Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

Good thought, Stern, but best would be his recovery.

Is there any hope of that?

Forum Veteran

Thanks for the photos Stern - he obviously knew how to enjoy life, and I echo all the compliments - he really was one of the best.

I feel for his family - with his mother passing away in the fall they must really be in a horrible place. If anyone has any idea at all for helping them I'm in (drawing a blank at the moment).

It's so soon, but JB loved this city so much that a public memorial only seems fitting. A bench, a mural, I don't know. This is just heartbreaking.

Forum Veteran

From JB's friend on Livejournal:

JB was in Harlem on a way to see his friend Patrick. He was going to see him before going to dinner to see our friend Abby, and I was to join them for drinks. On his way, JB was noticed by either a person or a few people, and was going to get mugged. JB tried to run, and ran east of 125th street. While passing underneath the underpass, a car came and hit him. The car couldn't avoid him, and JB couldn't see traffic from the right.

Just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Good thought, Stern, but best would be his recovery.

Is there any hope of that?
    No there is no hope of that. A friend of JB has confirmed that he has infact passed away. He is no longer with us. He has told me that his organs were harvested, so that even in his death JB was selfless.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    It's so soon, but JB loved this city so much that a public memorial only seems fitting. A bench, a mural, I don't know. This is just heartbreaking.
    Thats an excellent idea, Im not going to let him just pass and be forgotten. He was hit at 125th and Park, why not put a mural on the wall that used to hold ads for Harlem Park. Ironically Harlem Park at 125th and Park was a development JB supported and actively followed...

I would like to hear some more feedback...

Default To a lost friend

SWIFT has sailed into his rest;
    Savage indignation there
    Cannot lacerate his breast.
    Imitate him if you dare,
    World-besotted traveller; he
    Served human liberty.

By William Butle Yeats

My last interaction with him from the day the accident. This is so very upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    If you ask me, the average Miami apartment tower is vastly more interesting than the average New York one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    I'll second that. At least they don't used exposed floor slabs in the facade as architectural details.

Unhappy

/Me gets the heebie jeebies.

I am sad about him and the loss we all are experiencing. I am also livid about the guys that caused this to happen.

This is senseless.

And the impotence to do anything about it is equally frustrating as the sense of loss of a valued community member.

To all his family members and friends, my feelings are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    This is really sad.

My heartfelt wishes go out to JB / TLOZ and his family.

I hope they know what great value he's brought to the wired new york community -- and how much he's missed.
    A couple of years ago, someone in another online forum that I frequent noticed a several days’ absence of postings by one of the forum’s most brilliant, prolific and generous members and learned of his death (in a bicycle accident) in an online obituary in his hometown newspaper. That discovery prompted dozens of postings about our memories of this man and his contributions to the discussions and messages to and from his wife and children, who, as it turned out, knew nothing about his participation in the forum. By the time that some members thought it might be appropriate to assemble his writings and present them to his family, many had been archived off the forum beyond recovery because of software limitations.

If someone here knows TLOZ's family and friends and believes that they would appreciate having a collection of his postings here, putting together a CD with them should be easy enough.

I am shocked and saddened by this loss.

Here is an eloquent post by TLOZ Link5 from this thread:

New York has had many golden ages. They just take different forms and affect different aspects of the City.

From the 1890s to the 1920s New York came into its own by founding great institutions of culture, digging the first subways, and erecting the first skyscrapers. The Great Depression and World War II formed the era of "classic" New York, architecturally speaking (Art Deco) and culturally speaking (Broadway plays like 42nd Street, etc). This era might have ended with the 1939 World's Fair or with World War II.

From 1945 to 1964 was a period of great prosperity, the time when the City bore witness to the era that could be, taken at face value, be unanimously classified as a true "golden age." Suburbanization, rising crime, and the assassination of JFK hastened the end of this golden age, whose true end might have been the 1964 World's Fair.

The mid-to-late '60s, in addition to the early '70s, was a time when the arts and counterculture were both in full swing. This was the era of Fiddler on the Roof, the beginnings of Greenwich Village as we know it today, and a high-water mark for fashion and the arts, rivalling and possibly surpassing Paris itself.

Despite the apocalyptic aura of the City in the '70s, arts and nightlife boomed; this was Andy Warhol's finest hour; the years when Talking Heads, the New York Dolls and the Ramones lit up CBGBs; when the parties at Studio 54 lasted till noon the next day. Socially and financially, the City was dying fast in the disco years, but it evoked Rome in the last days as hedonists consumed themselves in one last reckless orgy without fear — or knowledge — of the consequences.

The '80s were when the City began to come back from the edge, slowly but surely. Breakdancing, the Mets winning the World Series, the beginnings of revival in many Lower Manhattan neighborhoods. New York University was shedding its image as a backwater commuter school (N-Y-Jew was the popular moniker of the time) to a presitigious university to rival the Ivies. The population decline had stopped, businesses moved back in, and real estate boomed. Battery Park City, a new neighborhood, rose out of the Hudson. It seemed that the City was going to make it. After the crash of the stock market, it all seemed to unravel — into another golden age.

The late '80s and early '90s were The Bonfire of the Vanities come to life. The City was falling apart yet again, yet signs of tentative rebirth were seen as residential real estate continued to boom and the arts and cultural scenes became the patrons of sophisticated City dwellers as opposed to tourists. It was a wild, historic era; a true tale of two cities who shared the same land, a fascinating study.

The mid- to late '90s saw a decline in crime, a real reinvestment in many downtrodden neighborhoods, a new image for a City once written off as a decimated relic of a bygone era. People across the nation and around the world truly wanted to move here. However bourgeoisie-oriented this new golden age was, the City maintained its position as the beacon of civilization — and unofficial capital of the world — that it was always meant to hold.

This golden age came to a crashing halt after 9/11, which spawned a new golden age. There was a sense of people coming together to comfort one another, to share in their experiences and losses. Many New Yorkers began to truly appreciate and love where they lived and feel a deep pride for a City they took for granted. (I was one of them.) That era lasted a few months, but we all remember it poignantly.

This new golden age continues to heal the City's social problems, while racial tensions that were prominent in Giuliani's mayoralty are also easing. But this golden age seeks the resurgence of all of the City's neighborhoods and boroughs, from the Bronx to Brooklyn and from Staten Island to Hollis. It's no longer simply about Manhattan anymore; "New York" now regularly brings to mind Brooklyn and Queens as well. It is this New York that embodies the urban success story in this country, as Americans began to believe in many of their cities once more.

Banned Member

Wow! This is both shocking and incredibly sad. What a terrible loss for us and, of course, his loved ones. If there is anyone here who knew him well? I would be very interested in contributing to any memorial fund.

I am just so overcome with sadness for him. His mom just succumbed to cancer recently. I'll throw the first $100 toward any fund we can create to honor his memory. I think a tree in a park or perhaps a sponsored bench in Hudson River Park.

I had some PMs with him during the release of the movie Rent and while he was mourning his mom's passing. I know he was a supporter of a non-profit called Friends In Deed in SOHO.

www.FriendsInDeed.org

They do great work with people facing life threatening illnesses.

I'm rather surprised by how strong my reaction is to this news. Again, another clear indication of the true communiity we have here at WNY.

I hate to be questioning this again, but it is absolutely certain that there is no chance of recovery? My God. He was (is) a good soul.

Banned Member

I contacted Hudson River Park. They do not have a program to plant commermorative trees.

Anyone know the area where he was hit? Are their parks or perhaps some green-street type ares we could beautify with plantngs and a plaque?

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Thats an excellent idea, Im not going to let him just pass and be forgotten. He was hit at 125th and Park, why not put a mural on the wall that used to hold ads for Harlem Park. Ironically Harlem Park at 125th and Park was a development JB supported and actively followed...

I'm in if we can get permission for a mural.

FYI from NY Post:

AUTO HITS MAN AS HE FLEES THUGS

By SARAH GARLAND & TATIANA DELIGIANNAKIS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 3, 2006 -- An NYU student was clinging to life yesterday after a gang of robbers chased him into a Harlem street where he was hit by a car, shaken relatives said.

John Broderick "J.B." Hehman, 20, was in critical condition in Harlem Hospital's intensive-care unit with a fractured skull and a broken leg. Doctors were also monitoring Hehman for possible brain damage, relatives said.

His sister, Marisa, said he was on his way to meet a friend at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the horrifying events unfolded.

She said he was being chased down the street by several would-be robbers.

Cops said Hehman, who lives in Manhattan, was struck at Park Avenue and East 125th Street by a Mercedes going east on 125th.

The driver stayed at the scene of the accident and is not expected to face charges.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a man who works near the scene. "I couldn't believe it was a person."

Marisa Hehman said her brother is an urban-affairs student at NYU. "We're very distraught, very worried," she said. "This is our worst nightmare."

Their mother died of cancer six months ago, she added.

Additional reporting by Larry Celona
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 5th, 2006 at 06:08 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Well, if it is confirmed that he is no longer with us, then it is truly, truly, very sad.
    But we should now look past his awful passing and rejoice in knowing that he is now in a much better, happier place.
    Joining to be, once again with his beloved mother. It was only yesterday, when someone brought that up did I realize the pain and sorrow you must have been through when you lost your cherished mother only just recently and how it seemed from your posts that you had seeked emotional support from this forum. TLOZ, you will be missed tremendously here and no doubt by all your family and friends.

I'll always remember him for his clever, yet always well-informed and certainly entertaining posts but most of all for his tireless defense of New York, a city that is a little bit worse off today than the day before you left.

TLOZ, I have the utmost confidence that the city that you loved so much will have the brightest of future ahead with you looking out for it from above. Farewell and best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Does anyone have any idea what NYU is doing? Maybe people here can join in whatever they may have planned. As for this site, I think there should be a day devoted to his memory by locking out all new posts for just one day so everyone can reflect and be aware of his significant contributions to this forum.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast