick up there own poo unfortunately. This puts a heavy burden on the dog owner to bend over and do their civic duty. Based upon the extraordinary amount of s!@# that I dodge each day on Riverside Blvd. it appears that certain dog owners are not doing their part. Come on people, you know the laws. I know its cold out. I know the economy stinks. I know the Giants lost. But you got to pick it up. (I know the overwhelming majority of owners do their part, but like everything in our fine city, it only takes a few to magnify things).

Default Let's Get Real

Come on guys. No one on this board can be that naive. Cleary, the NY Times article was an advertisement and clearly, Mr. Levinson and his fiance were fortunate enough to know someone who would quote them in that article - just in time for today's meeting. Let us not forget that Mr. Levinson is running for a seat on the Avery condo board. As far as SlavMan goes, I guess you could say that his enthusiasm is commendable, but chastising others for not seeing the glass half empty seems to reflect a complete lack of understanding as to the current state of world affairs. Perhaps he is one of the fortunate few who has been able to continue living the high life, despite a huge economic downturn that seems to be altering the lives (at least to some extent) of the even the wealthiest people. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing so many of my friends and colleagues suffer as a result of the current state of the economy and the state of world affairs, has me seeing the glass as half empty these days. This board is almost as political as the development of Riverside South! I don't think it's a matter of seeing the glass as half full or half empty - it's a matter of seeing the glass as it is. Let's just keep it real!

Default Outcome from Building Board Meeting

Could someone who attended provide an update on how the meeting / elections tonight go? Who were voted to represent us?

Thanks!

Default The ballots will be counted tomorrow (1/13)

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Could someone who attended provide an update on how the meeting / elections tonight go? Who were voted to represent us?

Thanks!
    The ballots will be counted tomorrow. As for the meeting, all the candidates spoke (some better than others), though, as was often mentioned, each one is quite accomplished and capable (especially my wife, Lisa ).

Aside from the candidate presentations, questions were presented to Extell regarding the development (or lack thereof) of the park across the street. There was also talk of dog poop (especially across the street) and a very spirited and poignant discussion of tobacco smoke intruding into non-smokers' apartments, cigaret butts found in the fire stairwells and butts thrown onto terraces. Oh, and there was one woman who complained that the staff was not attentive enough, but seemingly no one else (at least those sitting near us) thought that that was the case - the staff at the Avery generally is exceptional and extraordinarily helpful in my opinion.
    Last edited by Wine Dude; January 13th, 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Default Last night's meeting

I thought the candidates seemed capable and passionate. The toughest job will be dealing with the Extell members of the board and making sure they don't flim flam us with rhetoric and half truths. Right now, Extell needs to show us that they are just as good at delivering on their promises as they are at marketing. As one woman pointed out, the current plans for the park in front of the Avery could be several years away. One candidate said he plans to live in the building till he dies. I wonder if he'll see the park completed in time. Hopefully the selected board members will be up to this task.

Default The back courtyard

This may not be the right time to be asking about this (considering how cold it is), but is the rear area done? I was under the impression that there would be landscaping and places to sit. Right now, it just sort of looks like there are some random weeds in the flower beds.

Cool Let's Get Really Real

Quote Originally Posted by NewOwner View Post
    Come on guys. No one on this board can be that naive. Cleary, the NY Times article was an advertisement and clearly, Mr. Levinson and his fiance were fortunate enough to know someone who would quote them in that article - just in time for today's meeting. Let us not forget that Mr. Levinson is running for a seat on the Avery condo board. As far as SlavMan goes, I guess you could say that his enthusiasm is commendable, but chastising others for not seeing the glass half empty seems to reflect a complete lack of understanding as to the current state of world affairs. Perhaps he is one of the fortunate few who has been able to continue living the high life, despite a huge economic downturn that seems to be altering the lives (at least to some extent) of the even the wealthiest people. I don't know about anyone else, but seeing so many of my friends and colleagues suffer as a result of the current state of the economy and the state of world affairs, has me seeing the glass as half empty these days. This board is almost as political as the development of Riverside South! I don't think it's a matter of seeing the glass as half full or half empty - it's a matter of seeing the glass as it is. Let's just keep it real!
    I would file this posting along with the rest of the "poop" stories.

Default Moving forward in the age of Obama

Now that the election is over (for the board), I think we should take a page from the Obama notebook. If Obama can shake hands with McCain, we should all be able to work together to make the Avery the best building it can be.
    In other words, we need to be united to achieve our objectives.
    This is the beginning of a new moment for our building.
    We will have new board members who will need our support. And they will have the responsibility of representing us in our concerns. From the school district issues to the unbuilt park to the general building problems to yes, even the inconsiderate people who leave dog poop on the street.
    We need all of the best people and the best ideas. Because every decision we make, every action we take will have a lasting impact on our building, our neighborhood and our investments.

Default elections

Does anyone know who got elected? I undestood results were to be in yesterday. cheers.

Default Elections

I heard it is Slava Hazin (Slavman1) and Andrew Levinson. Sorry if I spelled name wrong. Congrats, steer us well and keep us proud.

Question elections

When will management confirm the election?

Default Election

Well, it was just posted on the Avery Residents web site...Hazin and Levinson won. While I am naturally disappointed that Lisa did not win, let me be among the first to congratulate the two gents who won! Please serve us well!!

Default The Election

The notice, which was issued yesterday, was posted on the building's website today.

Election Results for Avery Board of Managers

Notice To:
    Posted By: Gerry Grady on 1/14/09
    Category: Building Documents

Board for Avery is as follows. Please see attachment.

Slava Hazin (Unit 3F)

Andrew Levinson (Unit 11C)

Donna Gargano (Extell)

Joe Montano (Extell)

Matt Lobron (Extell)

Please join us in congratulating the winners.

Thank you

Gerry Grady

646 821 4541
    __________________________________________________ _________

I would like to thank everyone who came to the meeting last Monday, and participated in the election process and gave your elected reps a vote of confidence in our ability to serve you. As anyone who was there can attest, the residents of the building had a lot to say and the Board will have its hands full addressing your concerns. From now on I have to do my "cheerleading" for the Avery and its residents not from the sidelines (this message board), but from the Board itself. It is for this reason that I have to sign off for now, because I cannot do both at the same time. From time to time, I may post some personal musings, but will leave any discussions about the building to others who care to post.

Slava