Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 122 Greenwich Avenue - One Jackson Square - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

alright guys. i went out there this afternoon with the camera (easy enough i have no excuse not too )

no work going today so i was able to poke around w/o being bothered. i would say they are up to the second floor.

this is from 8th ave and w14th st

this is 8th ave and greenwich

the site is pretty well boarded up from view now,
    but i found a place to peek inside

btw you can't tell from looking in here at the ground floor, but from earlier on i recall that the basement is approx two floors deep, so the foundation and all that was quite a big job and took awhile.

here are the 'sold' buildings in question over on w14th st next to/west of the deli.
    you might recognize the rather iconic old liquor sign from that corner.

as for the sale itself -- i walked in and asked one of the guys working in the liquor store (he knows me) and at the convenience store, but they didn't know anything about the sale or wouldn't say. i asked at the deli (they know me too) and they said said yeah they heard the next door buildings were sold, but didn't know any more about it. so that's the neighborhood hearsay....needless to say i'll keep asking around.

london lawyer -- i do not think the deli building is all that crappy. at least not all that standout crappy. sure it's utilitarian and plain, but hardly an eyesore. i have been around long enough to remember playing pool upstairs in the old days, so i admit i am somewhat fond of it. regardless, you needed worry for much longer, i am sure it will get sold off too if the neighboring old apt buildings to the west on w14th st are to go down. and that is too bad because even tho it isnt "all that" still it's the only decent classic full deli in the area.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink As I sit in my rocking chair -

That was a bad corner back in the day.

yeah. still is, except now its just our local stumble bums.

that and this annoying and somewhat dangerous construction site.

Quote Originally Posted by meesalikeu View Post
    ....this is from 8th ave and w14th st

here are the 'sold' buildings in question over on w14th st next to/west of the deli.

london lawyer -- i do not think the deli building is all that crappy. at least not all that standout crappy. sure it's utilitarian and plain, but hardly an eyesore....
    The buildings housing the liquor store are nice. They simply need to be cleaned and to get a better tenant (maybe a Village branch of Morrell's wine). The buildings housing the deli are lame.

Anyway, thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Okay ^ but what is there that indicates he tried to buy more than he got?

1 JS backs up to a bunch of other properties on W 14th Street. Were the owners there also "too greedy to sell"?

Rather, perhaps Hines now has little interest in building a luxury project that fronts onto a ratty section of 14th Street.
    I was being facetious.

well i wish those two buildings were fixed up too instead of potentially being torn down.

however as for wine shops, the nabe still needs an inexpensive wine store like this one too. we already have the chi chi wine shops very nearby....manleys and the chelsea market wine shop.

i'll keep an ear open for any news.

btw there is some kind of new apt building going up just across w14th st from these two. two dumpy not so old buildings were torn down. now it's a pit right between the associated grocery and the honey lounge. thankfully they do seem to be working steadily on it. anyone happen to know anything about that project?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Are you talking about this one? That is 245 W 14.

Permits indicate the replacement will be 8 stories, 21 units.

Question

Are there plans for retail on the bottom of this?

I would think so, and that they will aim for it to be very high end -- similar to the shops going in on W 13 across Eighth.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Are you talking about this one? That is 245 W 14.

Permits indicate the replacement will be 8 stories, 21 units.
    yes that's it. thank you.

8 stories, eh?

if anyone thinks of it and can find one i would like to see a rendering. they are working hard on the foundation pit.

^^
    I think Andre Balaz has something to do with this site if I'm not mistaken.
    BTW
    That corner deli needs to go.. It should have been a part of Jackson Sq. Prime corner for at least 15 to 20 stories with curved undulating windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ItstheBeat View Post
    ^^
    I think Andre Balaz has something to do with this site if I'm not mistaken.
    BTW
    That corner deli needs to go..
    I think you're correct about Balaz. I know that he's building something on that stretch of 14th Street.

I totally agree with you re: the deli.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meesalikeu View Post

however as for wine shops, the nabe still needs an inexpensive wine store like this one too. we already have the chi chi wine shops very nearby....manleys and the chelsea market wine shop.
    ?? It's only two blocks to Crossroads, one of the best wine stores in NYC, and they will sell you something great whatever your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post
    ?? It's only two blocks to Crossroads, one of the best wine stores in NYC, and they will sell you something great whatever your budget.
    crossroads is two avenues away not two blocks. so more like 6 blocks. not unreasonably far, yet still out of the neighborhood.

and as for the deli i have to just laugh. obviously the owner didn't want to sell. maybe he blew it, but good for us. well, at least for the moment that is (i was just in there tonight).

I don't think it's good for the neighborhood since it leaves a disgusting building in a prime location. It would have been great for the neighborhood in the stunning new building were extended to 14th Street.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast