Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: 309 Fifth Avenue - Hotel/Condo - by Ismael Levya

I don't like this building, but I've noticed it looks MUCH better in bad weather when the mullions are set off against the reflective, wavy windows.

This and the piece of junk to the north are abominable. I hope that whatever JDS builds behind it on Madison is nice.

Default 9 March 2013

Default 2 June 2013

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

So funny, brokers are trying to call this area Gramercy Park!

The top of this came out uglier than the top of all the other ugly buildings in the area. I wasn't sure that was even possible. I'll snap a pic next time it's sunny out.

Couldn't these cheap SOBs have covered the floor plates?
    Last edited by londonlawyer; June 7th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Went back to page 1 to read this thread again (boy, is it confusing at the beginning!).

The two short buildings look like one structure in this photo. It would've been nice to see both disappear.

The ornamentation on 307 is amazing (William I. Hohauser, 1928).

It would have been nice if these creeps built something good -- not this POS.

A mediocre 'building standard' type of architectural design that could only be described as "good enough" - and thats being generous. What I want to know is what happened to this 'fairly nice looking' architectural design that was the original proposal. http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...l=1#post168526

Good, better - best: they missed it by 2.

Maybe I just have 'unrealistic' expectations for the quality of the 'architectural design' of new buildings in NYC; but most new buildings going up these days are a dull, and dreary looking.

I can buy dull, but there's nothing particularly dreary about all glass buildings. I would posit, though, that at any given time, most of the buildings being built are at best mediocre. I know people will quickly point to pre-war stuff, but I can almost guarantee there were tons of awful tenement buildings constructed at the same time, and they're almost universally gone. They were not built to last. I find it incredibly hard to believe that the ratio is particularly worse right now, especially compared to the built record circa 1965-1990.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I can buy dull, but there's nothing particularly dreary about all glass buildings. I would posit, though, that at any given time, most of the buildings being built are at best mediocre.
    "Dreary" in the sense that the design actually has a 'dispiriting' effect on anyone with a discerning eye for architectural design: which, given the fact that 'buildings' are first and foremost utilitarian objects - the 'building' looks good enough.

I disagree that "at any given time, most of the buildings being built ... were mediocre" I can say with certainty that 'most' any building constructed in NYC in the 19th century and early 20th century possessed considerable artistic merit: even tenement buildings typically had lovely intricate stonework, and corbels, and articulated brick work: no, something 'major' has changed in our capacity to build truly 'artistic' looking buildings with genuine 'architectural merit'. It is a 'cultural ' shift perhaps, or the decline of our civilization, or adverse economic conditions in the construction industry, ext.

Or, dare I say - 'barbarians' are running things these days. That being said, barbaric looking buildings are the physical manifestation of that unfortunate present condition.

I don't agree with that. In the Garment District, for example, there is street after street of really beautiful old buildings.

Any one district might in fact have a bunch of bunch of beautiful buildings, but there were plenty of places with not beautiful buildings being built. And speaking of not beautiful buildings:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast