Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

NYU student hit by car dies Eyewitness News

(New York -WABC, April 6, 2006) - An NYU student hit by a car during a robbery attempt over the weekend has died.

Twenty-year-old Broderick Hehman was taken off life support yesterday. He'd been in critical condition since being hit by a car in Harlem Saturday night. Police say he was running from a gang of teenagers who may have been yelling racial slurs at him.

No arrests have been made. Police are aggressively searching for the teens who were chasing Hehman.

(NY Post article)

'HATE' KILLED NYU KID
    By LARRY CELONA, ERIKA MARTINEZ and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

April 6, 2006 -- The NYPD hate-crimes unit is probing a report that a white NYU student killed by a car in Harlem was fleeing a gang of black teenagers screaming "Get whitey!" sources said yesterday.

If the report proves true, the violence could turn out to be an eerie replay in reverse of the infamous 1986 Howard Beach murder, where a black man was chased into traffic and killed by a group of white bigots.

The 20-year-old student, John Broderick Hehman, died yesterday, six days after the attack.

The sources said Hehman might have been targeted as a soft mark for robbers after the teenage gang spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man near the corner of 125th Street and Park Avenue Saturday night.

The gang of youths, some of them as young as 11, had been smoking pot inside a nearby Popeye's fast-food eatery at 8:30 p.m. when they spotted Hehman walking by and then stopping to help the handicapped man.

An anonymous caller later tipped the CrimeStoppers hot line that a group of youths screamed, "Get Whitey!" and ran toward him.

Witnesses said Hehman fled into traffic against the light and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling east on 125th Street.

The 38-year-old driver remained at the scene and was not charged.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a witness.

"I couldn't believe it was a person," he said.

Hehman, known as "J.B.," had been in a coma since he was struck.

He died of massive head trauma at Harlem Hospital.

His sister, Marisa, said he had been walking to meet a friend when he was attacked.

His father, Manhattan investment banker Thomas Hehman, lives on the Upper East Side.

On a student Web site, Hehman joked his off-campus interests included "doing laundry."

Meanwhile, cops yesterday fanned out around the area where the attack occurred looking for witnesses and putting up fliers.

In the notorious Howard Beach case, John Lester, 17, confronted a group of three black men whose car had broken down in the predominately white Queens neighborhood.

Lester, shouting, "Kill the n-----s," chased one of the black men, Michael Griffith, onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

larry.celona@nypost.com

"... spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man."

I was afraid to ask, and I still am.

But fear is not the reason why I am not asking. I just do not think it is appropriate. NO reason that results in this would be an appropriate one.

Problem is, I keep sitting here thinking about all the "what-if's" as if I could have done a damn thing to have prevented this. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but it is very frustrating.

I hardly even knew the guy! But he is akin to the light fixture you notice more when gone and realize how integral he was to the room. There were places he lit up that few of us saw and we will be hard pressed to see them again without him.

I hope his pain was short, and that his family is taking this well.

Banned Member

Ninjah-

I sense you are articulating how we all feel. It is a genuine loss for us. We're all anonymous on here, but we are all real and develop our own quirky on-line personalities. He was someone I think most of us felt a great deal of affection for. For me especially, when he explained the TLOZ stood for The Legend of Zelda. I hope people jump over to the remembering JB thread and help us find a way to memorialize his life and contributions to the forum.
    Last edited by BrooklynRider; April 6th, 2006 at 04:17 PM.

Banned Member

Unhappy

Reading this post from March 9, 2004 is like a punch in the gut...

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Most of New York is very safe to walk around at night, but you should always be wary of your surroundings because even the nicest of neighborhoods have some crime. I've never been mugged, even in notorios neighborhoods like Harlem, but always be on your guard.

Here are a few tips:

Walk assertively, confidently, briskly and close to the curb, like a native New Yorker. Like in any city, pickpockets and the like prey on anyone who looks like a tourist; easy marks. If you must look around or above you to take in the sights, try and be nonchalant about it.

Always have a MetroCard, enough money for cab fare, and loose change to use a payphone if you don't have a cell phone on you. This isn't necessarily due to staying safe, but if you're stuck in TriBeCa when your hotel is on 57th Street you'll want to be able to get back without having to walk.

At night, walk on the avenues or major streets (examples would by 59th, 57th, 42nd, and 14th) where there are more people and lights; random crime more often occurs on sidestreets that don't have as many nightspots or streetlights. If you think you're being followed, several options are available to you: pretend to call someone up on your cell phone (if you have it) and have a pretend conversation that would make passersby believe you're just about to meet someone. You could also duck into a restaurant, shop, hotel, "doorman" apartment building, or other place along these lines and wait until the person you suspect passes. If they wait outside or go inside with you, ask to speak to a hostess or manager and have them call the police (be sure to do this in a nondescript way if you're followed in). Often this will turn out to be a false alarm, but safety should come first. If the option of going into a place of business is not available, draw attention to yourself while you still have the option of doing so—going into a psychotic/schizophrenic fit has actually worked for a lot of my friends when they're in a sticky situation.

Even when you have the light or there don't seem to be any cars around, look in the direction traffic is coming from, (or both if it's a two-way street) as well as where it's turning onto. For example, if you're on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Broadway and crossing to the southeast corner when you have the light, make sure that there is no crosstown traffic turning from Ninth onto Broadway. And always give taxi drivers the right of way.

The subways are safe, but stay away from the edge of the platform if you're worried about being shoved in (probably won't happen, of course, but be on the safe side if you have doubts). Late at night, ride in the more-occupied cars, namely the middle one where the conductor is or the front car where the driver is.

The parks are also safe, even at night, but it's not a good idea to go in them after dark. Joggers and people walking on their way home will do this with no problem, but there's always a chance of being mugged (though that chance is increasingly slimmer, thank God); or if you get into some other kind of trouble like get lost or hurt yourself, there probably won't be any people around to help you.

It's generally advised to visitors lodging in hotels, no matter the destination, to flip their deadbolts in addition to the automatic locks on their doors. I'd do this here, as well.

Use your common sense, above all things.

Have fun!

It's a tragic irony that TLOZ was one of the more pragmatic and kind people you could hope to meet in this city.

I think it's important to read TLOZ's words as he intended them, and not project your own ideas of how he would phrase things now. He spent twenty years building up his opinions and ideas, and it's a disservice to his life to throw that away.

Banned Member

It just eats at me that someone who seemed to try to find and emphasize the positive side of things falls prey like this. I think it goes back to Ninjah's post and the "what if's."

I have to admit to finding this whole experience extremely odd and disturbing. We come to these forums cloaked in anonymity, which lets us post without much recourse from others other than criticism. We think we are anonymous and then here we (or "I" anyway) realize that where ever we choose to inject our spirit and energy - even without a physical persona - we are not anonymous and we are no longer unaffected.

It's an interesting sociological study. He we all are in a virtual mourning, sharing it with the only people who would understand - none of whom we actually know. It is all "virtual", but it seems to me that we are all sharing a very real place that we all created together.

Being somewhat older, I think the youth of JB and seeing a bright light go out so tragically is just touching something in me.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

In hindsight, it would have been better for him to confront those thugs than run from them. Getting beat up and robbed would've gotten him some bruises and cuts but he'd still be around today and who knows, might even be telling us about it right now just like the time he was in Bushwick:

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    Funny thing is, the trouble for me started when I got off the subway in Bushwick. Three guys were walking ahead of me and my friend, and they kept looking over their shoulders at us, as if plotting their next move to coincide with ours. It was obvious enough to my friend, who is from Washington Heights, that they were plotting whether to mug us, and even naïve little old me could tell something was off, too.

On our way back to the subway, a gaggle of hipsters — there must have been 30 of them; why do they always travel in packs? — swarmed out of the darkness — there are practically no streetlights there — just as we reached the station. It was surreal.

In most parts, Bushwick needs a lot of work. There's very little active streetlife like in the Village or even in Willimsburgh; truly residential areas aside, the dense concentration of warehouses create blank walls at ground level with little opportunity for retail without serious renovations: housing projects for hipsters. By comparison, I felt safer in Bed-Stuy because the area I went to was mostly rowhouses with front stoops, with a main commercial strip just a few blocks away.

In any case, I don't judge Brooklyn by what happens in Bushwick, and no one with any sense would do that either. It's like judging Boston by what happens in Dorchester.

Default I do know JB's family

I read that one of you thought it would be nice to collect all of JB's postings and put them on the cd. I think his father and sister would both like that. If you want to do that, you could send it to me and I would give it to them. I am a friend of the family.

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Harlem thugs tied to vid

BY RICH SCHAPIRO and TONY SCLAFANI
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Friday, April 7th, 2006

The Harlem hooligans who killed an NYU student by chasing him into the path of a car were videotaped trashing a nearby McDonald's, law enforcement sources revealed yesterday.

The footage could prove crucial in the hunt for the teens who screamed "Get the white boy!" as they chased John Broderick Hehman, 20, into traffic Saturday, the sources said.

At least two dozen punks were caught on video terrorizing workers at the E. 125th St. McDonald's on March 24 - a week before Hehman was fatally injured a block away, sources said.

The suspects - including black teens who sources say attacked Hehman - kicked over trash cans, hurled trays through the air and knocked around registers, a witness said.

"I was terrified. I literally thought they were all going to jump over the counter and come after us," said McDonald's manager Maria Prandy, 33, who was hit in the face with a tray. "I've never been as scared as I was that night."

Cops recognized some of the faces on the video, and homicide detectives and investigators from the Hate Crimes Task Force were scouring the neighborhood for witnesses yesterday. Police also plastered posters in storefronts and on poles asking for the public's help. One witness has already come forward.

Investigators believe the three teens who confronted Hehman are part of the roving gang that has wreaked havoc in several stores along 125th St. One teen was arrested after the March 24 incident, sources said. Five other teens involved with the McDonald's ruckus were in custody last night, sources said, but the three who accosted Hehman were still on the loose.

"They're punks. They're destroying these places," a police source said. "They pretty much prey on anyone in the neighborhood."

Chatting on a cell phone on his way to visit a buddy, Hehman was confronted outside a Popeye's fast-food joint at 125th St. and Park Ave. at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, sources said. "I'm almost there," he told the pal before the line went dead, sources said.

After Hehman handed a wheelchair-bound homeless man a dollar bill, one of his attackers asked him, "What about us? Where's our dollar?' " the sources said.

They then pushed Hehman and screamed "Get the white boy!" as the frightened NYU junior darted into the street where he was run down by a silver Mercedes.

Hehman died Wednesday at Harlem Hospital. His death is being probed as a possible hate crime.

The attack echoes the infamous Howard Beach case in 1986 when a group of racist white thugs chased a black man onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

It looks like some good detective work might flush these guys out.

I hope so -- I've been thinking a lot over the past couple of days about who could have caused JB's death. And how could they just walk / run away from the scene?

It's sad that, even though there was video from an incident with this gang one week before JB was killed, it was only after JB's death that the video was looked at in a serious way to get these punks off the streets.

Ironic that even in his passing JB might end up doing a lot of good for a lot of people.

Banned Member

The greatest assest to him in life and death is the seemingly positive and productive people he surrounded himself with. I think there's A LOT of energy being generated for his good and ultimately his justice from this site alone. I think he would be pleased to know what a unifying force he has become.

I can´t get this story out of my mind.

Is it continuing to get coverage in NY? It should be a cause célèbre. This was a hate crime... there were racial taunts. There should be zero tolerance for this stuff. It´s happened before and should never happen again in NY. This story should be getting a lot of coverage...it should be an example... with a major effort to get these punks.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast