Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Hi Taz-

Glad you are checking in. JB will always be a part of the family here and always fondly remembered. This could be a sad and lonely time for everyone who cared about him. If you want to talk, PM me.

Rob
    I remember the day well and it was like family day. I still get a kick out of Maggie walkin around supervisin, calling us "Sugar" and "Puddin". Next time I'm up in those parts, I will take a picture and this summer I AM throwing a barbeque in Maggies Garden! Stay Tuned.

I think the best way of remembering TLOZLink5, is through his posts to this forum.
    This example of part of one of his posts shows how sensitive and forward thinking he was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted 30th December 2005

By. TLOZ Link5

I'm of Irish descent on my mother's side, and it really appals me that many Irish-Americans actually support the IRA. I feel as if many of them really don't have much of an idea as to the history of the Troubles, the intricacies of the peace process and everything that led up to it, and the very fact that most people just want peace. The minorities that the IRA and Ian Paisley claim as followers are very far and in between.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sure he would be very happy at the way things have gone in Northern Ireland, since his passing.

Love, Light and Peace.

J. B. Hehman Rest in Peace.
    Last edited by brianac; April 6th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Default Vehicle Kills Student as He Flees Attackers.

This is unbelievable. And so sad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Vehicle Kills Student, 24, as He Flees 2 Attackers

By RAY RIVERA and JASON GRANT
    Published: April 6, 2008

A Columbia University graduate student was hit and killed by a vehicle Friday night in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan while trying to escape an assault, the authorities said Saturday.

The student, Minghui Yu, 24, was on the median on Broadway between 122nd and 123rd Streets about 9 p.m. when a small group of young men drew near and one attacked him, the police said. Mr. Yu struggled and broke free and ran across one southbound lane before being struck by a Jeep Cherokee in the southbound lanes. Mr. Yu was taken to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead, the police said.

A law-enforcement official said Saturday night that a juvenile was in custody and was being questioned in the attack but had not been charged.

Detectives were trying to enhance video images taken from security cameras in the area to get a better description of the group, who the police said might be teenagers. At least one recording shows Mr. Yu struggling with the attacker.

The driver of the Cherokee and his wife, who was in the passenger seat, stopped at the scene and told the police that the victim had “darted out” and that they had not seen him. The driver was not charged.

Mr. Yu had been visiting his girlfriend’s apartment at 123rd and Broadway before he was attacked, the police said. His backpack, wallet and cellphone and cash were found with his body, the police said.

Lee C. Bollinger, the president of Columbia University, sent an e-mail message to students and faculty on Saturday informing them of Mr. Yu’s death.

“As a community we mourn the loss of one our members, and especially of a young person with much to look forward to in a life of promise,” Mr. Bollinger wrote.

Mr. Yu, a native of China, was a Ph.D. candidate in statistics and a teaching fellow in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. He was also the public relations chairman for the Columbia University Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

Zheyuan Chen, 21, a Ph.D. student in chemistry, said he knew Mr. Yu from their days together at the University of Science and Technology of China, where they received their undergraduate degrees. Mr. Chen said Mr. Yu studied physics there and was part of a program for gifted scholars.

“It’s hard to accept this fact, my best friend is gone,” Mr. Chen said.

Mr. Chen said Mr. Yu was well liked among Columbia’s Chinese students. “He was kind of like a leader,” Mr. Chen said.

Outside Mr. Yu’s apartment building on 121st Street, friends from the Chinese student association milled about. The friends placed bouquets of white flowers and lit two candles in front of large photo of Mr. Yu.

Among those who gathered at building was Chao Sun, who said she had been dating Mr. Yu for about eight months. “He’s a really nice guy, and he’s worried about others,” said Ms. Sun. “I can’t imagine he would do anything to harm other people.”

Jian Zhang, the president of the Chinese student association, said he had spoken with the Chinese consul general’s office and was told that Mr. Yu’s parents had been contacted in China and would be coming to New York in the next few days.

Some students in the area expressed concerns about the safety of the neighborhood. In April 2006, Broderick J. Hehman, a New York University student, was killed at 125th Street and Park Avenue when he was hit by a Mercedes-Benz while trying to flee a group of attackers. At least four teenagers were arrested in connection with his death.

“This area is very dangerous,” said Hyun Kim, a Columbia graduate student who lives a few blocks from Mr. Yu. Ms. Kim, a native of Korea, said she and her husband and 5-year-old daughter try not to go out at night out of fear for their safety.

“It could happen to anyone living in this area,” she said, referring to what happened to Mr. Yu.

Christine Hauser contributed reporting.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times.

R.I.P. Broderick.

You are not forgotten.

Over six years have passed since this sad day.

RIP JB

Oh, God. I still miss JB every day, and yet somehow, I missed the date. I feel so bad now...even though JB would likely have just shaken his head at my persistent trouble with dates. *smiles sadly*

lofter, I'm so glad you posted. It still helps so much to know there are people out there who still miss him.

Yes, we do.

He was a good guy.

It is hardest when bumping an old thread and his responses are so close.

You feel he is still there.

A sharp reminder of how transient life is.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGirl View Post
    Oh, God. I still miss JB every day, and yet somehow, I missed the date. I feel so bad now...even though JB would likely have just shaken his head at my persistent trouble with dates. *smiles sadly*

lofter, I'm so glad you posted. It still helps so much to know there are people out there who still miss him.
    Don't feel bad, I missed it too. Being in college now is catching up with me. I'll never forget about that kid, and I still have that mass card from the funeral taped to my closet. I'm glad Lofter posted something, it's nice to know that even if I forget to do it, someone else remembers.

RIP JB

Just looking through here after visiting Manhatten in 2006, a sad end to a sad story!

I was in school yesterday and missed the date again. RIP JB, nobody who knew you personally has forgotten.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Always in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by GINGER View Post
    Just looking through here after visiting Manhatten in 2006, a sad end to a sad story!
    I am now beginning to wonder if that "sad story" is one that needs to be told: as in some sort of 'documentary' or perhaps 'based on true events docudrama' as a TV or Movie release. Is their any 'need' for that, or any public or personal 'benefit' to be gained from a formal review of the subject?

I not sure: but I suspect that something of that nature will (if not already in the planning stages) surface. Enough time has passed where such a topic can be reasonable broached - as was not the case when the incident first happened.

I do not care one way or another so long as money is not made by one on the suffering of another.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I am now beginning to wonder if that "sad story" is one that needs to be told: as in some sort of 'documentary' or perhaps 'based on true events docudrama' as a TV or Movie release. Is their any 'need' for that, or any public or personal 'benefit' to be gained from a formal review of the subject?

I not sure: but I suspect that something of that nature will (if not already in the planning stages) surface. Enough time has passed where such a topic can be reasonable broached - as was not the case when the incident first happened.
    Having known JB personally, I don't know that I'd want to relive that. It wouldn't be appropriate for those of us who knew him, and I'm sure his family would never sign off.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021