Thread: Past New York.

Default Past New York.

Having visited NY for the first time in February I came on here and waxed lyrically about how great a city it was,how comfortable we felt walking around,how clean it was,never once did we feel threatened(apart from an unfortunate incident on the Bowery!)We used the subway on a night and walked where we wanted,something i'm loathe to do in central London,Glasgow,Bristol most of the time.
    I've since read quite a few things recently about the difference now in NY and in the past,you guys on here seem well informed on the matter,when did it all change?What where the bleakest times?In what way was it bad?Was it hoodlums,gangsters,was the city dirty?
    Any info would be greatfully recieved,thank you.

I really don't understand how Britons feel safer in New York than central London. I guess if one sticks to the very upscale/busy parts of the city, but even in Midtown Manhattan, there are places that can be unpleasant in the early morning hours. Eighth Ave. between Penn Station and Times Square is not fun, nor is Broadway between Herald and Madison Squares. I can't think of analogously sketchy places in London.

We actually stayed on eigth ave between Penn station and Times square at the Milford plaza,the area is as safe as houses,we mooched about on the way home from bars at 4 and 5 in the morning and never once felt intimidated!I've had hair raising nights/evenings in Kings cross,Victoria,Deptford,Forest hill and Mile end to name but a few!It's nearly always a taxi late at night for me,no walking!

It is a lot safer now than it was. See this thread.

Some incredible observations there,thanks!
    What was the catalyst for change,has it been a recent thing or did the re-juvination(spelling?)begin a long time ago and us Brits have only noticed the change as more tourists come home and sing NY's praises?

Quote Originally Posted by GINGER
    What was the catalyst for change,has it been a recent thing or did the re-juvination(spelling?)begin a long time ago and us Brits have only noticed the change as more tourists come home and sing NY's praises?
    Booster rocket was Rudy Giuliani (and his police chief).