Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PLZ help: moving to NY or LA???

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar
    I will arrive in NY mid august... what do u suggest to do first?
    Check to make sure that your Air Conditioner is working properly.

Forum Veteran

i accepted Columbia's offer, i applied for housing and crossed my fingers...
    i am quite excited as you may imagine, a bit scared: i resigned from my job, and waiting for documents to apply for Visa (i don't understand why Columbia doesn't do as NYU or other universities, that sent the I20 with the acceptance letter)... I have to move there from Italy and start to be student again. Sometime i wonder if i did the right choice...
    I will arrive in NY mid august... what do u suggest to do first? anything i cant miss?
    thanks a lot in advance
    Congrats! You won't be sorry about the move to Columbia or NYC. As far as what to do, there's so much. Search this board like crazy and you'll see more than you could hope for.

Good luck and all the best.

Im considering leaving NY to go to LA. Ive made arrangements to go visit this Nov. with a friend. I like NY dont get me wrong, but LA seems much more relaxed, nice weather, beaches are great. I just think Id like it better. We'll see...

Forum Veteran

I plan to move to LA later in life when I get bored and/or less mobile. Kind of like Laverne and Shirley. Until then NY has too many opportunities to offer.

Yankee- have you been able to get out of the city at all? It really eases the transition to be able to get out and miss it a bit. I like rural pa for an extreme change of pace.

I'm out right now. Im in the mountains of West Virginia. Next week Ill be in TN. Im coming back to the city on the 30th. Im not really missing it too bad at the moment.

Forum Veteran

That's too bad - you were so excited to move here! What's disappointed you?

Stress. Not really from the city itself, but as you would assume it hasnt helped. Ive made some changes in my schedule that may help me out, I hope so. Which includes getting out of the city ATLEAST once a month. Since I came back in Jan. this is my first time outside of the city. I like NY still, I just dont think I want to stay here after college. I really miss having my car too.

I think you did well. I live in Vienna, Austria and have visited both New York and LA. I would have settled for New York too! Good choice. I feel better in New York, better atmosphere. Also it is my impression that LA is less safe, pretty high street crime rate. I think the only advantage LA has: better temperatures in winter….

i accepted Columbia's offer, i applied for housing and crossed my fingers...
    i am quite excited as you may imagine, a bit scared: i resigned from my job, and waiting for documents to apply for Visa (i don't understand why Columbia doesn't do as NYU or other universities, that sent the I20 with the acceptance letter)... I have to move there from Italy and start to be student again. Sometime i wonder if i did the right choice...
    I will arrive in NY mid august... what do u suggest to do first? anything i cant miss?
    thanks a lot in advance
    Good choice... Wish you luck with Columbia housing... I think you should be on the top of the list, coming from abroad... Most universities take the student's origin into consideration...

One more thing... you will love the food in NYC..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12