Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avery - 100 Riverside Blvd - Condo - Upper West Side - by Costas Kondylis

Gringo, you put a smile on my face.

I did not get the latest amendment yet, but I am very happy about the strong sales. BTW - They recently opened up a supermarket called Jubilee in the back of one of the old Trump buildings. I am currently a renter at 220 RSB, looking forward to moving to our new home at 100RSB this year. In reply to another post, there is a few retail stores on Freedom Place, the road on the other side of all the former trump buildings. There is the supermarket, wine store, day care, animal hospital and coming soon, a spa. I hope they build a restuarant there (Just not in the Avery) soon. All we have to eat within a couple blocks is the pier on 70th street in the summer.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ckucic View Post
    I hope they build a restuarant there (Just not in the Avery) soon.
    Interesting. The it's all right over there but not here mentality.

If everyone thought that way, this city would be one mighty dull place 'cause no one would allow a restaurant in their building.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Lofter1: Thanks for the updated photo!

I suppose that all purchasers got the latest amendment last week. Apparently each western facing unit saw a purchase price increase of $50,000! Sales continue to be exceptionally strong.

From what I am being told, things are still on target for move-ins starting some point in September.
    gringo, are you by chance the marketing broker for avery?

Default Just really happy we chose this building

Quote Originally Posted by jennicak View Post
    gringo, are you by chance the marketing broker for avery?
    I am a corporate lawyer and in no way associated with real estate, marketing or the Avery in any way (except as a purchaser). It is a bit of an odd question, since, as someone once said on this board ;->, "nothing wrong with cheering for your home team!..."

My wife and I are just ready to move, and are especially excited about our purchase. Being that we are currently tucked away in a far corner of Manhattan without much park access, we are looking forward to being across the street from a park, to having ready access to the toddlers' playground for our son, being in a really good school district (if we choose that route eventually), being really close to Lincoln Center, etc. Add to that the fact that there has been a significant price increase on the unit that we are buying, and I am sure that you understand my enthusiasm.

gringo, didnt mean anything by my comment. took a stab in the dark - when you were comparing to other new devs in the area, it seemed very similar to a conversation i had with an unnamed person that made very similar points. congrats on your place and, once again, being a cheerleader for your investment is a good thng.

Default Thought provoking

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Interesting. The it's all right over there but not here mentality.

If everyone thought that way, this city would be one mighty dull place 'cause no one would allow a restaurant in their building.
    Antinimby: You raise a really interesting point (I think your handle is great, BTW). I never really thought about what retail, if any, will be at the Avery. However, I too would not relish (no pun intended) the idea of a restaurant (high end or otherwise) in the building. I would be worried about vermin that would be attracted to it (remember the recent KFC video?). Perhaps just as bad would be a sports bar. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard Giants fan and enjoy watching other sports too, but I certainly would not want to live above a rowdy sports bar. I have to admit that it is very NIMBY of me, but that's how I feel.

Has anyone heard about what might be going into the Avery or Rushmore retail wise?

I think it would be terrific to have a great restaurant in my building. How much more convenient could it get? On the other hand I would prefer it not be a sports bar because I'd have no desire to frequent that. That's not NIMBY of me, just selfish, right?

Does this place have a pool?

Also, thought the amendment was going to be $100k, not $50k.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Antinimby: You raise a really interesting point (I think your handle is great, BTW). I never really thought about what retail, if any, will be at the Avery. However, I too would not relish (no pun intended) the idea of a restaurant (high end or otherwise) in the building. I would be worried about vermin that would be attracted to it (remember the recent KFC video?). Perhaps just as bad would be a sports bar. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard Giants fan and enjoy watching other sports too, but I certainly would not want to live above a rowdy sports bar. I have to admit that it is very NIMBY of me, but that's how I feel.
    Has anyone heard about what might be going into the Avery or Rushmore retail wise?
    At least you acknowledge that it is very NIMBY of you to feel that way. I understand your fear but let me provide you with some insight.

I live in a private house in Brooklyn without any retail establishments whatsoever.

There isn't a restaurant within, I'd say, a good 4 city blocks of where I live.

We still have mice and roaches in the building.

So you see, regardless of whether or not there is a restaurant or not, vermin will still seek out people and where they live. That's life.

If you live in the suburbs or the country, you'd still have to deal with other forms of vermins but vermins nonetheless (some are even deadly). There's no escaping nature.

With that said, the new highrises you'd be living is better protected against these sort of things because the floors and walls are made of thick concrete.

If you're a rat, imagine trying to get through a concrete wall.

They'd rather stick to the old creaky walkups thank you (like the KFC in the Village).

Btw, you said you liked my handle but do you know who this scumbag Sam Chang is?

By the way, this is a fellow over at ssp, who lives in Tucson AZ and this is what he has to contend with (not to mention scorpions, black widows, etc. and there's no restaurant there):

Default AntiNIMBY

AntiNIMBY:

You raise some really good points, and I am certainly willing to re-think my stance about a restaurant. However, despite the fact that I go to sports bars on occasion, I still would not want one in my building - the whole drunken fratboy thing.

As for your handle, I meant that I really like the name, "Antinimby." I did not pick up on the Sam Chang reference. I do not know who that is.

rssupreme: The Avery will not have a pool. Wow, a 100k purchase price increase would have been really cool. Not that I am complaining about a $50 grand increase, mind you. Where did you hear that? I did not learn of the increase until I got the amendment in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by rsupreme View Post
    Does this place have a pool?

Also, thought the amendment was going to be $100k, not $50k.
    I think the Avery does NOT have a pool, but the Rushmore does. That's ok though, pools are a little overrated and lead to higher common charges. I have one in my building now and I don't think I've used it once in 3 years even though I thought I would.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

My building has a restaurant in the base and I can tell you, it hasn't added much in the way of vermin. Combat has pretty much eliminated the roach problem in NYC. The Times did a story on this several years ago. I had periodic problems with mice until I had a hole behind my stove plugged up. I also bought a few of the ultrasonic devices that mice can't tolerate for good measure. If a home or restaurant is sanitary, you generally won't have much of a problem with vermin. I would see mice twice a year for a few days in the spring and fall, when they were moving to new locations due to temperature changes. BTW, odd fact, rats can chew through a concrete wall. Their teeth never stop growing so they have to chew away or their front teeth would drag on the ground. Who knew?

Default Restaurant

I think that I could live with a restaurant especially if it were a high end one and the entrance was not near the main entrance. I would not welcome a sports bar.

From what I can discern, retail spce has not been put up for sale/lease yet, so this is just conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    My building has a restaurant in the base and I can tell you, it hasn't added much in the way of vermin. Combat has pretty much eliminated the roach problem in NYC. The Times did a story on this several years ago. I had periodic problems with mice until I had a hole behind my stove plugged up. I also bought a few of the ultrasonic devices that mice can't tolerate for good measure. If a home or restaurant is sanitary, you generally won't have much of a problem with vermin. I would see mice twice a year for a few days in the spring and fall, when they were moving to new locations due to temperature changes. BTW, odd fact, rats can chew through a concrete wall. Their teeth never stop growing so they have to chew away or their front teeth would drag on the ground. Who knew?
    gross!!!

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast