Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Republican Presidential Candidate Straw Poll

Banned Member

Default 2008 Republican Presidential Candidate Straw Poll

So, who is the early favorite for the 2008 Republican Candidate?

Cheney?
    Jeb?
    Condi?
    Giuliani?
    McCain?
    Frist?
    Pataki?
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; March 22nd, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Banned Member

Is Rudy on campaign trail?
    Giuliani plans swing through Iowa to stump for GOP candidates as some wonder if trip is part of '08 presidential bid

BY GLENN THRUSH
    Newsday Washington Bureau
    March 22, 2006, 8:38 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- Rudy Giuliani is dropping into Iowa for a GOP fundraiser May 1 -- just two weeks after his pal and potential 2008 presidential rival Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) makes a similar pilgrimage to the crucial caucus state.

It's Giuliani's first major political appearance in months: His relative inactivity had led to speculation that he's leaning against making a presidential bid despite polls showing him atop the 2008 Republican heap.

The former New York City mayor, who stumped for the Bush-Cheney ticket in Iowa two years ago, hasn't ruled out a run for the White House.

"I don't think it is mere coincidence that the mayor and Sen. McCain will almost be crossing paths in Iowa," said GOP consultant Nelson Warfield, who was former Sen. Robert Dole's spokesman during the 1996 presidential campaign.

"Who knows if Rudy is really running, but it certainly behooves him to have people thinking he will, and this is the kind of trip that accomplishes that."

Iowa, home to the first-in-the-nation January caucuses, has already been visited by a handful of presidential hopefuls, including Gov. George Pataki, who's made no fewer than five trips there in two years.

Giuliani will keynote a dinner for House Budget Committee chairman Jim Nussle, who is running for governor. He's also planning a fundraiser for the Iowa state party and a motivational speech in Des Moines.

When asked whether the Iowa trip has anything to do with a possible White House bid, Giuliani spokeswoman Sunny Mindel said, "The conclusion that should be drawn is that he supports Jim Nussle. ... As Rudy has said, right now he is focused on helping Republicans get elected in the midterm elections."

McCain, who is developing a nationwide grassroots network for a likely run, will be keynoting a $100-per-plate Nussle lunch on April 13 in Cedar Rapids and will attend events in Dubuque and Des Moines.

Recently, McCain's allies have poor-mouthed Giuliani's chances, saying the pro-abortion-rights, pro-gay-rights, pro-gun-control ex-mayor would be trounced by the more conservative McCain.

Nussle's campaign is drawing attention from party leaders, including President George W. Bush, who will headline an April 11 fund-raising dinner.

Without reading into it too much I think McCain would get my vote at this point. Guliani has decent chances IMO, I don't think he'd make a great president but perhaps a good one. His divorced status will cost him a lot, but he is an icon and if his policies (which are unknown right now on the national level) come through he should have a shot.

All the others have no chance and hopefully won't run.

Cheney, lmao.

Divorce didn't hurt Reagan: http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/l...naldreagan.htm

Granted that was a different era and Reagan had the film studio's PR machine behind him to keep the dirty details quiet. Plus Reagan's divorce took place before he entered the political arena -- unlike Giuliani who was front and center during his divorce.

Also Reagan had Nancy, whose lazer-like focus did as much as anything to propel him into the Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Divorce didn't hurt Reagan: http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/l...naldreagan.htm

Granted that was a different era and Reagan had the film studio's PR machine behind him to keep the dirty details quiet. Plus Reagan's divorce took place before he entered the political arena -- unlike Giuliani who was front and center during his divorce.

Also Reagan had Nancy, whose lazer-like focus did as much as anything to propel him into the Presidency.
    Regan also ran against a very unpopular president and was conservative socially making him acceptable to the "middle america", as they say. Giuliani is as liberal socially as they come. He also was in favor of gun control. I am sure his opponents and/or interest groups will use the statements he made on this subject in their attack ads. That's unfortunate, but his positiion on that issue will cost him in the south.

it really depends who he'd be going against, I mean it's all in the primary anyway, in the national Guliani would get many votes from Dems, especially in NY, it's all in the elector's hands anyway, and NY is worth many points. Guliani is the guy who can really win it for the Republican party, I just don't know if we'd want him.

In a primary I still say I wouldn't vote for the guy, I love him, but I don't like his position on some things.

Besides who said he's even in the running? Last I checked Guliani partners was just taking more and more underwriting contracts on Wall st.

I don't know, it's really hard to say at this point, probably the top nominees will be people we haven't even thought of.

I just hope Reps run against Hillary, because she's definately not getting elected.

Unfortunately for the US, almost anyone who aspires to the presidency and crosses the necessary hurdles to even get close to the Oval Office these days turns out to be completely self-centered / narcissistic -- and reaching for some sort of personal Gold Star rather than going after the job for the good of the Nation.

It leaves us with the old lesser of many evils ...

Basically I'llvote for the one who will do the LEAST damage.

Banned Member

Will it come down to a sparring between Giuliani and McCain or do they team up to become a freaky right of center, right of right, might makes right political dog & pony show?

Banned Member

Thumbs down

Allen avoids 'the' question
    Allen tackles issues in Culpeper
    Date published: 3/22/2006

By EDIE GROSS

Normally seated behind the dais, Culpeper County Supervisor Sue Hansohn joined more than 100 people last night in the audience of the county board's meeting room for one of U.S. Sen. George Allen's town hall-style gatherings.

After allowing Allen some time to lay out his priorities in Washington, Hansohn shouted out the question undoubtedly on the minds of many in the room.

"Are you running for president in 2008?" she asked, eliciting applause from the crowd.

Allen, at ease in a faux-suede jacket and black cowboy boots--purchased that very day at Boot'Vil in Ruckersville, Va.--flashed a conciliatory smile before answering her.

"No comment," he said, grinning.

Allen, whose first term in the U.S. Senate is up this year, is among a half dozen or so Republicans considered presidential contenders in 2008.

And even though he won't say it aloud, his actions are the hallmark of a national candidate, appearing at Republican fundraising events in Iowa last weekend and at New Hampshire's annual GOP meeting this coming weekend.

In Culpeper yesterday, the former Virginia governor emphasized that he was there to hear from constituents.

And they obliged, passing on concerns on everything from the war in Iraq to roadside mowing.

Gardiner Mulford, a longtime Republican and Culpeper real estate broker, told Allen he was frustrated with Republicans in Washington.

"There's really no excuse why we haven't gotten the line item veto, a better immigration policy. We've controlled the White House, the Senate and Congress for six years now, and we're still not getting those things accomplished," said Mulford, who also said he didn't support the war in Iraq.

"I hope they [Republicans] can soon self-correct," he said.

Allen, who earlier stated that he supported giving the president line-item veto power and securing the country's borders, said he, too, would like lawmakers to accomplish more.

"I can understand people's frustrations," he said after the meeting. "I didn't go to the Senate to sit and wait for consensus and talk endlessly about things. I went to take action. And there's insufficient action in the Senate."

Tully Satre, 16, urged Allen to support a federal hate crimes bill that protects people on the basis of their sexual orientation in addition to race, religion and gender.

"I've had several letters in the past few weeks, threatening my family and my life because I'm an openly gay Virginian," he said.

Allen said he didn't support protecting sexual orientation as a civil right. He said he knew of several instances where anti-gay protestors were arrested for quoting Scripture at gay pride parades and charged with hate crimes under state laws.

"I just cannot in good conscience be on the side of passing a law that would limit people's first amendment rights, particularly religious expression," he said.

One of the most moving appeals came from Joanne Carroll, a Culpeper resident with high blood pressure and no health insurance.

Formerly a Wal-Mart cashier, Carroll told Allen her failing health forced her to stop working last year. She was covered under her husband's health insurance--at a cost of $549 a month--until he lost his job as a cabinet-maker in February, she said.

Now she pays for medication and doctor's visits out of pocket.

"I'm not lazy. I worked in this country for many years," said the native of Romania. "My husband worked for many years. We're not bad citizens.

"I have a house," she continued, her voice breaking. "I don't want to lose my house. Go to the Congress and talk with the other senators about this problem."

Allen promised that his office's social services contacts would help Carroll in the short-term, and he suggested that "health savings accounts" could help others in her situation.

Citizens would essentially put away pre-tax dollars to use for some medical treatments, and insurance would cover the rest, he said. Unlike current arrangements, citizens would "own" their insurance policies rather than get them through their employers. That way, if they changed jobs or became unemployed, they'd still be covered, he said.

Doug Mayhugh, a dairy farmer, milked 113 cows before arriving at the meeting to ask Allen to keep the USDA's Farm Service Agency open in Culpeper.

There's been talk of closing the office and consolidating it with one in Warrenton, but farmers in Culpeper need it to stay put, Mayhugh said.

"We want to keep this agricultural community strong here," he said.

Allen, who has supported keeping that office open in the past, said he'd put in a good word in Washington.

"Count on me to try to help again," he said.

Allen also touched on some of his own priorities, like keeping Internet access tax-free, finding alternate sources of energy and passing a constitutional amendment that forces the federal government to balance its budget.

He said he enjoyed hearing the stories of his constituents.

"The fun and adventure of a town hall meeting is you have no idea what will happen," he said. "It's just great for me to get out of Washington and back to common sense."

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    So, who is the early favorite for the 2008 Republican Candidate?

Cheney?
    Jeb?
    Condi?
    Giuliani?
    McCain?
    Frist?
    Pataki?
    Folks are ready for a change. At this point the Democrats could probably win with Donald Duck heading their ticket.

Unless the Republicans run Giuliani or McCain. Or preferably both.

Then the big question becomes: Whom will the Democrats put up?

How about Giuliani or McCain? Or preferably both.

Time for those two guys to bolt their party.

That Frist thinks he even has a chance shows what an insular world he's living in.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Folks are ready for a change. At this point the Democrats could probably win with Donald Duck heading their ticket.

hahaha, r u kidding me? Folks "were ready for a change" in 04 and hmmm...I guess Donald Duck should've ran, lol. Dems had what like 8 capable guys in for the nomination and you come out with KERRY? I hope this year you can come up with someone equally weak. If Clark or Dean had run IMO it would've been a different story.

I think if McCain or Guliani, are nominated (perhaps both if they run together) Dems don't stand a chance. Remember Reps won't vote Dem no matter what but a moderate Rep will get a lot of Dem votes. When it comes to national elections you just have to forget that whole minority votes thing (yes, very racist of me) and remember that the largest voting groups are the Christians (perhaps even just Protestants) the rich, the senior citizens, and the NRA.

McCain and Giuliani have no chance of getting nominated, even if they are the two most electable candidates. Out of those two, McCain is more electable, and Giuliani also has the issue of corruption to deal with (Bernard Kerik, anyone?) The GOP will nominate some "Good ol' boy" doofus like George Allen, and in two years, you and other Republicans will be telling us how he's a good "Christian man" and how we should vote for the racist cowboy-wannabe. On the Democrat side, the idea of Hillary running is mostly hype at this point, fueled by the New York Post and NewsMax will for sake of mobalizing the Republicans so they turn out and vote in 2006. The best Democratic candidates at this point are probably retired General Wesley Clark, and former Virginia Governor Mark Warner. Out of those two, I like Warner the best. Ideologically-speaking, Sen. Russ Feingold would be popular with the Democratic base, but I don't think that he's electable, even if he would make a good President.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    hahaha, r u kidding me? Folks "were ready for a change" in 04 and hmmm...I guess Donald Duck should've ran, lol. Dems had what like 8 capable guys in for the nomination and you come out with KERRY? I hope this year you can come up with someone equally weak. If Clark or Dean had run IMO it would've been a different story.

I think if McCain or Guliani, are nominated (perhaps both if they run together) Dems don't stand a chance. Remember Reps won't vote Dem no matter what but a moderate Rep will get a lot of Dem votes. When it comes to national elections you just have to forget that whole minority votes thing (yes, very racist of me) and remember that the largest voting groups are the Christians (perhaps even just Protestants) the rich, the senior citizens, and the NRA.
    Last edited by TomAuch; March 25th, 2006 at 07:17 PM.

^ Problem with Warner is he's not very smart.

Two dumb presidents in a row: we'll never recover from that.

Maybe you're thinking of George Allen when it comes to dumb Virginians. Warner managed to turn around a record buget deficit in his state (which was created by the previous Republican Governors, Jim Gilmore, and George Allen himself, who was Governor from 1994-1998) and managed to push a tax increase package through the Republican-dominated state legislature with a support a a large number of moderate Republicans. And guess what? The package helped balance the budget, and Virginia's economy is doing pretty well. Warner's Virginia is now one of the best managed states in the country. He's also been forceful in pushing for rural boardband interent acess, which will help ease the digital divide and help keep jobs in the areas.
    I'd like to see 2008 shape up as Warner vs. Allen, because Allen would try his "I'm a good ol' boy that you want to have a beer with and I can throw a football!" routine and Warner will be able to stare him down by using his record of balancing budgets against Allen's Reganesque record of facilitating deficits as Governor, and voting with the radical right as a Senator. Of course, one of UVA's worst quarterbacks in the school's history will get a pass by the pundits and described as "telegenic," while Warner will be described as "wonky" like Al Gore in 2000.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast