Thread: West Harlem - info

Default West Harlem - info

I am considering buying a condo near Morningside Park @116th Street. We love the apartment and the neighbourhood feels like it is in the midst of change. I have a couple of concerns 1) How safe is the nighbour hood? and 2)has anyone a thoughts on the longterm outlook for prices in Harlem. With all the talk of the bubble bursting I am somewhat concerned that Harlem will be affected more then the rest of the city if real estate takes a dive.....Any insights or thoughts on Harlem in general would be greatly appreciated.

My personal opinion only. First, I think Harlem is very safe, especially the area you're talking about. You can check actual statistics on the web at the New York Times real estate section, and maybe on the city's site as well. I have a friend who lives in the neighborhood, and I've gone to and from at all hours of day and night - no problem. You might want to avoid actually going through Morningside Park late at night, but that's just general caution, not because I think there's a particular problem.

But you know, you have to feel safe, and statistics don't always affect how you feel. Spend some time in the area and get to know it a little, I think you'll grow comfortable.

Second, I think Harlem's fundamentals are very good - better than Williamsburg and some other hot neighborhoods. The building stock is amazing, transportation links downtown are great, Morningside Park and Columbia are right there - I personally think you're as insulated from a downturn in Harlem as any of the neighborhoods where you've seen tremendous appreciation recently.