Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village and West Village

Default Village and West Village

All change chez Luca's plans.

Will be staying in the Village so: your favorite cafes/ breakfast places / restaurants / posh bars / mad bars / sights & sounds in this area (and Soho too if ya got the writing bug).

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    All change chez Luca's plans.

Will be staying in the Village so: your favorite cafes/ breakfast places / restaurants / posh bars / mad bars / sights & sounds in this area (and Soho too if ya got the writing bug).
    Two older photo essays from WNY that are worth visiting and revisiting:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5083

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5113

Forum Veteran

Surya is one of my favorite Indian restarants - it's on Bleecker @ 7th ave. This has to be one of the best documented parts of the city, so I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding info.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    All change chez Luca's plans...Will be staying in the Village
    At a friend's or at one of the few hotels? West, middle or East? Character of the Village changes a lot from river to river.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    Surya is one of my favorite Indian restarants - it's on Bleecker @ 7th ave. This has to be one of the best documented parts of the city, so I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding info.
    Sure. lots of info. just better to get it straight from the local experts.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    At a friend's or at one of the few hotels? West, middle or East? Character of the Village changes a lot from river to river.
    Hotel, on Waverly place (IIRC). All y aquaintances in NY 9and they are not more than aquaintances) live out of town. I do enough commuting ehre in London , on holiday I like to be in the thick of it.

So, what's your favorite bar and breakfast place in the Village ?

Sounds like you'll be staying at the Washington Square Hotel.

If so, that's a pretty good choice. Correctly described as "European style," right down to the implausibly narrow corridors. The staff is courteous if you approach them likewise.

If staying here it's essential to get a renovated "Deluxe" room; there's all the difference in the world between these spiffy digs and the worn, depressing rooms they call "Superior."

Right down in the hotel's basement is an OK place for breakfast at a good price in surroundings inspired by (get this!) Gustav Klimt; get on the good side of the Mexicans down there and they'll keep refilling your orange juice.

The owners are obviously enthusiasts. They have commissioned little tile mosaics all over the place, and they like movie stars enough to put them on the walls; Audrey Hepburn's big eyes will follow you into the bathroom.

Location couldn't be better. Hope construction in Washington Square is not a bother.

Renovation construction in Washington Square has been put off a bit: http://www.nyunews.com/vnews/display.../4412221f346aa

If you want to splurge then definitely go to Babbo (practically across the street): http://www.babbonyc.com/restaurant.html
    Babbo is located at 110 Waverly Place,
    at the northwest corner of Washington Square Park
    in New York's Greenwich Village.

Dinner: Piccolo Angolo. On the corner of Jane and Hudson... unbelievable italian food...

Breakfast: La Bonboniere. On West 12th and 8th Ave. It's a cheap diner but has the best breakfast in NYC. (And best burgers). Celebrities regularly sighted here.

Another (northern) Italian possibility: Maurizio's on 13th between 5th and 6th. North side of street.

keep the suggestions coming gents! I do appreciate it!

In general:

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in the Village.

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in New York.

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in the U.S.A.

Sin of all sorts is in decline generally.

Is that a global phenomenon or unique to this country?

How is it in London?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    In general:

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in the Village.

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in New York.

Bar scene ain't what it used to be in the U.S.A.

Sin of all sorts is in decline generally.

Is that a global phenomenon or unique to this country?

How is it in London?
    I guees it depends who you ask. Personally I think the bar scene here is as good as it has ever been. But then I know people who think the NYC scene is also excellent and I'm sure looking forward to it... What makes you say it's on the wane? Places like Bungalow 8, etc. seem to be making a splash. Ultimately, if the drinks are good and the music bearable, you make your party wherever you go, ne c'est pas? I was in Miami alst February and the bars were pretty awesome. Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

Lots of fun bars in london. Lots. Plus people are getting into things like kareoke and bowling but done, youy know, in a cool way.

Are you more of a cocktail, beer or a champagne person?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast