Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 Park Avenue at East 37th Street - by Costas Kondylis

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
    Good post, bananaman. This will be my first apartment purchase so I'm trying to make a wise decision, but as you said it's very difficult to gauge future prices. I've also visited the site many times in the past couple of months and I like the way it's looking. The exterior of the building looks very elegant and well constructed. The quality of the finishes being used is excellent as well.

I'm looking at a unit on the 9th Floor which is facing Park Ave and is on the south side of the building. I like the floorplan, but I am not sure about what kind of view (if any) or how much sunlight this unit will get. Do you have any thoughts on this?
    My place is on the Park Ave side too. You will look across (wide) Park Ave at the Union League Club, which in my opinion is a fairly good looking building. It is a members club with about 60 hotel-style rooms. I don't know what the occupancy is like. You may have an upward view of the top of the Empire State Building. The easiest way to figure that out is to go up the ESB and look down. If you can see your condo, you will have an ESB view! As for sunlight, this side of the building sees late afternoon sun. I have found that sunlight in a condo is a two-edged sword. Warms you up in the winter, cooks you in the summer.

Thanks for the reply, bananaman. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be buying a unit in the building. This afternoon I spoke with Vicki, the sales manager, and we didn't agree on the terms. She had originally agreed to waive the mansion tax and developer's attorney's fees. She had also agreed to discount the price by 5% from full ask. I came to the city with my checkbook ready to sign the contract.

However, when I spoke with her today she denied that she ever agreed to absorb the attorney's fees and said she would only reduce the price by 2.5%. It just rubbed me the wrong way since she seems to be going back on her word.

Did you have any similar experiences with her? May I ask how much you paid and for what type of unit? If you don't want to post that publicly, perhaps we could discuss privately. I'm honestly very disappointed since we were so close to making a deal and it fell through.

For the transaction, I worked with a different salesperson (no longer there), and she was very good. No issues, in fact I would recommend her. I have had some contact with Vicki and found her busy, but responsive. Try again?

I've spoken with or met with Vicki at least a dozen times now, and I have been very serious with her about making a deal. It just seems like she's playing games and not being upfront with me. She has already raised the price on me after stating a lower price, and even denied that she agreed to absorb the attorney's fees. Maybe I'll try one last time. I really wanted to buy that unit.

Vicki also told me that every other unit in the building has sold for full ask price. I find this very hard to believe.

Would you mind sharing with me how much you paid and for which unit?

Thanks in advance.

Hi daedalus,

Sorry I just took off on my Triumph Bonneville for a week.

I believe Vicki when she says every other unit sold at full price. I certainly saw no room for maneuver in February. Prices were $1200-$1400/sq ft, depending on number of beds and floor. We looked at both one and two bedrooms. To get all the full prices, you can buy an offering document.

If your financing to buy is solid, then in my opinion the current turmoil in the jumbo loan market has increased your leverage. They may be concerned about problems closing all the units they have 'sold'.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the reply, bananaman. I'm a motorcyclist myself. The Bonneville is a beautiful bike. Where did you go on your trip?

I had a Yamaha YZF600r until last year when I unfortunately wrecked it. I was on my way home from a road trip to Montreal. The gear I had saved me, but I was wearing jeans which got shredded along with my knee. I'm still recovering, but I'll get another bike as soon as I can.

Anway, I've stopped communicating with Vicki for now. I left the ball in her court and told her I am ready to sign the contract if we can agree on the price. That was about two weeks ago and I haven't heard from her since.

You may be right that the events in the mortgage market will swing things in my favor. I even told Vicki that I would be paying cash, but that didn't help me much in the negotiations.

I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. In the meantime I'm still shopping around.

Not bad per say, but nothing special at all. The site could've been used so much better.

LeCom, what don't you like about it? I think it's very tastefully done and fits in nicely with the rest of the neighborhood.

The basics are very handsome.

But look at every other building in the photo above, from the tenement to the hulk on 34th: they all look solid, weighty.

45 looks flimsy.

I think the juliet balconies on a good portion of the windows make the building look a little too flat. But that's not to say that I don't think the building looks better than a lot of the stuff we've seen go up recently.

It almost looks like a giant X-mas gift.
    They should have just converted the old hotel.

Last edited by Derek2k3; August 22nd, 2007 at 11:39 PM.

The scaffolding has come down and it looks like the building will be complete soon. I think it's looking good. Any other opinions?

Ugly, boring, and non-descript. A facade that looks thin, tacky, and busy.
    Basically, this adds nothing.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Doubly painful considering how nice the Russell hotel that was razed for this boring thing, had been.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast