Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 301 Forty Sixth - 301 West 46th Street at 8th Avenue - by Fegan / Berg / Architects

Quote Originally Posted by vc10
    Not just because of the exchange rate. London is intrinsically expensive even for those who live there and are paid well. For instance, it's not unusual for (shock, horror) managing directors in London I-banks to *iron their own shirts*. Seriously, landering a shirt in London costs $4 or more -- not in a hotel, just anywhere.
    Tax here is unbelievable, more than double ny's sales tax. 17.5%.

Another example is the subway a single ride is $5 dollars. Also compared with a monthly metrocard $76 i used to pay $160 a month just to get into glasgow a city of 1.25million

Sales tax in the UK is expensive, but all other taxes are a lot less. I used to pay 38% income tax to the UK government, whereas in NYC, when one adds state and city tax to federal tax, the income tax burden is greater. Also, as far as the suburbs go, property taxes in NY suburbs are 10 times greater than council taxes for properties in the UK.

Also, property in NY is more expensive than London and WAY more expensive than anything in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Food in NY is dramatically better than in London. Nevertheless, London has some of the best restaurants in the world and is probably second only to NY in terms of the variety of cuisine one can find.
    No way - Paris has many more good restaurants than London. No comparison, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice
    No way - Paris has many more good restaurants than London. No comparison, IMHO.
    The claim Londonlaywer was making concerned variety of food. In that regard, I can well imagine that London is far ahead of Paris.

The claim Londonlaywer was making concerned variety of food. In that regard, I can well imagine that London is far ahead of Paris.
    Exactly. Paris has great Middle Eastern food, but the variety of ethnice cuisines is not nearly as good as NY or London apart from that.

i can't believe someone argued that So Cal has better cuisine than London and used In-and-Out burger as an example. oh well, i don't suppose So Cal will ever be noted for its class or discernment!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnypd
    i can't believe someone argued that So Cal has better cuisine than London and used In-and-Out burger as an example. oh well, i don't suppose So Cal will ever be noted for its class or discernment!
    I guess you'll never be noted for your reading comprehension. Let's go to the tape, shall we:

I'd put LA (or SoCal in general) in front of London in terms of variety of food.
    The claim is about variety of food, not "better cuisine" (whatever that is). And for what it's worth, I think SoCal blows away London on the food price/performance meter.

when all is said and done: In-n-Out does make a very tasty burger (+ fries, too) ...

I guess you'll never be noted for your reading comprehension. Let's go to the tape, shall we:

The claim is about variety of food, not "better cuisine" (whatever that is). And for what it's worth, I think SoCal blows away London on the food price/performance meter.
    God, that's almost worse. You're claiming So Cal has better variety of food and using a mediocre burger and fries outlet as an example? that is bizzare!

Having lived in London and SoCal i'd have to say there is absolutely no comparison when you are comparing top-range food, London wins hands-down. If one ate at the best restaurants in Laguna Beach you'd think Californian cuisine was bland and stuck in the 80s. And not capable of serving nice salads. what's with the salads in CA???

SoCal certainly offers better value though i will agree with that, especially at the lower level (even if most places seem to chains or franchises). and has much more choice of Latin cuisines and some East-Asian cuisines (not chinese though, strangely). I'll be back in LA on the 24th and i'm looking forward to having Pupusas for lunch regularly, something that is impossible in the UK. But if i have a craving for really good food with ingredients that are not pumped full of preservatives and hormones, i'd be better off in London.

anyway, sorry to intrude on your little london bitchfest, but isn't this thread about 301 Forty Sixth???

... sorry to intrude on your little london bitchfest, but isn't this thread about 301 Forty Sixth???
    yeah, but when there's no news we tend to go off on tangents ...

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Also, property in NY is more expensive than London and WAY more expensive than anything in the UK.
    And anywhere else in the world for that matter.
    Are you british londonlawyer ive always wondered?

Gee, that's exactly what I said above. You're slow, but you do get there in the end.

SoCal certainly offers better value though i will agree with that, especially at the lower level (even if most places seem to chains or franchises). and has much more choice of Latin cuisines and some East-Asian cuisines (not chinese though, strangely). I'll be back in LA on the 24th and i'm looking forward to having Pupusas for lunch regularly, something that is impossible in the UK.

Also,try having a good drinking session in NY,now that is expensive,bars/pubs in central London charge half the price of NY establishments!!

Brits drink like fish.

Quote Originally Posted by GINGER
    Also,try having a good drinking session in NY,now that is expensive,bars/pubs in central London charge half the price of NY establishments!!

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    And anywhere else in the world for that matter.
    Are you british londonlawyer ive always wondered?
    I'm a New Yorker who lived and worked in London for 2 years. I go there several times each year and love it.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast