Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 20 East 53rd St - Mixed-use

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Guys -

The winners in an economic downturn will be the newish class A buildings in the best location. It's not fair to compare something standing in Times Sq. with a similar building on Madison, especially 15/20 years ago.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I don't agree. Many office buildings in recent years are quite nice (e.g., B of A, NYT, Hearst, Bear Stearns, Reuters, E&Y, Conde Naste, etc.). In fact, 505 5th is quite nice given the limitations imposed by a small foot print.
    If you don't mind, please elaborate how exactly any of the above Times Square buildings (or 505 Fifth) can be as far away from this one on an architectural scale (i.e., "quite nice" vs. "POS") as you say. The way I see it, you've got a personal vendetta against Macklowe, for whatever reason, and it's clouding your judgment.

A lot of space can come onto the market in the next few years, and if there's an economic downturn, there could be a glut in which case, renters won't seek space in a POS like 510 Madison. Macklowe's reskin at 430 Madison is a POS and has been an utter failure in a red hot market.
    I agree with the other forumers on this. There's no way this building doesn't do well.

510 won't be crappy. I think it'll be a nice boutique building, with lots of amenities. Very modern industrialist looking. Pretty cool.

And, if the GM building is any indication of Macklowe's quality, then I'd be happy to seen a new project from him. The renovated lobby is gorgeous.

The GM building was vandalized by Macklowe.
    The light green glass, with it's rectangular configuration, clashes completely with the tower's vertical marble facade. It looks really cheap and tacky, downright shameful. The Apple cube/plaza is the only good part of the changes that were made.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The GM building was vandalized by Macklowe.
    The light green glass, with it's rectangular configuration, clashes completely with the tower's vertical marble facade. It looks really cheap and tacky, downright shameful. The Apple cube/plaza is the only good part of the changes that were made.
    I agree with you. I cannot stand Macklowe. He is cheap and interested only in his own profits. I guarantee that he will build a cheap project on the Drake's site. In addition to being cheap, he has no taste. What he did to the GM building was insane.

The changes made to the GM building base are outrageous. Like the style of the building or not, it was designed by a noted architect and it's of VERY high quality... quality appropriate for 5th.

They stripped away all of that marble to create that banality? The base looks like any other cheap banal office bulding. First we had to put up with the tacky brass TRUMP signs, and now this.

There was a time when such a crime would have been reported in the NYTimes. I guess no one here remembers Ada Louise Huxtable... or even Goldberger when he was starting out. The silence over this stuff telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    There was a time when such a crime would have been reported in the NYTimes. I guess no one here remembers Ada Louise Huxtable... or even Goldberger when he was starting out. The silence over this stuff telling.
    Ouroussoff doesn't begin to fill their shoes.

Forum Veteran

What a POS. Macklowe should be banned from development.

Default suddenly it's 1978

And consider that renderings are just about always more attractive than the reality...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And consider that renderings are just about always more attractive than the reality...
    Nothing can be worse than this cheap box. Therefore, I don't see how the reality can be worse than the rendering. There's nothing promising about it and therefore, nothing to be disappointed about when it's built (other than the fact that it was, in fact, built). I really shudder to think about what Macklowe has planned for The Drake site. He must be related to Robert Moses.

Architectural Padawan

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
    What until you see the monstrosity that this creep builds on The Drake's site. I speculate that it will be every bit as ugly and mundane but 650 to 800feet tall, thereby making it visible from Central Park.

How far along is this tower?

This is what happens when you hire SLCE to design an office tower.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast