Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Ornamentation

Angry

oh dear God! NO!
    People- click on those links! Be prepared.

Now that I've seen those pictures you linked to, I remember that frieze perfectly. It was magnificent! Why would they do this?!
    The firm you linked to shows a portfolio of how it was...I don't understand...why they removed all that detail when the windows were already practically floor to ceiling?
    There are no medallions forthcoming, in my pictures you can see the area where the frieze used to be has been replaced all the way to the edge of where the glass begins!
    Please tell me this is not what's happening. I really feel like throwing up.

Londonlawyer will be happy to know that the owner of the Lefcourt Colonial Building is the Moinian Group.

Odd that, according to that 2008 article, the Moinian "restoration" plan includes:
    ... The improvement program also includes a complete restoration of the artdeco era ornate cast iron facade, power washing of the exterior limestone surfaces and 2,000 new tilt and turn windows throughout.

Ownership has also commissioned Gensler Architecture to design a high-end glass retail storefront system along Madison Avenue and 180 feet along 41st Street. "Because we have a large retail exposure on 41st Street, our storefronts will be comparable to the best that the Grand Central area has to offer," adds Kashani.

The improvement program is already underway with scheduled completion the first quarter of 2009.

How could Lefcourt Colonial not have been landmarked?!? A travesty.

I have been stewing over this all night. I have got to get this out. I just stopped an episode of Lost in midstream because I couldn't focus on it, my mind continually turning back to this crime. I can't even say on this forum what I wish would happen to the people responsible.

commissioned Gensler Architecture to design a high-end glass retail storefront system
    It's incredible; how is what Gensler put there more high end than the ornately detailed treasure they hacked off? There was ALREADY a high end glass storefront! They destroyed it.
    I almost feel like showing up at the Gensler office tomorrow but I can't because I would leave in handcuffs. Honestly. I can't recall the last time I was this furious about a building.
    They evidently restored some of the cast iron on the upper floors, but decided to destroy the unbelievably rich sculptural frieze that gave the ground floor its astounding distinction. And for what? Six more inches of glass?

our storefronts will be comparable to the best that the Grand Central area has to offer,
    They already were, you idiots!...they surpassed pretty much everything in the area!

Monster! No conscience!
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 29th, 2009 at 03:25 AM.

The improvement program also includes a complete restoration of the artdeco era ornate cast iron facade...
    Is this maybe just a temporary abomination while the cast iron is stripped and dipped and repainted and damaged segments and pieces recast? *he asks hopefully*

Another thought is that maybe they'll trim off the architrave portion below the cove and rehang the sculptural frieze. The transom lite of the new storefront glass could allude to the eliminated architrave. *he hopefully adds*

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Why do people do this? Its absolutely retarded. Why would you take something and make it worse than it was before.

I dug up a couple of Lefcourt photos...though the lighting is pretty bad in the first one you can see cast iron detailing further up from the ground floor that might be what has been "restored". I'm fairly hopeless about the magnificent dark colored detailing at ground level. Probably trashed.

What a treasure. How could it not be protected? With something like this it's a no brainer.

We are a degenerate, disgusting modern people and we deserve nothing else. If only a handful of people, like ourselves, bat even the slightest eyelash for a literal crime against art, beauty, and the history of American architecture like this in favor of the bland, insipid, uninspired, catch-all, globalist and international, we deserve this.

Is there even any hope in being outspoken against horrors like this?

Or should we just give up and let it all burn?

F...ing crime. I'm sorry for my language, but this is BS. I'd like to kick the building's owner and the "architect" in the nads. This is infuriating.

I've always loved the top of this building, but didn't realise how ornate the rest of it is (thanks for the great photos, MTG). Marvelous cast iron detailing, and that Starbucks store is (was) beautiful.

I, too, am astonished that this art deco gem (and 275 Madison Avenue -- thankfully not owned by Moinian) is not landmarked .

Edit: Just found this -- where it all began :

DEAL WORTH WAITING FOR

AFTER 20 YEARS OF TRYING, MOINIAN SCORES 295 MADISON

June 20, 2007

JOSEPH Moinian has signed a contract to buy the towering 295 Madison Ave. for around $180 million.

The 300,000-foot Art Deco building on the southeast corner of East 41st Street is being sold by the family of the late Sarah Korein.

Sources attending the Real Estate Board of New York luncheon last week at the Sheraton told us that Moinian tried to buy the 46-story building 20 years ago directly from Korein but didn't succeed until now.

Brian Ezratty of Eastern Consolidated was the exclusive sales agent. He ducked our inquiries about this quiet, off-market transaction.
    Moinian, one of the most prolific city buyers, also didn't return calls.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06202007...lois_weiss.htm
    Last edited by Merry; May 30th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avngingandbright View Post
    Is there even any hope in being outspoken against horrors like this?

Or should we just give up and let it all burn?
    Comments like that should be sent to the following people.

Here is the link to send a message to LPC chairman Tierney:
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maillpc.html

Mayor Bloomberg:
    http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...l%2Fmayor.html

^If the remainder of the base's ornamentation is spared (or even cleaned) and the building is converted to Class A office space, then as stupid and unnecessary as the removal of the cast iron 1st floor windows and the lobby are, it is not a total disaster.

Still, this is one of the tallest art-deco1920s buildings in NYC. Should have landmarked decades ago.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast