Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 301 Forty Sixth - 301 West 46th Street at 8th Avenue - by Fegan / Berg / Architects

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I'm glad they are using these lesser-known design firms rather than the usual and horrible New York stables like Costas Klondylis, SLCE and H. Thomas O'Hara. Let's move away from the deadly trio and give the fresh faces a chance.

Hey, I've seen plenty of small firms produce crap on the level of Klondylis.

Although no one can come close to that certain....how should I say it....cheapness....that Costas can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    According to the description from the website, the ground floor will be exclusively for restaurant purposes only:

A forty-six story residential tower with retail spaces on the ground floor and public parking facilities in the cellar and subcellars. The building will be home to approximately 250 luxury condominiums with sizes ranging from 660 sf one bedrooms, 1,300 sf two-bedrooms, to 5,000 sf penthouses. The lower residential floors will incorporate a health club of approximately 5,400 sf with an adjoining terrace lounge. An additional 20,000 sf of commercial space will be located on the first and second floors. The proposed tower takes advantage of the 360 degree panoramic views of the Times Square district, the Hudson River and Central Park in the distance with 10 foot floor to ceiling heights and expansive glass openings. In addition, there is an annex townhouse building on the site that complements the historic Restaurant Row. The building contains 3,060 sf of restaurant space on the ground floor, 2800 sf of preparation area in the cellar and a catering hall of approximately 1,800 sf on the second floor. The remaining floors will contain condominium apartments.
    It is somewhat unclear by from the way it reads, I think they are talking about the Annex building for the restaurant and additional 20,000 SF for commercial in the main building.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    PLEASE -- Don't let that street level commercial space ^^^ be a Duane Reade !!!!
    Duane Reade is known for its thrift when searching for retail space. Rest easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    "The minute you walk through the arched doorway, you realize that dining at Romano's Macaroni Grill will be a unique and enjoyable authentic Italian experience. Our passionate chefs prepare more than 35 Italian specialties in exhibition kitchens while guests relax in a casual atmosphere surrounded by attentive servers and an occasional strolling opera singer. Guests find it hard to choose from generous portions of delicious pastas, veal, seafood, steaks, roasted chicken, pizza baked in wood-burning ovens, soups, and hard-to-resist desserts."

I could cry.
    To most Americans outside of the Northeast, Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden is authentic "eye-talian" food.

Have patience, my friend. The way things are going that one will come down before too long.

But, given the size of the new spaces being built, we might end up with one of THESE
    That will definitely come down, but I hope that it's sooner rather than later. The red and yellow NY Tour Lines building next to it makes me particularly naseous. I assume that someone is trying to assemble the site.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    To most Americans outside of the Northeast, Macaroni Grill and Olive Garden is authentic "eye-talian" food.
    The only thing worse is the tourists from the rest of the country that come to New York and go to Olive Garden for a meal.

I mean come on! Olive Garden--in NYC.

^ What? You don't like a little pasta with your CHEESE?

What about foreign tourists? Olive Garden is quite novel to them.

I always find myself eating at Pizza Express (a ubiquitous chain) in London...(it's surprisingly good..)

Like most of the US outside of the Northeast, London has horrible Italian food.

I wonder what the facade will be composed of. Does anyone know if it will be glazed brick (I hope note), concrete (I hope not), granite or limestone (I truly doubt it) or aluminum (the best choice among cheap materials in my opinion)?

It appears to be metallic and glass.

Like most of the US outside of the Northeast, London has horrible Italian food.
    Oh right. I meant for the UK. What's the deal with fusion pizzas there anyway?

In any case the Indian food is better on that side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Oh right. I meant for the UK. What's the deal with fusion pizzas there anyway?

In any case the Indian food is better on that side of the pond.
    I don't think that Indian food is better in London than it is in NY by any stretch of the imagination.

It appears to be metallic and glass.
    I agree. It appears to be some sort of aluminum. I hope that it's not concrete or white brick.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast