Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

Default I Don't Want to Believe It

I don't visit this Forum very much any more, but it was fate that I chose to click on the "Moving to Harlem" thread today, which is where I learned of TLOZ's tragic, pointless, wasteful death.

I am shocked, I'm hurting and I'm crying. I'm very surprised at how this is affecting me. I'm not a "people person", so maybe the passion for NYC we all share here has a lot to do with it. Despite the anonymity and, in my case, insignificant presence, there's still a very strong connection.

I always really liked JB's wonderful avatar of Peter Green. After seeing the photos of him, he, of course, looked quite different and connecting with his true self, even if just through photos, makes it hurt all the more. But I'll always remember him by that avatar. I'll miss seeing it and I'll miss JB's wit, his wisdom and his intellect, but, above all, what I'll really notice the absence of is his unconditional friendliness and gentle disposition. JB was easily the nicest person on this forum. I feel privileged to have "met" him here, but I wish I could have really "known" him. Please don't let anyone else use that avatar, Edward.

I wish JB's family and friends all the strength and courage they will need to deal with their loss.

Although I live in Australia, I would like to contribute to whatever you all decide to do. Please let me know how I can help, money towards a memorial, whatever.

1010 WINS - On-Air, Online, On Demand

Posted: Sunday, 09 April 2006 5:40AM

Four Teens Arrested in NYU Student's Death

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police say they have arrested four teenage boys in the death of a college student struck by a car in Harlem earlier this month.

Authorities believe the suspects chased the victim, Broderick Hehman, 20, into the busy street.

Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both age 15, face second-degree murder and attempted robbery charges. Charges are still pending against the two other suspects, both age 13.

Hehman, a junior at New York University, was struck by a silver Mercedes on East 125th Street near Park Avenue, on April 1. He died three days later.

Police say the driver of the vehicle is not facing any charges.

© 2006 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO & EYE Logo TM & © 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    It might also bring people to the site who have any bits of info. Here they can post anonymously.
    Intriguing thought.

Default made my day

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    1010 WINS - On-Air, Online, On Demand

Posted: Sunday, 09 April 2006 5:40AM

Four Teens Arrested in NYU Student's Death

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police say they have arrested four teenage boys in the death of a college student struck by a car in Harlem earlier this month.

Authorities believe the suspects chased the victim, Broderick Hehman, 20, into the busy street.
    Thanks Zippy, made my day ......... I have not been able to stop thinking about this issue.......I am not going to ignore it......I know that corner well......it is crowded and busy at that time.....I think he had to run because no one around him was willing to help him.....I am not going to be one of those people......PM me if I can be of any help....I live in that area.
    Last edited by infoshare; April 9th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

I'm glad to hear that those monsters are in custody. It seems very likely that charges will be upgraded.

ETA a quote from a NY1 article:

"Eric Adams of 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement says Hehman died for two reasons.

"One, because he made a decision to do a kind act for someone. Second because of his ethnicity; that's unacceptable," he said."

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=58478

Jinx, Comelade.

What a tragedy these kids are so young ...and in groups kids can do the wildest things... pack mentality. But they´ll have to be an example.... zero tolerance. No more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    ...and in groups kids can do the wildest things ... pack mentality.
    NYC was confronted with something like this a few years back.

The REACTION of the City at that time was not one of our better moments, to say the least.

I awoke this morning and read this thread for the first time. I could not immediately post because I was too upset. After several hours I can't stop thinking about this over and over again, and the tears keep coming back.
    My deepest sympathy to his loved ones.
    I could say so much about Harlem, America, hate, racism, Whites, Blacks, problems of gentrification, or whatever, but for now I will hold my angry words and try to
    calm down.
    He represented the very best of what a young man should be.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

From WCBS:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_098215027.html

But the group, "100 Blacks in Law Enforcement" claim the police have been reluctant to report hate crimes in the past and members said the case may have caused more public outrage if the victim was black and his attackers were white.
    Last edited by czsz; April 9th, 2006 at 05:11 PM.

^ Even here, if he hadn't been family.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    I'm glad to hear that those monsters are in custody.
    Yeah, but are they the right monsters? Nothing can be more tragic than to not only lose TLOZ, but to have innocent people in custody while the guilty is roaming free and having a good laugh at the justice system. We can only hope those truly responsible for this crime are captured and punished.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    ^ Even here, if he hadn't been family.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, and I really don't see what good snarking about the intentions of black civic leaders or community members of any race is going to do.

I had a friend who was murdered in Harlem in December of 2004. He was shot in his apartment. He wasn't in the area to buy drugs and he wasn't engaged in any criminal activity. No one knows why he was killed, and unless you knew him in life, you would probably not recognize his name now.

Should I blame the lack of attention paid to his murder on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? And if so, why should that be? I can't see any reason other than to make myself feel better by beating my breast and shouting about so-called "reverse racism." Maybe I could wonder why in the world someone who's not looking for trouble would dare walk down a street, much less live, in Harlem.

If I wanted to do that, I'd head on over to FreeRepublic.com and join in the chorus. In case you haven't paid attention, that's exactly what they're doing about JB's murder over there right now. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have such an intelligent and rational group of people picking up his mantle.

Unlike many murders, victims of all races included, JB's murder actually is picking up a significant amount of public attention. It has been slow in coming, but this is a somewhat complex case. Let's not reduce this case, and in turn, his memory, to the lowest common denominator.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Yeah, but are they the right monsters? Nothing can be more tragic than to not only lose TLOZ, but to have innocent people in custody while the guilty is roaming free and having a good laugh at the justice system. We can only hope those responsible are captured and punished.
    And I'll agree with you there.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast