Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 122 Greenwich Avenue - One Jackson Square - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

Quote Originally Posted by modlv View Post

A rumour has circulated in the area that HINES DEVELOPMENT (erecting One Jackson Square) has now bought out the North Village Deli building on the southwest corner of 8th & 14th. They also bought the adjoining property - the small building immediately to the west of the deli housing a liquore store and a smaller deli. Both properties have long been controlled by one family (I believe the NV deli owners) who have stubbornly turned down every lucrative offer put on the table in the past. Until now.
    According to a search of city records at NYC Department of Finance the corner property at 74 - 76 Eighth Avenue / 254 - 256 W. 14th [Block/Lot: 618/5] no recent sale of that property is shown. That lot is and has been for many years owned by Chun Woo Lee / Chun Woo Realty Corp. However recording of such paperwork showing a sale can lag for a number of days / weeks. The property measures 80' along W. 14th + 46' along Eighth for a total of ~ 3680 sq).

The two buildings just to the east of that site and north of Jackson Square at 250 - 252 West 14th [Block / Lot: 618/7 & 618/8] were sold / recorded on 7.26.07 to "250 W. 14 LLC", the deed signed for the buyer by one Joseph Mendler. Records indicate an amount of $10,625,000. This is an irregular lot measuring 46' along W 14th, then 101' towards the Jackson Square property line, then across and back to W 14th for a total of ~ 3860 sf.

How is construction progressing?

Quote Originally Posted by modlv View Post
    A rumour has circulated in the area that HINES DEVELOPMENT (erecting One Jackson Square) has now bought out the North Village Deli building on the southwest corner of 8th & 14th. They also bought the adjoining property - the small building immediately to the west of the deli housing a liquore store and a smaller deli....
    I assume that there was no truth to this. Can anyone state otherwise? (I hope so, as I hate that deli building almost as much as I hated the Bunny Deli on Lex.)

Exclamation MOD Alert

Should this thread be re-titled to inlcude the name of the development:

1 Jackson Square

btw: They are now above the ground here. This week they're pouring the columns for the first floor.

So are those crappy deli buildings on 14th Street still there?

If they weren't don't you think there'd at least be a picture or two here?

Not necessarily. There hasn't been any news about this project.

That's because unitil this week all that was happening here was the digging of a hole and lining it with concrete.

And it's not been -- in terms of other holes around NYC -- a very interesting hole digging at that.

In the next few weeks it will get some attention as it rises above Jackson Square.

DOF shows no activity on the nasty corner properties.

hey i must have missed this thread.

i live across the street from this one.

yes indeed the building is going up like gangbusters. lots of activity. in fact there was constant activity, but mostly out of view as the foundation took quite awhile. it's true finally construction has risen above the ground by a couple floors.

also no, far as i know and have heard, the low corner buildings including the deli have not been sold to the developer (hey that's my deli, it's not that crappy ). however, i will ask around and check.

hang on -- i'll get some pics up asap.

Pics would be great.

MODS: Thanks for the Title revision

Quote Originally Posted by meesalikeu View Post
    .... that's my deli, it's not that crappy....
    The deli might not be that crappy, but the building it's in sure is. If the owners were too greedy to sell, I hope that it gets damaged during construction and that demolition ensues.

"Too greedy to sell ..."

How do you know the owner there was even offered a fair price? Or any offer at all?

It's assume that the developer of 1 JS had adequate money to buy up as many of the nearby lots as he wanted. That would mean endless asource of financing.

Following that: Why didn't he buy up the whole damned block?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    "Too greedy to sell ..."

How do you know the owner there was even offered a fair price? ....
    Because, to paraphrase Ann Frank, "I believe that [Hines] [is] really good at heart" since it is committed to building great projects in NY.

Okay ^ but what is there that indicates he tried to buy more than he got?

1 JS backs up to a bunch of other properties on W 14th Street. Were the owners there also "too greedy to sell"?

Rather, perhaps Hines now has little interest in building a luxury project that fronts onto a ratty section of 14th Street.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast