Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: 122 Greenwich Avenue - One Jackson Square - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

What a waste. Such an interesting space positioned across from the park and they open up a bank branch?

Love this rowhouse.

The park is really beautiful now too.

Ironic that they turned the former banks into non-banking spaces,..

The grand old bank at center, kitty corner across 14th + Eighth, has been empty for a long stretch of time. CVS Pharmacy at one point planned to move in there, but not sure what's up now.

I swore this was Newark for a second. Flying flags from the buildings just like the good old days.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It could also be London.

Fluffy stools (Mongolian lamb)?

Glassy Condo for $18.95 Million

By JOSH BARBANEL

Behind the undulating glass wall of One Jackson Square, a new 11-story condo in the West Village, an empty duplex penthouse has lingered on the market for 2½ years, with a sticker price of $21.75 million.

Designing a Vast Penthouse

View Slideshow

Now that most of the building has been sold, the developers have focused on marketing the penthouse. They cut the price by $2.8 million.

And they have commissioned a prominent young interior designer, Brad Ford, to convert the 5,695 square feet of echoing bare white walls and glass into a finished apartment.
    The vast apartment includes a loft-like, 55-foot-wide open living room lined with a curved wall of glass and a 1,690-square-foot terrace with a pool and outdoor kitchen.

"With the glass walls, people, really needed help conceptualizing how to live in the space," said James Lansill, a senior managing director at Corcoran Sunshine.

A furnished model apartment is nothing new in real estate, but it was Mr. Ford's first such commission from a developer. He took it as a challenge of "warming up" what—despite the curves and unusual architecture—he said was "still a white box, so to speak."

The results were rooms with natural touches, from vintage furniture upholstered in natural linen to wool and silk rugs and rough-hewn wood. There are also tubular kitchen bar stools with seat covers made from very long-haired Mongolian lamb.

The open living room is dominated by a 6-by-7-foot table fashioned from a natural-edged slab of redwood sliced in half and joined together on a walnut base.

The table, by Mira Nakashima—the daughter of George Nakashima, the well-known Japanese-American craftsman—was borrowed from a dealer, and is listed for sale in a catalog of furnishings for $200,000.

"It was a beautiful centerpiece to instantly bring some earthiness to this industrial type architecture," Mr. Ford said.

The craft-like details, including an ottoman upholstered in zebra skin, were mixed with modern furniture to keep the edginess of the downtown neighborhood, he said.

Furniture and artwork in the condo were borrowed, and most are listed for sale, with total price tags topping $1.5 million.

Natalie Keyssar for the Wall Street Journal
    A lighting fixture hangs from the top floor.

David S. Penick, vice president of development for Hines Interest, the lead developer on the project, said Mr. Ford was chosen because his nature aesthetic complemented the building's certifiably green footprint.

The soft curves of the outer walls, constructed of a skin of aluminum and irregularly sized glass panels, were echoed in thick wavy panels of pungent bamboo plywood in the lobby, he said.

So far, Mr. Penick said 27 of 33 apartments in the building, near Eighth Avenue and West 13th Street, have been sold. One of the remaining five units was a small studio that hasn't yet been put on the market. Hines put up the building in partnership with RFR Realty.

The penthouse was originally designed as two separate apartments, but they were combined as the demand for very large apartments soared during the boom years, Mr. Penick said.

Many units that closed in the last year sold for between 6% and 10% below the asking prices. The new list price on the penthouse brings the asking price down to $18.95 million, a cut of 12.9%.

Mr. Ford said the lavish furniture and artwork were brought in, to attract the type of buyer who might want to buy a penthouse—a "person who would have an interest in high-end furniture, antiques, and blue-chip art."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...276551980.html

It happens in waves here at home too. Back in the 90's I remember Citibank closing a great deal of their branches as people started using ATMs in droves.

I still can't figure out why now though banks are opening more branches especially considering how bad the economy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Fluffy stools (Mongolian lamb)?
    Nothing EEK about it - seems tastefully done to me anyway!

The designer was apparently using elements such as organic form/earth tone colors/soft & fluffy furnishings as an attempt to counteract the hard edged/industrial looking/white interiors spaces; a yin/yang visual blending - I like what was done with the interior design.

I wonder if that is just intended as staging or if they intend to include the furnishings along with the purchase price. Most likely a little of both - yin/yang, I guess. (LOL)

It's not so easy to sell services through ATMs. If they want to expand their business, the banks still need boots on the ground, and that means branches.

I use Chase, and I have to say the plethora of branches IS very convenient. Also, I've gone in to deposit a check, and actually got buttonholed into getting a credit card (see above.)

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post
    It happens in waves here at home too. Back in the 90's I remember Citibank closing a great deal of their branches as people started using ATMs in droves.

I still can't figure out why now though banks are opening more branches especially considering how bad the economy is.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    Nothing EEK about it - seems tastefully done to me anyway!
    They look trendy and the design is quite interesting, and I didn't say anything about it being tasteless, but I was referring more to their practicality. They don't look particularly easy to sit on.

or to keep clean

Two drinks and the guests are on the floor.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quirky furnishings just comes across as someone who's trying too hard to be hip.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122