Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 124

Thread: 20 East 53rd St - Mixed-use

  1. #91
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default Guys -

    The winners in an economic downturn will be the newish class A buildings in the best location. It's not fair to compare something standing in Times Sq. with a similar building on Madison, especially 15/20 years ago.

  2. #92
    The Dude Abides
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NYC - Financial District
    Posts
    4,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    I don't agree. Many office buildings in recent years are quite nice (e.g., B of A, NYT, Hearst, Bear Stearns, Reuters, E&Y, Conde Naste, etc.). In fact, 505 5th is quite nice given the limitations imposed by a small foot print.
    If you don't mind, please elaborate how exactly any of the above Times Square buildings (or 505 Fifth) can be as far away from this one on an architectural scale (i.e., "quite nice" vs. "POS") as you say. The way I see it, you've got a personal vendetta against Macklowe, for whatever reason, and it's clouding your judgment.

    A lot of space can come onto the market in the next few years, and if there's an economic downturn, there could be a glut in which case, renters won't seek space in a POS like 510 Madison. Macklowe's reskin at 430 Madison is a POS and has been an utter failure in a red hot market.
    I agree with the other forumers on this. There's no way this building doesn't do well.

  3. #93

    Default

    510 won't be crappy. I think it'll be a nice boutique building, with lots of amenities. Very modern industrialist looking. Pretty cool.

    And, if the GM building is any indication of Macklowe's quality, then I'd be happy to seen a new project from him. The renovated lobby is gorgeous.

  4. #94
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    The GM building was vandalized by Macklowe.
    The light green glass, with it's rectangular configuration, clashes completely with the tower's vertical marble facade. It looks really cheap and tacky, downright shameful. The Apple cube/plaza is the only good part of the changes that were made.

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The GM building was vandalized by Macklowe.
    The light green glass, with it's rectangular configuration, clashes completely with the tower's vertical marble facade. It looks really cheap and tacky, downright shameful. The Apple cube/plaza is the only good part of the changes that were made.
    I agree with you. I cannot stand Macklowe. He is cheap and interested only in his own profits. I guarantee that he will build a cheap project on the Drake's site. In addition to being cheap, he has no taste. What he did to the GM building was insane.

  6. #96

    Default

    The changes made to the GM building base are outrageous. Like the style of the building or not, it was designed by a noted architect and it's of VERY high quality... quality appropriate for 5th.

    They stripped away all of that marble to create that banality? The base looks like any other cheap banal office bulding. First we had to put up with the tacky brass TRUMP signs, and now this.

    There was a time when such a crime would have been reported in the NYTimes. I guess no one here remembers Ada Louise Huxtable... or even Goldberger when he was starting out. The silence over this stuff telling.

  7. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    There was a time when such a crime would have been reported in the NYTimes. I guess no one here remembers Ada Louise Huxtable... or even Goldberger when he was starting out. The silence over this stuff telling.
    Ouroussoff doesn't begin to fill their shoes.

  8. #98
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Battery Park City
    Posts
    1,199

    Default


  9. #99

    Default

    What a POS. Macklowe should be banned from development.

  10. #100

    Default suddenly it's 1978

    And consider that renderings are just about always more attractive than the reality...

  11. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And consider that renderings are just about always more attractive than the reality...
    Nothing can be worse than this cheap box. Therefore, I don't see how the reality can be worse than the rendering. There's nothing promising about it and therefore, nothing to be disappointed about when it's built (other than the fact that it was, in fact, built). I really shudder to think about what Macklowe has planned for The Drake site. He must be related to Robert Moses.

  12. #102
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little

  13. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little
    What until you see the monstrosity that this creep builds on The Drake's site. I speculate that it will be every bit as ugly and mundane but 650 to 800feet tall, thereby making it visible from Central Park.

  14. #104

    Default

    How far along is this tower?

  15. #105

    Default

    This is what happens when you hire SLCE to design an office tower.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. East River Plaza Mall
    By DominicanoNYC in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: December 13th, 2014, 08:35 AM
  2. Station Renovation - East New York
    By Gulcrapek in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
  3. East Coast Greenway
    By ZippyTheChimp in forum New York City Guide For New Yorkers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 9th, 2003, 09:37 AM
  4. East River - large file
    By ZippyTheChimp in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 31st, 2003, 04:50 AM
  5. 420 East 61st Street - Any info?
    By MikeV in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 29th, 2002, 08:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software