Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 328

Thread: 122 Greenwich Avenue - One Jackson Square - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

  1. #136

    Default

    Oh c'mon, he's so Euro-trashy... I bet you guys would get along rather well.

  2. #137
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Will these two ever reach the trash-talking level of Nene & Kim?

  3. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    west village
    Posts
    437

    Default

    hmm. rather ironic that london and tuscany battle as this building will most likely be filled up to it's rafters with our favorable exchange-rate friends the euro-trash!

  4. #139
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    Take the personal bickering to Private Messages.
    --------------------------------------------------------

    I agree with Meesalikeu on both points.

    The city would be an absolute bore if all we had we new buildings (especially considering that most of the new stuff is numbing crap.)

    The deli building is not offensive and it is providing service and products that have allowed it to remain a stable establishment for many years.

    The merits of what goes or stays in a neighborhood should not and cannot be limited to pretty cornice and limestone facades.

    I think Fabrizio had it right. A building like this can really be anything to anyone. Every building pretty much starts out on a plot with right angles (I know there are exceptions). You can dress it up or dress it down, but underneath you still have a box.

  5. #140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    ....The city would be an absolute bore if all we had we new buildings....
    I am the last person who wants all new buildings.

    That deli, however, is an eyesore. Ten years ago when the area was filled with crack addicts, it might have made sense for a non-descript building in that location. Now that the area has become quite nice, it does not belong.

  6. #141
    Forum Veteran Tectonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    That deli, however, is an eyesore. Ten years ago when the area was filled with crack addicts, it might have made sense for a non-descript building in that location. Now that the area has become quite nice, it does not belong.
    Easy for you to say since you don't own the small business that operates there.

  7. #142

    Default

    That business could relocate.

  8. #143
    Forum Veteran Tectonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,673

    Default

    Hmph. Perhaps.
    Last edited by Tectonic; December 6th, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Perhaps

  9. #144
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    LondonLawyer: What if somebody didn't like your building? Or the way you lived? Maybe they hate your couch or curtains or your shoes. And said that you should relocate just because they wanted it that way?

    I mean, there's lots of options for living accomodations in Manhattan.

    Would you say, "Oh, Okay ... See ya!"

  10. #145

    Default

    I think the anti-LL 'what if someone didn't like where you live' argument is played out. The building is somewhat unattractive, if not just run down and stripped of detail. Address that or move on. Bashing LL's opinions isn't an argument at all and doesn't show how the building in question IS a positive entity.

  11. #146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    LondonLawyer: What if somebody didn't like your building? Or the way you lived? Maybe they hate your couch or curtains or your shoes. And said that you should relocate just because they wanted it that way?

    I mean, there's lots of options for living accomodations in Manhattan.

    Would you say, "Oh, Okay ... See ya!"
    I'm not questioning anyone's lifestyle or the interior of anyone's apartment. Blighted exteriors, however, are fair game. If my house looked like a dump, I'd get constant complaints from the neighbors. In fact, one house in my neighborhood that was a dump was purchased by its next door neighbor and was torn down. I found that to be quite welcome.

  12. #147

    Default

    It would be great if the deli building were: torn down and replaced with something nice (and small) or given a simple make over ...which could mean stripping it down to it's surface, a color change, the right awnings etc. (see the small buildings on Madison I posted.)

    It's wonderful that the building has been saved: having a small building at the corner (refurbished, or a replacement) adds to the environment more so then if the developer had torn it down and built the condo out to the corner.

    Not all buildings have to be spectacular. The Village is filled with buildings that seen individualy aren't so great... it is the whole scene that counts. Not everything should be the Upper East side between 5th and Park.

    Even as it is: if a wiff of funkiness is allowed to remain in the Village... the world is better off. For Christ sakes let's tear down Village Cigars too.



    ---
    Last edited by Fabrizio; December 6th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.

  13. #148
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post

    ...show how the building in question IS a positive entity.
    The deli is a business. Selling useful items used by many NYers. Obviously it's successful or it wouldn't still be open. It's always full of folks getting a coffee or a danish.

    By being successful it adds to the tax base.

    Y'all know what would end up on that corner if a new building went in:

    A Bank.

    Oh, Yea !!

  14. #149
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post

    Address that or move on.
    Aye aye Officer.

    control freaks on parade.

  15. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The deli is a business. Selling useful items used by many NYers. Obviously it's successful or it wouldn't still be open. It's always full of folks getting a coffee or a danish.

    By being successful it adds to the tax base.

    Y'all know what would end up on that corner if a new building went in:

    A Bank.

    Oh, Yea !!
    These cheap delis in NY are generally disgusting. When I lived in Manhattan, I avoided them like the plague.

    One of my favorite delis is a beautiful Spanish one in NoHo. It's clean, sells extraordinary food and is unique. It's an asset to the neighborhood. By contrast, delis with those disgusting buffets are a menace.

    PS: Given the state of the banking industry at the moment, the chance of a bank signing a lease for expensive space to house ATM's is slim.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; December 7th, 2008 at 01:14 AM.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Year in Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: November 16th, 2013, 05:29 AM
  2. Toys R Us Times Square
    By noharmony in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
  3. W New York - Times Square Hotel
    By hyperfine in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
  4. Times Square 2002 Celebrations Part I
    By Edward in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 31st, 2001, 11:39 PM
  5. Pictures of luxurious W Hotel - Times Square
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 29th, 2001, 12:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software