Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 122 Greenwich Avenue - One Jackson Square - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    It would be great if the deli building were: torn down and replaced with something nice (and small) or given a simple make over ...which could mean stripping it down to it's surface, a color change, the right awnings etc. (see the small buildings on Madison I posted.)....Even as it is: if a wiff of funkiness is allowed to remain in the Village... the world is better off. For Christ sakes let's tear down Village Cigars too.

---
    I don't disagree with that. In fact, I wish that old buildings were restored. As I stated, however, that's unrealistic. 99.9% of the time, buildings that were stripped of their details and that fell into decay either remain that way or are razed.

These horrific pieces of garbage that were on Lex. might have been nice once, but, if so, their facades nonetheless were ruined. Needless to say, I was elated when they were razed last year.

PS: I think the Village Cigars is an interesting little building though the signs are horrible.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; December 7th, 2008 at 01:07 AM.

You prove my point: you find the Village Cigar signs horrible. They are a NY icon... featured in thousands of photos and always included in any film set in the Village. If those signs were to go, it would be front page news around the world. Considering the general lowering of taste, and the hordes of crass nouveau riche that have invaded NYC, it is kind of amazing that it even still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The deli is a business. Selling useful items used by many NYers. Obviously it's successful or it wouldn't still be open. It's always full of folks getting a coffee or a danish.

By being successful it adds to the tax base.

Y'all know what would end up on that corner if a new building went in:

A Bank.

Oh, Yea !!
    Is that really the way we should look at development? Not wanting a new possibly more attractive building because they will put a bank in there. Would they put banks in the MOMA tower? 56 Leonard? Would you still want them if they did?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Aye aye Officer.

control freaks on parade.
    Its happened on many threads, its boring when threads go off topic to complain about LL being a snob etc. You know you have directed threads back on topic before and I never insulted you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    You prove my point: you find the Village Cigar signs horrible. They are a NY icon... featured in thousands of photos and always included in any film set in the Village. If those signs were to go, it would be front page news around the world. Considering the general lowering of taste, and the hordes of crass nouveau riche that have invaded NYC, it is kind of amazing that it even still exists.

You're rather histrionic, but I respect your opinion. Those garish signs that say "Cigars and Cigarettes" are horrible in my view.

hmm. well, its not like we have a local cultural misunderstanding w/ ll on the iconic village cigar shop, there are tonnes of old shoppes with that kind of signage around london (minus the billboards), so he's quite familiar. it's just a matter of a difference of opinion and taste. *shrugs*

Are we speaking about the same signs? The vertical signs encasing the doorways -- with stickers on them and holes in the bottom -- are disgusting, as are all of the cigarette stickers in the windows. The Spanish deli that I mentioned has no such crap.

Village Cigars is unintentionally artfully shabby... it is rather perfect.

It is a much loved landmark... eccentric... quirky... an unchanging link to the Village's bohemian past.

----

Last edited by Fabrizio; December 8th, 2008 at 07:04 AM.

here's an update from today.
    it's coming along well & we're starting to get some glass facade.

looking north from across jackson square

not really enough to compare it to the renderings yet, but we got glass

Looks like the glass will give this something of a prismatic face rather than a gently curving facade.

Post 122 Greenwich Avenue

I was under the impression (perhaps from previous renderings) that the windows on this building were to be smooth 'undulating' glass. Then, I spotted this previous article: so faceted it will be - still a nice looking architectural design on this building.

Excerpt - 'Multi-faceted facades planned for 122 Greenwich Avenue 28-FEB-06'. Hines Interests presented its plans for a new residential condominium project, every floor of which will have different, multi-faceted, clear-glass facades, at 122 Greenwich Avenue fronting on Jackson Square to the land-use and aesthetics committee of Community Board 2 last night.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...43&postcount=1

Didnt we learn from Astor Place.

V If you are referring to that 'curvy' building at Astor Place: that is a smooth undulating glass facade.

The windows of the building on Greenwich Avenue - from what I gather here - will be 'faceted' : a very different looking facade from the Astor Place building.

I am looking for some more detailed renderings or schematics, but have not come across any this point.

This is another thread I 'subscribe' to; so I will post any additional news that I find on this project.

Astor place doesnt look at all smooth to me.

Quote - "Astor place doesnt look smooth to me "

True, relatively speaking. Now imaging all the windows at the Astor Pl building being installed, in plan view, like this: VVVVVVVVVVVV. Like a series series of bi-fold doors, this is what seems to be the plan for the window panes here on Greenwich Avenue.

I am still looking for renderings/detail drawings. The windows on this facade will look very different than the Astor Place building; which is 'smooth' compared to the 'faceted' windows. Seeing the difference may have to wait till the facade is completed.
    Last edited by infoshare; January 25th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast