Thread: Sylvan Terrace Rowhouse for Sale

Default Sylvan Terrace Rowhouse for Sale

I guess opportunities to buy here don't come up that often.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...HOW_index.html

1882 ROW HOUSE

$965,000
    MANHATTAN: 14 Sylvan Terrace (between St. Nicholas Avenue and Jumel Terrace), Washington Heights
    On a cobblestone street of matching row houses, a three-story house with three bedrooms, two baths, a double parlor, a family room and a terrace.
    TAXES: $2,380 a year
    PROS: This house is a wonderful blend of new and old. It has a renovated kitchen that opens onto a dining area and family room. Original details include pocket doors and three fireplaces.
    CONS: The house has no basement or backyard.

Banned Member

Wow! How did you scout that all the way from Australia?

Boardwalk Empire Shoots in Washington Heights (Sylvan Terrace)

Hey, are any of you guys watching Boardwalk Empire, the new HBO show set in Atlantic City during the Prohibition/1920s? So far it's kind of a snoozefest in my opinion: after all, how many times do we need to see an American mob story, and I'm not sure the leads have the charisma of say, Tony Soprano, much less Carmela (miss u). (Also: there were apparently no nonheterosexual ppl in Atlantic City back then lol?) But at least the sets and costumes are fun to watch.

The most exciting part of the most recent episode for me was when the character played by Steve Buscemi's mistress moves (or gets moved) to a new house on what is apparently 'whore row,' which I recognized as Sylvan Terrace, a cobblestone street about a half a block from where I live in Washington Heights. (The street leads to Jumel Terrace, site of the oldest freestanding mansion in New York City, which I wrote about last year for THE AWL.) Funnily enough, when I was walking down this street last year, a passerby told me that the street was actually notorious in the old days for housing brothels, which just goes to show how fiction can imitate reality or vice versa.

Here's a pic of Sylvan Terrace, with pigeons in place of actors. Let's hope Boardwalk Empire decides to shoot a lot more in Wahi, which will make for a more interesting show!

http://www.matthewgallaway.com/2010/...n-terrace.html

Good show. Not just a period piece dressed up as a period piece. But they also know since it's set that far back they have to make it a little edgier (sex & violence), plus, it starts at the dawn of prohibition & all the thrills that went along with that. I'm sure many neighborhoods in NY will be used for that show as long as it's getting the ratings. I agree Steve Buschemi isn't exactly a looker, but neither was Gandolfini. Will it succeed as well as Sopranos? Probably not, but it's an interesting addition to the HBO lineup. They'll be back to Wsh Hts, especially if the community was receptive to them being there, the producers will want to shoot in a place easy & familiar.

A Hidden Treasure In Washington Heights

(click images for larger version)

I have to admit that I've been here a bunch of times (it's not so far from my pad!), and it's always quite creepy. There are plenty of stories about the Jumel Mansion being haunted etc. It really is just strange. That C-town is par for the course, though.