Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remembering JB

Banned Member

I am having a unique and very inspiring experience with our project team. One of the tasks that has been undertaken by a group of people from, literally around this country and the world, is sorting through and finding what can probably be referred to as the best of J.B. "TLOZ Link5" Hehman posts. As this is the public "Remembering JB" thread, I just need to state here how incredibly moved I have been reviewing those posts pulled by our team. As we all work on this and read and reread his posts, it is so apparent that we have lost a truly inspiring man.

Working on our project, we initially reacted to the loss of one of our most prolific posters. Having this project focus on the substance of those posts has made this loss something that I personally grieve all the more. I spoke about him today at a workshop and there was a lot of emotion. There were tears of sadness in my words and the cleansing tears of truth. We have really lost a great, great guy. I hope our final "best of TLOZ" will find a permanent memorial placement for th future of this site, so everyone can enjoy his words.

Having moved away from NYC several years ago, I am an infrequent visitor to this site. I suppose I'd be labeled a lurker.

Over the past two nights, I have been reading the sad story of JB's death. Having not known him, I feel such an odd sadness from it.

He was obviously an incredibly intelligent, articulate, and, most importantly, well-respected young man.

The compassion you have all shown is remarkable, and makes me, once again, proud to have spent the first 35 years of my life in NYC.

I do hope that, when the time is right, his family will be able to read these posts, and take solace in the fact that they raised such an upstanding young man.

I just found this. I did check, but apologies if I missed it being posted already.

It provides a poignant insight into JB's early years from someone close to him.

http://liberalserving.typepad.com/li...ril_1_200.html

Broderick John Hehman (JB, but i knew him as BJ) was one of the brighest and finest people I knew. I spent almost every moment with him from the age of 4 until 9...we were both in special education on the Upper West Side of Manhattan with serious emotional difficulties. I mainstreamed into another school after my 3rd grade year but JB stayed on through HS...he worked EXTREMELY hard to overcome his emotional struggles, as i did, and to see him go down like this, so soon after he was on the right track in leading a wonderful life, is extremely difficult for me. I spent a lot of time with his family over the past week and i don't know if any of you know, but BJ lost his mother in October so this family has gone through a lot...

I could care less how the POST displayed this tragedy...I hate the POST but those kids who did this deserve judgement. People keep reminding me that these were "individuals" in the Harlem community but my anger is so great that I see all of them as the same right now. If anything, I will take my revenge in Broderick John's name in another way other then killing one of those racist bastard children. BJ wasn't a racist...he was the least racist person that I knew. He ONLY cared about the public interest and always put the world ahead of his own desires. I wish the people that destroyed him knew that, felt that...i know it.

BJ, your life vision will live on with me.

Posted by: Jonas Borra (JB's Best Friend from Childhood) | April 23, 2006 at 08:45 PM

Banned Member

How sad. I can understand the feel for vengeance a person might have, but hopefully that will subside. The news bears out that this wasn't a racially motivated attack, but it was senseless and people are going to try to attached some sense to it - even it it means assuming it was done for reasons unproven.

It is so interesting to get insight on JB's earlier life. His life may have been short, but it certainly was full. Thanks for sharing that. I'm all the more glad that we are going forward with a memorial. So people like that poster and JB's family know no one is forgetting him.

Merry thanks for posting it.... this adds a new light on JB... making him even more special and this whole thing ...even sadder.

that's something jonas would say.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123